Anyone else feeling priced out of the market?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Susan Cornelius

Anyone else feeling priced out of the market?

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I had started to read another thread on this, but at the moment I can't find it.
I've been collecting dolls for 20 years and I've spent anywhere from $200-$4,000 each for dolls over this period.
I feel like the prices keep going up and up and up - sky rocketing out of site. I mostly look on ebay.
I'm not undercutting peoples talent, or workmanship - and of course the way you earn money. I'm just saying that for me, I like to get a nice quality reborn for $600-$800, although I've paid as much as $1500. I'd like to get a nice silicone for no more than $3,000, although I paid $4,000 once.
When I look at dolls for sale these days and see that these two categories in particular have doubled and tripled what I am willing to pay - I wonder if my collecting days are over. I always think that the market will even out - because after all - is there a ton of people who can afford to spend these higher prices on dolls? Are there several who can afford to buy a toy for what a car would cost them?
Please don't be offended by my post - I'm all for free enterprise, I'm just wondering if for me, I need a new hobby. I simply can not justify spending for example 1500 on a reborn and selling it secondary market for $300.. And secondary market is NOT good folks.
Whats your OP? :?
Sandis Doll House

Re: Anyone else feeling priced out of the market?

Post by Sandis Doll House »

I know the prices have seriously slowed down my doll collecting. It's disheartening to think you can never recoup your money on a doll you pay big $$$ for.
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I would also like to say that I tend to enjoy the lesser expensive dolls more, because I can actually play with them - and not feel guilty about being in debt. I recently purchased a doll on ebay from Italy for $200 shipped and i have had hands down the most fun every with this precious little girl. If I could post pictures here I would love to share her. Maybe I need to just look in my price range with advanced search and find dolls I can afford to own, rather than doing advanced search "reborn dolls" "highest prices first" and coveting those I simply can not buy.
cyndig77

Post by cyndig77 »

I agree....I had no fun with the expensive dolls I owned. I was so careful of them that I didn't get to enjoy them. I lost money when I sold them but I love the ones I have and I can enjoy them. I do have some beautiful "dream" dolls but I bought them on the secondary market from other collectors who I trust and I didn't have to pay more than I could afford for them.
Annette

Post by Annette »

I agree with you. It seems that the dolls, whichever medium they are, are getting way too expensive for some of us. At one time, we could get a beautiful reborn for less than $300, but now, they are double and more than that. I also agree that a few artist's work is definitely worth what they charge. Kits too, are way more expensive than they used to be.
I understand that costs of having kits and silicones etc. poured/manufactured, have gone up, so artists/sculptors have to recoup the costs by charging more for them.
Personally, I either have to trade or do layaway for any dolls/kits I would like. And silicones, unless the seller offers a really loooong layaway, are not in my future. :lol:
Being on a fixed income, puts a big damper on collecting. Although, there is one artist who's creations are my dream, so, if I can save for a few years, or win the lottery, I am hoping to get just one of her creations one day. :)
Hugs Annette
LanaDollfana

Post by LanaDollfana »

I agree completely. I appreciate the talent, time, and cost reborners put into their dolls, and do not begrudge them any amount they can sell for, but I am out of the market now. I can only buy from the secondary market or trade. And, like Susan, I do not enjoy my more expensive dolls. Since I had two silicones split completely that were not even handled, I am afraid of buying them even with a long layaway. I am now giving away dolls to friends and nursing home as it is too discouraging to pay large prices and sell for perhaps a fourth of that amount.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I totally agree with you Susan. At one time I had quite a large doll collection. A few years ago I sold all my high end silicone babies except for one. I also sold all my ooaks except for my two Helland's as well as a large collection of Himstedts. I have a couple of my high end reborns in my collection as well. I still need to downsize my collection of composition and bisque dolls.
I retired three years ago and am now very careful about which dolls I buy. It has to be a baby I absolutely can't live without for me to even consider it. It is so disheartening to see people pay thousands of dollars for high end dolls only to see them a year later trying to sell them at a highly reduced cost. And even then sometimes no one seems interested in buying them.
Hugs,
Nadia

Annette

Post by Annette »

LanaDollfana wrote:I agree completely. I appreciate the talent, time, and cost reborners put into their dolls, and do not begrudge them any amount they can sell for, but I am out of the market now. I can only buy from the secondary market or trade. And, like Susan, I do not enjoy my more expensive dolls. Since I had two silicones split completely that were not even handled, I am afraid of buying them even with a long layaway. I am now giving away dolls to friends and nursing home as it is too discouraging to pay large prices and sell for perhaps a fourth of that amount.
Yes, I agree with you, Lana, and it's scary to even think about some silicones disintegrating with time.
I too, give most of my reborns to the nursing home my Mum was in. The nurses so appreciate them just as much as the Alzheimer patients. :)
Although I sold out of my reborns at the Christmas Craft show last year, I didn't sell any of them for more than $200Cdn. The funds aren't here, and people cringe when you tell them even that price.
I don't think, in all the years I've been collecting, I've ever managed to make money on more than two. :roll:
Hugs Annette
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

Since retiring 2 years ago, it is trading dolls or waiting & getting one on the secondary market. Used to do longer layaways, but medical costs have cut in to even doing that! Just can't justify my "wants" when something else is really needed. DH has always been supportive, but you can only get so much money out of a budget! Silicones would never be in the budget!!! I agree that if a seller can get a great price for their dolls, that is wonderful & I in no way begrudge anyone their hard earned labor!!! Because I know many, many hours are put into their work & they deserve to be paid for their labor, too!!
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

I agree completely. Reborns, if nice, are even out of reach a lot of times and because of lousy resell, it's just not smart to buy them. Silicones, unless on the secondary market, I don't even bother looking.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
MikeTheEngineer

Post by MikeTheEngineer »

Supply and demand. Hopefully I can increase my quality up to expected standards, and help on the supply side. ^_^
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

I have bought two reborns for more than I ever thought I would pay. I bought them knowing I would be keeping them as I have to laugh at people trying to sell a reborn on the second market for what some ask. I know if I were to sell these I would loose $$$ or more.. But I don't root hair and I don't want too so when I see a baby with gorgeous hair and I love the baby I want it.. I am eyeing another one right now too... lord stop me... my dolls on the other hand are priced very reasonable. But I know everyone has their different tastes too.. I will be listing a few for sell very soon if I buy this new one.. LOL......
Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama »

I also agree that the dolls have out priced my "want to pay". :( FBS are not even considered by me any more because of price. I am always happy for the new mommies that can adopt them. Some artists' work is AMAZING and I am sure deserves the high prices but I am just not willing to pay it, whether it be a silicone, OOAK or reborn. I still look at the "for sale" babies but rarely adopt.
Wishing you a blessed day.
Judith19

Post by Judith19 »

I have always sold my reborns for less than most for the very reason you bring up. I think there are a lot of people who would like a quality reborn with rooted hair, but can't afford them. There are many not so quality reborns on eBay that are priced high also. I am grateful to quite a few ladies on DF who have purchased my babies repeatedly. I think out of all I have created, two sold for $450 and that is because my cost has gone up too. I'm happy with that, but I probably won't charge that consistently. I reborn for something to keep me busy and happy~~~~~~ :heart: :heart: [/size]
AZRAYA $350.00 SOLD

Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

MikeTheEngineer wrote:Supply and demand. Hopefully I can increase my quality up to expected standards, and help on the supply side. ^_^

I can't wait to see your work. :dance:
SANDY29

Post by SANDY29 »

Hi Ladies,

I have felt like this as well. I have had a few beautiful costly silicones which I have brought and sold. When I reduced my collection and wanted to return, I found the dolls I wanted were out of my price range. To me it has done me a favour as I probably would never have found the perfect doll for me. I brought my first Janet Paulger Lullaby as it was all I could afford at the time. I am now the proud owner of 5 and have not looked back. To me they are perfection and I don't have to break the bank or feel guilty about spending so much money.

Hugs

Sandy xx
Amysbabies

Post by Amysbabies »

I remember when you used to be able to buy a high end reborn for $500..one of my favorites was a Bonnie brown reborn..she had the most beautiful handrooted hair and fantastic skin..im sorry I don't have that baby anymore..my collection now is really small
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

I too don't buy anymore, I have a beautiful collection of silicone, ooak, resin babies but not only have I been priced out of the market but I too am a bit afraid of the new silicone's disintegrating with time.

Years back you could buy a nice silicone for an affordable price but when you go to sell you only recoup about 30 percent if your lucky. It's sad to see so many true doll collectors leaving the dolly world. As much as I love dolls I have lost interest due to being priced out.

I even tried talking to some of my artist friends about the high cost now but money talks and as long as they can sell 6 babies or more a year for big bucks they don't really care about us collectors, which is really sad. As years ago we are the ones who bought their babies supported them as artist and helped them get where they are today. I know the babies take a lot of work to make but the prices have become unrealistic for the average collector. In time the prices will drop and the real collectors will be gone, everything circles back around at some point. I enjoy looking at all the babies but buying just isn't an option anymore, so sad.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
Jen

Post by Jen »

I don't really collect anymore. There are babies I would love to have, but I have lost money on pretty much every doll I have ever owned, save about 1 or 2. I just can't justify the prices on my income. I finally have a job, and have disposable income, but for me, I don't want to spend what people are asking. I have seen some great dolls, and some pretty bad ones all sell at the same prices, I don't really get it on some of them. I also don't have a lot of trust either.

I do think at some point things are going to change, sure there are people that CAN afford all the newest and best, and can take the hit if they have to sell, but I would guess most of us cannot. I don't like being in debt, so if I can't get a doll I want at a price I am ok with, or on a layaway if it is higher than I can shell out at once, I can walk away easily. Over the years I have realized that sculpts come and go, and there will ALWAYS be something I fall in love with. The next must have baby is right around the corner, it keeps us coming back. I have to say though, that at some point they all start to look the same, and I lose interest.

Right now I have one, and I am pretty happy with her. There are others I would love to have, and I am just saving and waiting for the right ones to come up. I think as the years go by prices will come down, I am not the most patient person, but I will wait :D
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

There are lots of really lovely reborns for between $400.00 and $800.00 yet. Just harder to find with all of the Chinese premade junk on ebay now days.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Visit all her photo album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3