NEGATIVE COMMENTS

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Sally - USA

Re: NEGATIVE COMMENTS

Post by Sally - USA »

No, you aren't the only one to ever post a negative comment on a doll for sale!
I did it just the other day and got roundly chastised by the seller for it.
She was so incensed that she immediately blocked me after telling me off -
this was on Facebook, of course.

I only said that her Walter doll, done as a girl, looked like a doll in drag.

I thought it was funny. I guess that kind of humor is an acquired taste.

I probably should have, in hindsight, just scrolled on by. :roll:
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

I haven't been on DF in quite a while so I do not know you, Mike the Engineer.
Pleased to meet you!
I believe you're right about tact. (I forgot mine when I typed the message to the artist in the above mentioned comment.)
Would you be open to tactfully written "suggestions" given privately? I've done that in the past and so far it's been well
received or ...... just ignored. LOL I always say my advice is worth what you paid for it. :wink:
BetsyD

Post by BetsyD »

dollval wrote:I have been a member since 2003 and this is something I have so often thought about. This board used to be about all different kinds of dolls- ooaks, child dolls, vinyl dolls before reborns even existed so I am not thinking in terms of reborn artists or dolls that someone made but just dolls here in general. There is a very clear unspoken rule that only positive comments are allowed. No doll is perfect had we found the perfect one we might not still be buying. (I know we would still be buying lol). But with my doll friends we are always sending each other links- isn't this awful? If only I could afford this! What do you think- should I bid? To which I answer put on your glasses! Or the face is cute but the rooting is awful, eyes aren't good, etc. With the older dolls I'll say- awful, you're only interested cuz it's a bargain, or nice but do you really need it? Or I'll say- get it! Great doll, I love it! No one is condoning making hurtful comments. But it would be nice if this was a forum where honest opinions could be expressed in a way that is not hurtful but in a way that shows that everyone has their own opinion. Sometimes I want to say I love everything about her except her..... whatever it is. But I know I can't. It is false to only say positive things.

I also agree with this. I wish there was somewhere for people who wanted constructive criticism as well. But we would need to make sure are comments ARE constructive and not hurtful. Sometimes I see a doll and think "What the ____ were they thinking/drinking when they made that?" Wall eyes, bushes growing above the eyes, horrible paint or rooting, etc. And I really don't understand how they are NOT able to see what they've done. Some people don't care, some people really did their best. But I only think those things and never say anything (except to my husband lol). When I use to make reborns many, many years ago, I always welcomed constructive criticism because that helped me learn. I'm "thick-skinned" so to speak, and don't usually take things personally. I really did WANT to know! But some people are very sensitive and take even constructive criticism very hard. I would never say something to the artist, ever, unless asked specifically. And even then I will make a point of being honest, but in a nice way and offer suggestions. But again....only when asked. The problem with absolutely no criticism is that someone might not realize how "rough" their doll looks, and may never improve. And, I guess I figure it's not my place to "help" them if they're not asking (no matter how desperately I would love to have the opportunity lol).
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Dion wrote:I would never tell someone that what they made was ugly!! If you want to share how to improve a reborn when someone asks, there is no need to say anything negative. Just share what could be done to improve it. If someone doesn't ask for your opinion or ideas, I don't think that it's necessary to say anything. You only end up hurting someone's feelings.

There are even famous artists that, in my opinion, make very homely dolls. I would never tell them that. It's not my place, and obviously someone loves them and buys them! That's okay. We can be happy for a person's joy even if we aren't fond of the doll. We all have such different tastes when it comes to what is cute or beautiful. No need to point out that you think that it's ugly and/or poorly made at any time. That could be so rude and hurtful. I think that it's better to keep negative comments to yourself, and if you are going to say something, remember that kindness goes a long way.

:foryou: Hugs, Dion
Well said Dion! :wink:

I agree that we have all seen some pretty rough looking dolls here and there, but I was always taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

Dolls as well as Humans are not perfect.. As I have always said from the beginning of my Career "if you love what you created, someone else will love it too"
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1