Reborns for Therapy with Autism

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
anjsmiles Angie

Reborns for Therapy with Autism

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I wanted to share this story with you all because quite frankly I never thought about a reborn doll being beneficial to someone with Autism.

Almost 2 years ago our local ESP program (ESP=Extra Special People) was having a fund raiser where people were getting sposors to donate money if they would jump out of an airplane. My boss was one of those jumping that year. I wanted to do something to help so I made a reborn doll and donated it to ESP for them to use in an auction at some point. It was the Aubrey sculpt. Shortly thereafter the director got sick and was in the hospital and then out of work for a period of time. I was never able to get any information from anyone else at the center as to what happened to the doll in terms of the auction etc. One day when I called to inquire I was told by someone there that they might just keep it which I felt a bit odd about since that was not why I donated it.

Last week the director, who is a patient of ours at the chiropractor where I work, came in for an adjustment. We had not seen her in a long time. She is now doing well and is pregnant. I asked her about what ever happened to the doll. She said they had fully intended to auction it in their yearly auction fund raiser but during the 2 mos they had her prior to the auction they found the autistic children taking a great interest in it. There was one girl in particular who kept begging to hold her so they finally let her do so. Then others wanted to hold her. They started noticing that the doll had a very calming effect on the kids. When the time for the auction came they decided that the doll was worth more to them as a resource than something to auction off so they kept her. She said they gave her her own special spot in the room and she has 3 changes of clothing now, one of which is the onesie they send home with parents who have babies born with Down's Syndrome I think it was she said. She told how she has used the baby as a reward system and also to help calm the kids. She has also used it to teach them gentle touch in how to deal with younger siblings and babies. She said it has proven to be a great thing for their program.

Although this was not my orignal intention for the donation, I had hoped in the donation to help their cause and also get my name out in the community at a locial auction fundraiser. However, I am very happy to hear the doll is bringing comfort and therapy to those kids. It was something I really had not considered could be a benefit to autistic kids. I have placed many dolls with those with Alzheimer's and it really does make sense that it could be good for some with Autism as well.
Sewingroom57

Re: Reborns for Therapy with Autism

Post by Sewingroom57 »

That is great news for your donation a gift that keeps giving pleasure and help to children well done.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

That’s an awesome testimony about the benefits of reborn dolls. Thanks for sharing your talent and your story.❤️
SweetSunriseBabies

Post by SweetSunriseBabies »

Aw Angie, what a heartwarming story. I'm so glad your doll is well loved! She made it into the perfect loving arms<3
~Tiffany~
Instagram: Sweet_Sunrise_Nursery
FB:Tiffany Campbell or Sweet Sunrise Nursery
robinsmithsc

Post by robinsmithsc »

Angie, I'd like to make some donations if you would send me a link .
I have a son with severe developmental disability/Autism. We were foster parents for medically fragile babies & Sam was a 25 week 1lb 7 oz preemie.We were the oldest parents in the NICU :lol: Even when we were finally able to take him home at 11 months old,he wasn't expected to live.He is almost 16 years old now(we adopted him ,of course!) & is such a joy !!
Make no mistake ,the dolls are for me,but they do provide
opportunities for interaction with Sam. I actually sent Erin a video clip after I adoped her Gus Kewy. I'd post it if I knew how lol.
We have adopted other special needs kids,as well, but Sam is by far the most complicated.
So many people believe these kids have little value to society but the truth is, they teach us so much
& give us the opportunity to grow in faith. It's humbling.

Thank you , Angie , for sharing your story & for giving . :hug:
LanaDollfana

Post by LanaDollfana »

What an awe-inspiring story. I have donated to our local nursing home. Will remember this when looking for a worthy cause to help.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

robinsmithsc wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 am Angie, I'd like to make some donations if you would send me a link .
I have a son with severe developmental disability/Autism. We were foster parents for medically fragile babies & Sam was a 25 week 1lb 7 oz preemie.We were the oldest parents in the NICU :lol: Even when we were finally able to take him home at 11 months old,he wasn't expected to live.He is almost 16 years old now(we adopted him ,of course!) & is such a joy !!
Make no mistake ,the dolls are for me,but they do provide
opportunities for interaction with Sam. I actually sent Erin a video clip after I adoped her Gus Kewy. I'd post it if I knew how lol.
We have adopted other special needs kids,as well, but Sam is by far the most complicated.
So many people believe these kids have little value to society but the truth is, they teach us so much
& give us the opportunity to grow in faith. It's humbling.

Thank you , Angie , for sharing your story & for giving . :hug:
Here is the website for our local ESP. http://extraspecialpeople.com/
You might want to check in your area first to see if you have anything there like this so you can donate locally. If you wanted to help ours though, I am sure they would be very blessed.
robinsmithsc

Post by robinsmithsc »

I've thought about donating to memory care units & nursing homes . I have too many babies .I may ask 4 Paws for Ability if they would have a use for some.We got Sam's service dog from them. I like the idea of sending some to a place that has already used some & will know the best way to use them.
I'm so glad you found out what they did with your donation! It's inspired me : )
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I worked with adults with developmental disabilities with 25 years & saw how much the clients loved dolls & holding them. I would take one to work from time to time, at that time it was more LM dolls, but the results were the same as you described. They loved holding & cuddling the babies the same as we do! The love of holding babies is universal!!!
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

how lovely that your doll was helping children even though it was not your original intent, a lot of good has come from it.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

This is such a beautiful story. How amazing that these dolls can have such a profound impact. Thank you so much for sharing! :heart:
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
Mikki

Post by Mikki »

My mother-in-law had Alzheimers and lived with us.
She loved a reborn I did....Secrist I think..It had red hair like She used.to..She loved it...
When She finally went to a Skilled Nursing place...lots of patients...
All of them wanted to hold the baby...
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

Thank you, Angie, for sharing your story- it is wonderful to know how helpful these sweet baby dolls can be for a variety of people. As collectors we understand the emotional impact they have, so sharing is a lovely opportunity. My involvement has also focused on memory care and nursing home, though my niece with special needs does adore the doll I made for her.
:D Jen xx