Anyone else feeling priced out of the market?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
MikeTheEngineer

Re: Anyone else feeling priced out of the market?

Post by MikeTheEngineer »

tiffanybw wrote:
Ha, ha, yes. There are some I come across also where I go :shock: . Because the way they look, so horrible that it scares me and a person couldn't pay me enough money to take the doll! :wink:
There's one in particular that I saw... looked like mangled raw hamburger meat, with paint randomly thrown at it... about 17 inches... and it SOLD for $500. It was *by far* the worse one I've seen. Seriously... why would you pay $500 for something that DOES NOT resemble a child... when you can get the cheap generic looking full silicone dolls from China for $300... at least they LOOK like a child, if only vaguely.
DianeLovesBabies

Post by DianeLovesBabies »

I am very close to being priced out of the market to buy the silicone babies I love. I love to see the new ones coming out and if the artist can get their prices then good for them. I use to try and get the babies that appealed to me but when the babies are more than your monthly income, it is time to stop or slow down. I do admire the artist who are keeping it real and their prices decent for us collectors who made them what they are today. Now, I buy one great baby a year and enjoy the ones I have in my collection. Just re-dressing one makes me feel like I have a brand new baby.

Hugs,
Diane
Be happy and play with dolls!
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Ginny W wrote:There are lots of really lovely reborns for between $400.00 and $800.00 yet. Just harder to find with all of the Chinese premade junk on ebay now days.

yes, sorting through ebay is no fun... there are so many crappy dolls out there.. I will start with highest price first but it cracks me up what is in the 2000K range... like seriously...some people are just so delusional!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Becca

Post by Becca »

This post makes me feel a lot better. The prices get higher and the craftsmanship gets cheaper.

There are still some amazing artists I admire but their work often costs so much it would have to be a reward to myself after a lot of hard work :foryou: even then I would feel a bit disappointed with myself after I spent so much.
:foryou:
Rachie

Post by Rachie »

Great topic Susan, I also feel the prices have gone way beyond what I can afford, I love my doll hobby but rarely buy anymore, I have a very tiny collection of five now and to be honest having less I feel I appreciate them more, silicone is my absolute favourite medium but the prices have risen so that's me out, however, I do love to see all the new artist dolls silicones and beautifully done reborns and share in others excitement, I will never tire of that :)
smiles Rach
renee613

Post by renee613 »

My collection is barely a collection these days. I've bought/sold a number of dream babies and now wish I had kept a couple (namely Janika and Romie's Jolene). Looking back, if I knew I would have a rather empty nursery, I wouldn't have sold them. The next baby always seems more expensive and out of reach. I can only hope to win the lottery or something. :)
Dolly Hugs, Renee

Jasmin

Post by Jasmin »

The prices for the full body silicone babies have become outrageously high.

I myself would never pay over $ 4000.00 for any silicone doll.

I justified buying my Sissel Bjorstad Skille Ooak Victoria as she was a Ooak sculpt but I would not pay such a high price for a silicone baby.

Also noticed that there are many for sale in the " Silicone for sale section " and they don't seem to be selling as quickly as they used to...
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Jasmin wrote: Also noticed that there are many for sale in the " Silicone for sale section " and they don't seem to be selling as quickly as they used to...
This is true and so discouraging. Some of the dolls for sale have been reduced a lot and still no one is snapping them up. :(
Hugs,
Nadia

Inspired_Rebecca

Post by Inspired_Rebecca »

NadiaK wrote:
Jasmin wrote: Also noticed that there are many for sale in the " Silicone for sale section " and they don't seem to be selling as quickly as they used to...
This is true and so discouraging. Some of the dolls for sale have been reduced a lot and still no one is snapping them up. :(
I've noticed this, too, and there are some gorgeous dream babies listed -

I'm not sure if it's the prices or that a lot of collectors seem to be downsizing their collections due to lack of space, etc?
Rebecca
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

I now do cheaper kits and sell for no more than £200 tops ( $250 ) at today exchange rate plus posting. I do sell at dolls shows mainly. Mine have painted hair, I take 3/4 to a show at a time and sell them all. A lot of people were asking for cheaper reborns
here is a pic of a couple of mine - plus a close of up a face so you can judge their painting