Acceptable weighting materials?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
LynnW

Acceptable weighting materials?

Post by LynnW »

I wanted to check in with you all... I had a friend in the dolly community send me a baby to help her re-weight it because the baby felt too heavy and when I opened the baby up, I found sand in the limbs. I also recently discovered from watching a YouTube video of a doll from a different artist and the collector also found what she thought was a material that looked like sand in the limbs... it's a bit disheartening. If someone could educate me on this -- I thought that glass beads or polypellets plus polyfill were considered the acceptable weighting materials. It was discouraging because this baby was advertised as having no sand.

Is sand considered an acceptable weighting material? After I dumped the sand out, the inside of the limbs were completely black. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

(EDITED TO SAY - this all has a good ending and the misunderstanding was cleared up)
Last edited by LynnW on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
TinyTimms_Doris

Re: Acceptable weighting materials?

Post by TinyTimms_Doris »

I have never used sand. How terrible that she advertised no sand when she really did use it.
avigrace96

Post by avigrace96 »

I agree with your list of acceptable weighting materials. That is all I would use. I once re-weighted a doll and also found sand in the limbs. I don't believe the inside turned black, though. Is it a residue? Maybe it will wipe off.
brandaholicbabies

Post by brandaholicbabies »

the glass beads I use is top of the top , very expensive, does not give the crunchy sound that the biggest glass beads grit gives....it does look like sand because it is super super fine but it is glass beads....I use it because you can squish the limbs without the horrible crunch sound....before saying something to a customer or friend you are helping, or post anything on a public forum. I would suggest to get your facts straight...you do not want to mislead buyers new to the dolly world....and ruin someone else business...thanks
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

Hello all. First let me say the person she is referring to me myself, Gina of Heavens Breath Nursery babies. Lynn let me ask you - how would you think this is sand? I am sorry if I appear defensive I had gotten emails and also messages through ebay I assume one from you? First let me be very clear. I do not in any way shape or form use sand products in my dolls. These types of posts can be damaging to artists like myself. I use fine glass beading. Here is the link of the product i use: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-gl ... 61875.html

Let me begin by saying I have been reborning for over 12 years. I love what i do. And I have always taken this art very seriously. With that being said I only use high grade material. To the untrained eye, these fine glass beads may appears to look like a sand material as they are very fine. I assure you they are not. I have tried many grades of glass beads both ultra fine and coarse. I found the coarse ones had a crunch so I prefer to use the finer beading. With that being said I will be honest. This is hurtful. I also am confused as to why the person who purchased the doll sent it to you and not back to me or even messaged me about a reweight. I would have been delighted to have done anything for her, she is a great lady and buyer. So this leaves me very confused.

I think someone has jumped the gun here. And not to have come to me first and allowed me to explain my product and what I use is not professional. My babies sell for a decent price and I really care for my customer. They mean the world to me and I do my best to make them happy. I don't cut corners and don't need to. There is no reason for it.
Annette

Post by Annette »

I use very fine glass beads in my doll's limbs. It does look like sand to some people as it's extremely fine. But I assure you, it IS glass. Sounds like that's what is in the limbs of your friend's doll. Many mistake it for sand.

When Gina says it's glass beads, you can be sure that it's exactly that.
She is an amazing and well known trusted artist, who is honest as the day is long.
Your friend is lucky to have one of her reborns. :)
Hugs Annette
LilliputdreamsofSusan

Post by LilliputdreamsofSusan »

GinaMomofthree wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 am Hello all. First let me say the person she is referring to me myself, Gina of Heavens Breath Nursery babies. Lynn let me ask you - how would you think this is sand? I am sorry if I appear defensive I had gotten emails and also messages through ebay I assume one from you? First let me be very clear. I do not in any way shape or form use sand products in my dolls. These types of posts can be damaging to artists like myself. I use fine glass beading. Here is the link of the product i use: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-gl ... 61875.html

Let me begin by saying I have been reborning for over 12 years. I love what i do. And I have always taken this art very seriously. With that being said I only use high grade material. To the untrained eye, these fine glass beads may appears to look like a sand material as they are very fine. I assure you they are not. I have tried many grades of glass beads both ultra fine and coarse. I found the coarse ones had a crunch so I prefer to use the finer beading. With that being said I will be honest. This is hurtful. I also am confused as to why the person who purchased the doll sent it to you and not back to me or even messaged me about a reweight. I would have been delighted to have done anything for her, she is a great lady and buyer. So this leaves me very confused.

I think someone has jumped the gun here. And not to have come to me first and allowed me to explain my product and what I use is not professional. My babies sell for a decent price and I really care for my customer. They mean the world to me and I do my best to make them happy. I don't cut corners and don't need to. There is no reason for it.

I have had 3 of Gina's reborns and they have all been weighted beautifully with no sand in sight!

Gina is one of the nicest most honest people in the doll world so :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Carry on making your beautiful creations Gina

Hugs
Susan
x
dianareed

Post by dianareed »

I am collector who has a few of Gina’s dolls. As some people, who know me, are aware, I’m VERY fussy about what dolls go into my collection. I have NEVER found sand in any of my dolls reborned by Gina. She is an amazing, talented artist. Her reborns will always remain in my collection, while I have sold those by other artists. That’s how good she is. She is also honest and trustworthy. And she stands behind her work. I can attest to that! Why didn’t this person contact Gina, and/or send that baby back to Gina, if she wanted it to be re-weighted? That’s the only logical thing to do. So, I question the motives of this person. JMHO
BeachBabiesKim

Post by BeachBabiesKim »

Hi Lynn. I saw the pic of the "sand" and those are glass beads hun. I think you and your customer owe Gina an apology.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

Hi Gina, I didn’t mention who the artist was and I never messaged you or anyone on EBay for the record. I came on here to try to better understand. The inside of the limbs of this doll had turned black and there were a couple black smudges on the fingers. Attached is a photo of the material I found. I don’t have a photo of the black but I do have it on video. I didn’t know that glass beads could be that fine. Why would the limbs have turned dark on the inside? Again, not trying to attack anyone here but I am trying to understand.

I think the lady who purchased her likely didn’t want to offend you. It can be very hard to speak up as collectors as we don’t want to offend the artist. She likes the baby a lot and she’s beautifully painted. She had contacted me to help because she felt the baby was too heavy. She probably just felt more comfortable asking a dolly friend to help her versus conveying any kind of unhappiness to the artist although I know that most artists would’ve been happy to fix the issue. I also don’t know where you are based but maybe the shipping cost would have been higher?

The baby is beautifully painted and the lady is a very nice person. Please don’t blame either of us here. I posted my post to ask a general question and did not name names.

If these were glass beads then i apologize but I don’t know why there would be discoloration in the limbs...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LynnW on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

For contrast, attached is a photo of the glass beads I get from bountiful baby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

I use a painting method on the interior. A very light coat of genesis it is not black. When you shame an artist named or not it is wrong without allowing them a moment to respond. I was told a youtube video would be posted by you in regards to sand in my doll. I ask you how long you have been reborning? And what filler you use and where you get it? Please understand this is very unfair. I came forward as it was my understanding I would be introduced to the wall of shame? I am sure you understand how unfair and unprofessional this is. Also as an artist I am sure you understand if you created a product and sold it you would want the buyer to come to you first and not someone else. I apologize if I am coming off strongly here dollfan ladies. I am just sort of hurt over this. Lynn - you brought up the topic so I am responding to it.
Last edited by GinaMomofthree on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

Yes this is the higher grit bead. I find it to have a crunch effect in my limbs so I opt to use finer 80 grit beading. Glass is glass. There is finer grit and higher grit.
LynnW wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am For contrast, attached is a photo of the glass beads I get from bountiful baby.
BeachBabiesKim

Post by BeachBabiesKim »

Your customer threatened to blackmail her though, Lynn. That would upset anyone.
Shell58

Post by Shell58 »

A nice person who didn't "want to hurt the artist's feelings",wouldn't ask for $150 and in return not "expose" the artist.
Last edited by Shell58 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShannonZaNightOwl

Post by ShannonZaNightOwl »

LynnW wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:39 am Hi Gina, I didn’t mention who the artist was and I never messaged you or anyone on EBay for the record. I came on here to try to better understand. The inside of the limbs of this doll had turned black and there were a couple black smudges on the fingers. Attached is a photo of the material I found. I don’t have a photo of the black but I do have it on video. I didn’t know that glass beads could be that fine. Why would the limbs have turned dark on the inside? Again, not trying to attack anyone here but I am trying to understand.

I think the lady who purchased her likely didn’t want to offend you. It can be very hard to speak up as collectors as we don’t want to offend the artist. She likes the baby a lot and she’s beautifully painted. She had contacted me to help because she felt the baby was too heavy. She probably just felt more comfortable asking a dolly friend to help her versus conveying any kind of unhappiness to the artist although I know that most artists would’ve been happy to fix the issue. I also don’t know where you are based but maybe the shipping cost would have been higher?

The baby is beautifully painted and the lady is a very nice person. Please don’t blame either of us here. I posted my post to ask a general question and did not name names.

If these were glass beads then i apologize but I don’t know why there would be discoloration in the limbs...?
These are definitely glass beads. I know of another reputable artist whose glass beads are multicolored. I don't know why they look different but what I use looks exactly the same as the material in the bags in this picture. It could be the size of the grain of the glass bead. She cannot be that nice, she threatened to out her publicly if she didn't refund part of her money! That is blackmail, and blackmail is illegal.
Last edited by ShannonZaNightOwl on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shannon Hardin
Night Owl Nursery
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

GinaMomofthree wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 am Hello all. First let me say the person she is referring to me myself, Gina of Heavens Breath Nursery babies. Lynn let me ask you - how would you think this is sand? I am sorry if I appear defensive I had gotten emails and also messages through ebay I assume one from you? First let me be very clear. I do not in any way shape or form use sand products in my dolls. These types of posts can be damaging to artists like myself. I use fine glass beading. Here is the link of the product i use: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-gl ... 61875.html

I can only dream of having one of your dolls. WHY didn't she contact you if she wanted the doll to be re-weighted? I agree, posts like this is so darned hurtful and I truly don't understand the reasoning behind it. What not contact the artist through a PM instead of putting it out for speculation? I'm pretty sure she knew you were the one that brought it to life. I'm just glad I don't reborn for others. Even sewing for others makes me nervous. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
brandaholicbabies

Post by brandaholicbabies »

the customer does not want to offend the artist ....really? but she felt comfortable black mail her after you told her you found sand and dark vinyl inside?

you posted a video? really ?

you should apologize....yes that is the cheap BB glass beads that every newbie starts with.... as artist we strive to better ourselves,
The crunch sound was something that collectors seam to dislike.

How long have you reborning for?

A refund of $150 ...did u ask her that to take the doll apart? so she asked Gina.

It takes 30 minutes or so to reweight a doll and in this case taking out material, so not even investing in extra glass beads.

The weight is stated for every doll we sell. why are you asking about high shipping cost?

I do not think you made yourself look good in all this.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

GinaMomofthree wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 am I use a painting method on the interior. A very light coat of genesis it is not black. When you shame an artist named or not it is wrong without allowing them a moment to respond. I was told a youtube video would be posted. I ask you how long you have been reborning? And what filler you use and where you get it? Please understand this is very unfair. I came forward as it was my understanding I would be introduced to the wall of shame? I am sure you understand how unfair and unprofessional this is. Also as an artist I am sure you understand if you created a product and sold it you would want the buyer to come to you first and not someone else. I apologize if I am coming off strongly here dollfan ladies. I am just sort of hurt over this. Lynn - you brought up the topic so I am responding to it.
Hi Gina, I have not posted any videos on YouTube and now knowing more info about these materials, I won't post these videos, so don't worry about that. They were scheduled to be posted next week as I do all my filming in advance and schedule my videos out in advance.

And with regards to your baby, I realize my first post was not clear. I have another potential issue (separate from your doll) with possibly one of the dolls in my own personal collection from a different artist... I modified my original post to make it clear. Since the issue came up a second time (again, with a DIFFERENT artist), I decided to post a general question about products inside a baby just for my own education and understanding. I never meant for this to go into a public discussion with you and I never would name any names.

As to the blackmail allegation by the customer, I don't know anything about that and that's between you and her. I thought it was sand and communicated my perceptions to her, but again, if my perceptions were wrong here, I sincerely apologize. I really didn't mean to cause trouble or harm to anyone and again, the baby was painted really beautifully.

I am new to reborning (it's been less than a year), and that was really the basis of my question. I just wanted to understand what materials were ok to use and which weren't. I buy glass beads and polyfill from Bountiful Baby and have also started using regular polyfill as well so I didn't know there were other materials out there that were ok to use and that was where I was coming from in my original post.

I had seen this article on Ebay posted about weighting materials and they seemed to say that certain kinds of sand were ok to use, but I had never heard that before and was honestly confused by this whole experience: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Weighting-mater ... 362/g.html

Again, I wish I had never gotten involved in all of this. I was really just trying to help and thought it would be a simple task of just taking some weight out of the baby for her.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

brandaholicbabies wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am the customer does not want to offend the artist ....really? but she felt comfortable black mail her after you told her you found sand and dark vinyl inside?

you posted a video? really ?

you should apologize....yes that is the cheap BB glass beads that every newbie starts with.... as artist we strive to better ourselves,
The crunch sound was something that collectors seam to dislike.

How long have you reborning for?

A refund of $150 ...did u ask her that to take the doll apart? so she asked Gina.

It takes 30 minutes or so to reweight a doll and in this case taking out material, so not even investing in extra glass beads.

The weight is stated for every doll we sell. why are you asking about high shipping cost?

I do not think you made yourself look good in all this.
She paid me $50 for my time and labor, plus $10 for weighting materials and it cost $50 to ship the baby back to her -- I always ship with insurance, priority mail with signature and tracking. She probably added an additional $50 that it cost her to send the baby to me. It did not take 30 minutes, it took me 2 hours of work, but I'm newer at this so I can't do this as quickly as some of you ladies probably.

I never posted the videos and stated in my last message that I wouldn't do so now that I understand better the materials used. Again, Gina, I apologize for the misunderstanding and I hope you can accept my apology.