Question: Describing a boo-boo baby

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Erinn45

Question: Describing a boo-boo baby

Post by Erinn45 »

Hi there!

I'm new here and newish to collecting reborns. I follow some of you on YouTube as TheErinnF. :hi ya:

A question: When I started collecting a few months ago, I bought one of my first reborns from a nursery on Facebook. I didn't know what I was doing back then (still learning now, of course, but I've learned a lot from many of you) and was a little bummed when I got the doll -- she was, um, very different from the very excellent photography used in her listing. (In the artist's defense, the doll was very budget-friendly, so I got what I paid for, I guess.)

I'd like to sell this baby now on eBay for about 1/6 of what I paid for her. A die-hard collector would see the same flaws as I did (flat paint, no veining, badly rooted hair, Sumo wrestler-stuffed body), but a young girl might love her as a starter reborn.

I contacted the artist and asked her what the kit/sculpt was (so I could name it in my listing). She said it was "just a generic kit from Bountiful Baby." My question: Is this a thing??? All the kits I see there have a sculptors' names with them, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Also, because I'm SAPPY, I'm trying to figure out a way to note the flaws and the reason why I'm selling her for about $30 without hurting the artist's feelings, just in case she sees my listing. (Yeah, its cheesy. Sorry.) Her nursery has a decent following on Facebook and I understand that art is subjective. My standards are just a little higher now. This particular doll really has a store-bought vibe. But surely one of those "Can I have a free reborn?" types might like her.

Or hell, maybe I'll just donate her to a women/kids shelter or an assisted living facility. :|

Thanks for reading this BOOK of a comment. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Adaberny

Re: Question: Describing a boo-boo baby

Post by Adaberny »

Oh no dont do that! I suggest you start her on a bid instead of a set buy it now price, and list all of her flaws along with pictures. You will have much more success that way. Every kit has its name and sculptor, if you'd like post a link to her pictures here, I can tell you which sculpt it is. Thats how most of us start in the doll community..7 years ago, I bought my very first reborn doll, she was only around $100...She had almost white blonde hair, and a very weird pale tone to her, but I loved her regardless. Now 7 years later, I'm a doll artist and love what I do :)
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

Yes please post her picture...
The thing I would do is say you are not fussing on her colouring, rooting etc. And don't even call them flaws.
Take good clear pictures including naked pics..so any one who is interested can see what they are buying.
Good luck!
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I agree that you should post her here. Maybe someone would like an inexpensive baby for their child for Christmas.
Hugs,
Nadia

lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

There is no generic sculpts per se. If you would like to send me a message with a photo I am sure I can help you name the sculpt. I have done a ton of Bb babies. I agree with the ladies. start her off at a low auction and let people dictate as to what they are willing to pay. As for noting her flaws be honest. Not trying to be mean to the artist but you need to cover yourself.