Hubbys and dolls? ??

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
sal SA ButterflyBabies

Hubbys and dolls? ??

Post by sal SA ButterflyBabies »

:hi ya: many that know me would know i dont like disappointing any one, so tonight when my hubby said i was been deceitful as i did not tell him i was swaping a doll with a lady, was i wrong?
Wanted Please :baby:

Lullaby Babies By Janet Paulger and Carol Audis,

:foryou:
Tracy Lorraine

Re: Hubbys and dolls? ??

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

That's a tough question. I guess it would depend to what degree you are involved in each other's hobbies. My husband & I usually only discuss "larger" purchases with each other when it comes to our hobbies. It would drive me crazy if he told me every time he bought hunting ammo or a new camo shirt....but he talks to me about rifles or new ATV. Lol. I tell him when I buy a doll, but we don't discuss clothes or strollers. I'm sorry your hubby is upset with you. Maybe he was particularly fond of the one that you traded. :dunno:
MandyJ

Post by MandyJ »

Mick is like that Tracy, he collects all kinds of things but mostly it's coins and stamps and I have to show an interest because he does with my dolls but there's only so much gushing you can do over sticky little picture's of kings and queens of the world :lol:

I do enjoy his postal history though, I enjoy reading the letters and postcards that people wrote to one another hundreds of years ago, I wonder about them and their lives.

My hubby takes a very big interest in my collection Sal and I just asked him what he thought ... he said if there is no money exchanging hands then what's the problem so long as you're not losing out financially as far as value is concerned :dunno:
JanelleMarie

Post by JanelleMarie »

I guess it would depend on the circumstances, maybe if you said you were trading, and it was a partial trade of a doll plus money?
Otherwise maybe he was particularly fond of that baby and couldn't bring himself to admit it!!!! lol
There are many times my hubby will ask 'why do you have to sell that one?'
And I'll say, why? do you like that one?
And I'll get a response like, 'well, you should sell this one instead'... lol
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

Hi Sal. My hubbie doesn't show much interest in my collection, and never questions me when he sees a doll shaped box leaving the house ( that doesn't happen much lately though as I am down to keepers with no room left)
In the early days of my collecting I had an Ashton Drake 'Jasmine Goes To Grandmas' in the living room on a little rocking chair. He often says to me "You shouldn't have sold Jasmine"
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
MikeTheEngineer

Post by MikeTheEngineer »

sal SA ButterflyBabies wrote::hi ya: many that know me would know i dont like disappointing any one, so tonight when my hubby said i was been deceitful as i did not tell him i was swaping a doll with a lady, was i wrong?
Deceitful? No. That requires intent. If you intentionally didn't tell him because you knew he'd be upset, that would be deceit.

Is he into your hobby? Was he fond of that particular doll? Did you trade a really nice one, for an ugly or cheap one? If he expressed an interest in sharing your hobby, or liked that specific doll, I'd have discussed it with him first. If he's never shown any interest, he doesn't really have any right to complain, unless you traded an expensive one for a cheap one, and he's upset about the money.

That's my opinion. Coming from a guy. ^_^
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Paul will usually keep quiet when I make any decisions about selling or buying a doll. I like to show him any dolls that get my interest if I'm thinking of making a purchase and he will gladly offer criticism. There is only one that he would really rebel if I decided to see him and that is Andy. He doesn't even want me to send his head to be repainted, saying his looks give him character. My daughter, on the other hand, is always ready to say something. She will never forgive my selling my Daylon Arcello. Until Levi came along, she said that was the best one I ever bought.

Paul will readily express that he likes some of them, and recently one of them was Levi. Of course, I'm sure the fact that Emily and I have a personal friendship enters into that. He has met her and really respects her talent. :heart: :hug: :heart:
HUGS, LAINEY
[image]11057[/image]
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

Well, the way I see it, if "swapping" allows you to get a new doll and it doesn't cost money, I don't see what his issue is. My husband is not the kind that I have to get permission every time I want to do something. I do realize that some husbands are not like that but they are your dolls and I believe you should be able to do what you wish with them. Unless, he is into collecting them as well. Then perhaps you could mention it,.
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

well my husband has some favorites of mine and he has voiced which ones he loves and not to sell. so if there was a particular one he loved and I wanted to sell or trade it, I would most likely let him know first before.. I have given him the option before to buy it from me if he was so in love with it.. LOL...... if that is the case maybe I can understand your hubs point of view.. for anything else I don't know..
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

I love all these posts about hubbies who care about your dolls and even have favorites. Mine is pretty indifferent to my hobby so doesn't get involved or emotionally attached to any of the dolls, but who knows - maybe he has some favorites he's not telling me about! How cute that your hubbies care -- love it :)
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
~Valerie~Anne~

Post by ~Valerie~Anne~ »

My husband wouldn't care a lick if I swapped a doll. In my opinion, if they are your dolls then you have a right to do with them what you want.
Emma Rose
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

I agree with Valerie. :toast:
My money = my dolls = my decisions.
Dolls for Sale: https://www.reborns.com/VinStyleandMore and Vintage baby clothes & shoes for sale: https://vinstyleandmore.etsy.com
Annette

Post by Annette »

~Valerie~Anne~ wrote:My husband wouldn't care a lick if I swapped a doll. In my opinion, if they are your dolls then you have a right to do with them what you want.
Mine either. :lol: The only time he's ever said anything about one, is my Amariah....he said she was the most beautiful and realistic doll he'd ever seen. And told me never to sell her. But he doesn't get a say in it, because they're my dolls. :lol:
Hugs Annette
tiffanybw

Post by tiffanybw »

~Valerie~Anne~ wrote:My husband wouldn't care a lick if I swapped a doll. In my opinion, if they are your dolls then you have a right to do with them what you want.
Mine wouldn't care either. Things are the same at my house as with Tracy. If it is a pricey purchase, no matter what the purchase is, I tell Eric about it and if he is making the purchase then he would tell me. We don't have to account to each other for every dime spent though.

I agree with the post that talks about "intent". Sal, if you knew that this is a thing that would upset your husband, and so purposely didn't tell him, then he has a reason to be upset. Same if this is a hobby that you both do together, that he cares about and is an active participant in. Otherwise, I don't see you as having done something wrong.

Maybe it's his time of the month? :dunno:

:mrgreen:

My sweet nephew Jeremiah, 1 month old now!
sal SA ButterflyBabies

:foryou: :grouphug: Thank you all so much
Made me feel a lot better reading what you all had to say,
It just really slipped my mind in saying when he asked me what i was doing i told him, i was not hiding it just did not think to say no one ever cared what i did will my dolls,
And he has never asked about them before or looked at them, only of a pic of a kit i wanted to buy and he was ok with that a swap i did not think would be a prob as it was no money loss, we now talked about now that he is chilled and he is fine but would like to know not that i really understand why when he dose not care to know about them onky if im swapping selling or buying odd man :dunno: :lol: i not yet got ny other dolls down here with me and i worrie about it as some times feel my things are not mine any more :roll:

Leesa

Post by Leesa »

What a fun subject! My hubby encouraged me initially when I got into doll collecting after the girls left home.

He is now not so amused... :roll: After I filled up one bedroom (Nursery) and then added a crib to the guest room - full of babies -

he thinks I may have gone a bit overboard! I agree and am trying to downsize and not buy......

He has his hobbies and I have mine - he is a good sport about it!!

Hugs
Leesa
Inspired_Rebecca

Post by Inspired_Rebecca »

My husband doesn't really say anything about the dolls, but he seems happier now that I only have two dolls in one bassinet. I prefer having just the bassinet too, as the crib just took up way too much space.
Rebecca
sal SA ButterflyBabies

Yes well did think it was worth asking
As i was confused sadly how ever im having to sell my spot for a baby i had on layaway so someone will be lucky to get a nice baby for cheaper :grouphug:

tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

My hubby wouldn't care if I sold all my dolls or if I swapped one or bought one.................He collects ball card and old bottles and I collect dolls and bears and rabbits and mice and hummels and just about anything that is cute.....you get it............Hugs, Kathy
Doll-Lee

Post by Doll-Lee »

My husband doesn't really care either way. He has his hobbies and I have mine. He doesn't even take much interest in the money side of things as he leaves all the banking etc up to me. If he wants to buy anything he asks if we have enough money in the bank and I say yes or no. It's just the way we've always been. We pool our money, (he earns a lot more than me) but no, when it comes to me buying, trading he's fine. He does say sometimes they're taking over the house, which is true so I thin out a bit at times. He does say sometimes though don't sell to buy unless you fall out of love with a doll as you'll regret selling it if you do so he can be a bit of a contradiction, lol. He really is supportive though. I always say I'm a lucky girl and he says the same about me so I guess we just work. We've grown into each other though. In the early years we had to set our boundaries if you know what I mean like any young married couple do.
Interesting subject this. I love the hubbies who take a real interest. My dad had one doll he loved of my mums and she actually took it to the charity shop. He was gutted. Mum felt awful after, lol. It was only an inexpensive Porcelain doll that sat in a chair in their bedroom but apparently he'd got quite attached to it, lol.
Love,
Lee
My beautiful Daisy xx

My eBay store.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DOLLee-Collect ... 7675.l2563