Introduction

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Tracy Lorraine

Re: Introduction

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

MikeTheEngineer wrote:Here's the hand sculpt for my next doll.
Constructive feedback welcome.

So.....am I correct in thinking your sculpts will be computer generated instead of hands-on clay sculpting?
MikeTheEngineer

Post by MikeTheEngineer »

Tracy Lorraine wrote:
MikeTheEngineer wrote:Here's the hand sculpt for my next doll.
Constructive feedback welcome.

So.....am I correct in thinking your sculpts will be computer generated instead of hands-on clay sculpting?
Yes. I did mention that in my intro, did I not?
MikeTheEngineer

Head sculpt:
Last edited by MikeTheEngineer on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeTheEngineer

The software I use is highly-specialized software for generating AAA movie CGI. Though I'm nowhere near an expert, I can do some pretty decent work, that translates very well to silicone. Combined with the hardware that constructs the molds for me... I can make any number of dolls/sizes/shapes very rapidly. I can add in subtle details as small as .2mm (8/100ths of an inch). I can go even further... but the human eye would never be able to make it out. I can resize any previous sculpt with ease, change the pose in seconds, etc etc.
I can go to exacting detail, or completely wild. I can even use a series of photos to create a 3D model of a living child, turn that in a mold, and cast an identical twin in doll form. Virtually anything is possible.
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

Welcome to Doll-Fan!
You are very interesting!
I can't help with your questions, because I am just a collector,
but you can look under the "Creative Play" page to see what others are sharing.
I look forward to seeing what you do.

I am interested in the portrait of a child process.
Do you have any examples of that?
Dolls for Sale: https://www.reborns.com/VinStyleandMore and Vintage baby clothes & shoes for sale: https://vinstyleandmore.etsy.com
ABabyC

Post by ABabyC »

Welcome Mike! :D

I'm a CG artist and have been thinking about sculpting babies in something like ZBrush, mudbox etc for a long time. I just haven't really done anything about that dream unfortunately. Sculpting in a software is a lot more like sculpting in clay than people realize. It's really quite wonderful! :D I don't have the engineering skills like you do, but I think I will send you a pm as this whole idea seems a lot like the one that I have been concocting in my head for the past year or so ;)
MikeTheEngineer

ABabyC wrote:Welcome Mike! :D

I'm a CG artist and have been thinking about sculpting babies in something like ZBrush, mudbox etc for a long time. I just haven't really done anything about that dream unfortunately. Sculpting in a software is a lot more like sculpting in clay than people realize. It's really quite wonderful! :D I don't have the engineering skills like you do, but I think I will send you a pm as this whole idea seems a lot like the one that I have been concocting in my head for the past year or so ;)
Sculpting in CG is *harder* than clay... because the tools don't always do what one would expect them to do. But, if you can master the tools, it's very similar.
MikeTheEngineer

Barbara L. wrote:Welcome to Doll-Fan!
You are very interesting!
I can't help with your questions, because I am just a collector,
but you can look under the "Creative Play" page to see what others are sharing.
I look forward to seeing what you do.

I am interested in the portrait of a child process.
Do you have any examples of that?
http://www.123dapp.com/catch

I have no idea how well it works. But I could always show someone what it'd look like *before* I make the mold. ^_^
KristinaLynn1981

Post by KristinaLynn1981 »

Welcome!! Super excited to see your upcoming work!
ABabyC

Post by ABabyC »

MikeTheEngineer wrote:
ABabyC wrote:Welcome Mike! :D

Sculpting in CG is *harder* than clay... because the tools don't always do what one would expect them to do. But, if you can master the tools, it's very similar.
I believe it's a preference thing. It's like some find it easier to draw in real life and for others drawing in photoshop or a similar program is like coming home ;)

Well I know the feeling about the different tools, depending on the software there are just so, so many to choose from, you almost get drowned in options :lol:
MikeTheEngineer

KristinaLynn1981 wrote:Welcome!! Super excited to see your upcoming work!
My proof of concept (very course, non-posed, simple) 17 inch doll will be ready some time tomorrow.
While I work on that one, I've finished my 2nd model and have the molds in the process of construction. Downside for my method: It takes *forever* to make the mold. 48+ hours for 17inch... and doubling the size = 8 times the time to make the mold. Though, this can be offset with more equipment. With enough, I could get the entire mold construction process down to 8-12 hours.

So, I should have my 2nd one ready in about a week.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

This is all over my head...but wanted to say welcome to DF Mike...
I look forward to seeing more of your work...
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Veddery intwesting.... I think next you need to look at the "little" things like detail creases, tearducts, the lines on the lips, all the lines on the palm on the hands and stuff that make a human look real and not so smooth. What age do you have in mind for the head that you have done above?
tiffanybw

Post by tiffanybw »

All over my head too. I understand absolutely nothing about anything that is being talked about. :lol:

What I do know is, you got my immediate attention at mentioning being able to create identical dolls from photos. And so I am also excited and looking forward to seeing your work.

Welcome! :foryou:

My sweet nephew Jeremiah, 1 month old now!
MikeTheEngineer

Brooke wrote:Veddery intwesting.... I think next you need to look at the "little" things like detail creases, tearducts, the lines on the lips, all the lines on the palm on the hands and stuff that make a human look real and not so smooth. What age do you have in mind for the head that you have done above?
Thanks. I'd intended on adding more lines. Once I get a base model down, I can always go in and add more lines/creases. I'm just taking it one step at a time. The doll I'm making now (the screenshots I posted) will be 24 inch female. I need more experience (and to sell a couple to recoup my expenses) before I delve too deeply into ultra realism. ^_^
MikeTheEngineer

tiffanybw wrote:All over my head too. I understand absolutely nothing about anything that is being talked about. :lol:

What I do know is, you got my immediate attention at mentioning being able to create identical dolls from photos. And so I am also excited and looking forward to seeing your work.

Welcome! :foryou:
*note* I will not make dolls identical to other dolls. I was referring to making dolls that are twins to real life counterparts. ^_^
MikeTheEngineer

In theory... I could even make a doll identical to an adult, and shrink down to child portions... It'd look odd... but unique. ;)
tiffanybw

Post by tiffanybw »

Ha, ha! No. I was thinking my children, their baby pictures. :)

My sweet nephew Jeremiah, 1 month old now!
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Hi Mike, welcome to DF. I am always happy to see a new artist, which you are now by the way. I look forward to following your progress. Looks like you are on the right track and doing a great job.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
MikeTheEngineer

tiffanybw wrote:Ha, ha! No. I was thinking my children, their baby pictures. :)
Unfortunately the accuracy of just a single picture (or even multiple pictures at different times) won't have very good accuracy. Though I may be able to get a close approximation with some additional sculpting.