Acceptable weighting materials?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
noniesgirl - Gina

Re: Acceptable weighting materials?

Post by noniesgirl - Gina »

Why do people jump to conclusions that those tiny glass beads are sand? Instead of better informing themselves, they immediately jump in thinking there is sand in a doll. Bountiful Baby isn't the only place to buy supplies and the glass beads come in various sizes from other places. Most artists know this. I have even seen glass beads almost as big as the poly pellets. I have about 3 different sizes of glass beads that I use in my dolls. I have also seen someone claim that a doll had seeds in it when it was just a different poly pellet. Yet, they blasted everywhere that the artist used seeds. I have some of the same poly pellets. They are white and kinds of flattish. I love them, I will be sad when my stockpile of them are gone.

A buyer going to the artist and telling them they wanted money back or they would expose them???? That is blackmail. As soon as that cable tie was cut, any guarantee from an artist is null and void. You can't alter something and expect a refund/return. The buyer should have taken her concerns to the artist and not someone else.

The black smudges more than likely came from the environment the doll was in after she left Gina's hands. If the buyer was wearing anything dark or the doll was wearing anything dark or came in contact with something dark, the vinyl will absorb the dark color. I like to use a Periwinkle color in some of my dolls. Contrary to other beliefs, if Genesis is used on the inside and is set properly, it isn't going to merge through the vinyl. The ones that were going through the vinyl and "bruising" the dolls was acrylic paint, not heat set paints. So Gina painting the inside is not wrong either.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

noniesgirl - Gina wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 am Why do people jump to conclusions that those tiny glass beads are sand? Instead of better informing themselves, they immediately jump in thinking there is sand in a doll. Bountiful Baby isn't the only place to buy supplies and the glass beads come in various sizes from other places. Most artists know this. I have even seen glass beads almost as big as the poly pellets. I have about 3 different sizes of glass beads that I use in my dolls. I have also seen someone claim that a doll had seeds in it when it was just a different poly pellet. Yet, they blasted everywhere that the artist used seeds. I have some of the same poly pellets. They are white and kinds of flattish. I love them, I will be sad when my stockpile of them are gone.

A buyer going to the artist and telling them they wanted money back or they would expose them???? That is blackmail. As soon as that cable tie was cut, any guarantee from an artist is null and void. You can't alter something and expect a refund/return. The buyer should have taken her concerns to the artist and not someone else.

The black smudges more than likely came from the environment the doll was in after she left Gina's hands. If the buyer was wearing anything dark or the doll was wearing anything dark or came in contact with something dark, the vinyl will absorb the dark color. I like to use a Periwinkle color in some of my dolls. Contrary to other beliefs, if Genesis is used on the inside and is set properly, it isn't going to merge through the vinyl. The ones that were going through the vinyl and "bruising" the dolls was acrylic paint, not heat set paints. So Gina painting the inside is not wrong either.
I agree that the buyer should have gone to the artist directly to resolve any concerns. This is the last time I will get involved in trying to fix someone else's baby. I did so to try to help, not get in the middle of anything, and certainly not to attack another artist's work. That was not my intention at all and again, I apologize for that. I didn't mean to offend anyone. . It wasn't worth the $50 to me, to be honest. I am super busy -- I work full time and I'm a mom to two plus I have my own babies to paint and customers to work with plus my channel. I was just trying to help and part of my posting my original post was to try to understand and learn. That's all. I appreciate learning that there are different kinds of glass beads that are used -- that's great to know. It was just not something I had seen before.
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

Lynn,

She would have paid -0- dollars including free shipping if she had come to me first. :( That makes me so terribly sad for her. And passing on inaccurate information to my buyer is definitely not professional without learning more about the product yourself. I know my buyer is a good lady. New to the art. So she is relying on educated and knowldegable information. What you passed on to her was not that. And it sparked a domino effect. Do you see where I am coming from? I have seen photos of your work and I saw her box opening of the baby you did for her. He is adorable. I think you do fine work. Please just be cautious of things spoken publicly they are hurtful. Even if the words are erased from the page - the lingering affect it can have can be damaging and possibly damage possible prospect for the seller. I was thrown under the bus - it was not fair. :(
brandaholicbabies

Post by brandaholicbabies »

Gina has been very nice <3 omg I love you Gina.

I did check your work too, and saw that you sells babies from $200 up, so I do think that $50 is outrageous price to pay to a newbie artist, when the customer could have simply paid nothing and have it done more professionally from an experienced artist. $10 for material is also not right because you had to remove material, it was your mistake to consider that material wrong and you have replaced with other $10 worth material.
That doll is altered and not an original doll anymore, it lost some of its value because you did that. And if you did not re assembled it properly that doll has Gina name allover it.....you were very involved in contacting the buyer and tell her what was wrong with the doll but now you act like you do not know anything ....

I am sorry but again Gina has been very nice.....
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

Again, I apologize to everyone here, and if I could just erase this whole thread, I would. (Steve, if you can do so, I'd appreciate it) I was coming from a place of inquiry and trying to understand. I never named names or contacted anyone on Facebook or Ebay. It was Gina's choice to speak up on this thread, and that's great that she did so, but I never would have called her out and to accuse me of doing so is unfair. I have already apologized to Gina for the error both publicly as well as through PM and am not sure what else I can do. And in terms of what I charged, I genuinely thought the material was sand and I threw it out (I offered to send it back to the buyer but she didn't want it) and I had to replace it with my own materials. I absolutely agree that the buyer should have just resolved the matter with Gina privately in the first place. I really wish I had never gotten involved and again, apologize for any distress this may have caused. What can I do at this point to make things better for everyone? I have already contacted the buyer to correct my mistake. :dunno:
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

I think even if Steve were to remove the post it would not change things but he can do so if he feels fit. I did come forward on my own as it was stated the buyer really did not want to expose me but that you would be introducing a video. Nothing was stated about naming names but it always happens. There was a request of $150. I would have remained silent however I felt that was not an option. p.s. I do not wish to name my buyer at this time.

I accept your apology thank you.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I stand behind Gina 100%! Those are the highest quality glass beads....exactly what I would expect to see from such a top notch artist.
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

GinaMomofthree wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm I think even if Steve were to remove the post it would not change things but he can do so if he feels fit. I did come forward on my own as it was stated the buyer really did not want to expose me but that you would be introducing a video. Nothing was stated about naming names but it always happens. There was a request of $150. I would have remained silent however I felt that was not an option. p.s. I do not wish to name my buyer at this time.

I accept your apology thank you.
Thank you, Gina. I truly did not know of any of your conversations with the buyer and I wrote her to let her know of my mistake in the situation and the misunderstanding. She received the service she paid for (to have the baby re-weighted more to her preference) and we have resolved the misunderstanding. I understand now why you felt like you needed to say something.

I also just now saw a Facebook message from you -- my apologies I didn't see it until now as I don't check that frequently -- and really did not expect this to become such a big deal. And also, for the record, when I filmed my video, I did not know that you were the artist (the buyer mentioned it to me after the fact) but was just going through my process of dis-assembly when I found what I thought I had found. So, even if it had been posted, no one would have known who the artist was, just to be very clear. Again, I'm very sorry for bringing all this up and very sorry for even getting involved in what should have been a matter discussed between the buyer and artist.
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

Gina, you are such a sweetheart!
Betty_Sweet_thingz

Post by Betty_Sweet_thingz »

A similar thing happened to me. In Canada we have no choice but the small 80grit beads or you have to pay a fortune.

I'm glad this is worked out and I hope some new members were educated in glass bead weighting :)
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

Betty_Sweet_thingz wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:32 pm A similar thing happened to me. In Canada we have no choice but the small 80grit beads or you have to pay a fortune.

I'm glad this is worked out and I hope some new members were educated in glass bead weighting :)
This is great to know. Again, I had no idea and I'm sure many others weren't aware either.
Carolr

Post by Carolr »

Wow, I honestly think that Lynn came on to ask a valid question.
Not everyone can look at reborning things and know exactly what it is. She thought it was Sand, an honest assumption, she was wrong and she apologized and I felt she was truly trying to educate herself.

Doll fan is becoming such a hostile place......before it was such a pleasure coming on here.....now, not so much.
:idea: Hugs, Carol
NiSchi

Post by NiSchi »

I just wanted to say that I´m absolutely SURE that it was NEVER Lynn`s intention to hurt anyones feelings...as I know her as a wonderful, sweet and very caring lady...!! Who has apologized over and over again immediately here.

You really have to be VERY CAREFULLY what to ask, what to say and which babies you show here these days :dunno: :dunno: ...!!

Dolly HUGS - Nicole
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

Sorry everyone I hated to see this blow up like it has. Lynn has apologized and also agree'd she did not have full knowledge of glass beads. Now she knows. I came forward as I was feeling pressured. I felt my name would be drug through the dirt. I don't do well with feeling threatened. So I dove in first. I am ok with it now all is good and the planets align. :)
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

Thank you so much, Carol and Nicole, for understanding where I was coming from, and Gina, thank you for accepting my apology.
brandaholicbabies

Post by brandaholicbabies »

I am very happy everything is solved.
Gina asked us an opinion and help on Facebook and we all tried to help.

This is the millionth time that I read this kind of stuff, a person that become an artist in a day and start saying stuff about other artist.
As artist we try to intervene and protect each other.

It would have happened the same if it was a collector.

I just spent the whole day at the beginning of the week dealing with a reborner of 1 month, posting that all the artists that do auctions have bid shillers, she made a video....she posted screen shot accusing a famous artist till the post got removed because she did not know what she was talking about.

Another one was this morning, where when an artist asked a sincere opinion if to sell on FB or auction this was her answer:
Set price because the price goes to high with auctions and then most of the time the buyer changes their mind realizing they got way to carried away with the bidding. Or if they do go a head and buy they try to resale the baby because they just want all that money back. Not that there’s anything wrong with the baby but it puts the thought in people’s mind that the artist baby wasn’t as good as the picture and the buyer just couldn’t love it.

These are all opinions, that the new buyers read and made their mind out of it. Like a friend said , our businesses are online, so one wrong thing said could cause HUGE damage

I do not feel sorry if I intervened and seamed harsh to some.It is hard to sell nowadays as is. It could have happened to me or another artist and I would have appreciate same help.

I am glad like I said that Lynn understood and apologize,
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

There are all types of materials used for weighting. Most common are glass beads and poly pellets. The term “acceptable” can be subjective. It is always best for sellers to state what is used to potential buyers. Likewise, it is the responsibility of the buyer to ask before purchasing. Posts like these never end well. As stated, it is always the best policy to privately contact the artist to clarify any questions. Posting on public forums and social media prior to discussing it with the artist seems to create an unnecessary name and shame atmosphere.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

So happy this has had a happy ending... Well done ladies... sorry feelings were hurt...but that happens from time to time...
I don't think Lynn's intention was to hurt you Gina...but, I do understand why your feelings were hurt..
Big hugs to both of you!!
lisa_moments_in_infinity

Post by lisa_moments_in_infinity »

Shannon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 pm There are all types of materials used for weighting. Most common are glass beads and poly pellets. The term “acceptable” can be subjective. It is always best for sellers to state what is used to potential buyers. Likewise, it is the responsibility of the buyer to ask before purchasing. Posts like these never end well. As stated, it is always the best policy to privately contact the artist to clarify any questions. Posting on public forums and social media prior to discussing it with the artist seems to create an unnecessary name and shame atmosphere.
I agree with Shannon. Things are best said privately when it is about a specific situation. If you want to ask general questions, I would hope someone, especially new artists, could come to this forum and ask those questions and we, as a community, would help guide them. Just know, when you ask questions... you are probably going to get varying answers as we all have what works best for us as individual artists :D

On that note, I am going to try to explain my experience in the doll world in hopes that someone can take something from it.... or offer me suggestions :hug:

Early tutorials showed the inside of limbs being painted so I can understand why that question was asked. Each artist has their own technique. As for sand, that too was used in earlier dolls, but it was my understanding that it presented a problem when shipping internationally and possibly for health reasons. I have never used it, but do use the glass beads, which, as stated, do look like sand depending on which size is purchased.

When situations do arise... as for posting videos, even pictures, some of the more well known artists' work are recognizable.... so though you may not state names, it still might come back to hurt the artist, thus the reason most of us like to have situations handled privately first. If you try the private route and still are not getting anywhere.... well, I would hope that's what this forum can be for.... discussing, growing, learning and doing it all with respect for each other. I know that is not always easy, but that is my hope..... :grouphug:
It's better to fail in originality, than succeed in imitation~Herman Melville
http://moments-in-infinity.webs.com
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I prefer steel shot :-)