what looks the most real?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Miller

what looks the most real?

Post by Miller »

Silicone or reborn? Or does it depend purely on the painting?

Nowadays an amazing reborn can be £2,000+ by top artists and it's not much more for a lower end silicone. So I'm just wondering based on that how do people these days make their decisions as collectors?
jennyjoanx

Re: what looks the most real?

Post by jennyjoanx »

I think it really depends on preference and what kind of artist you go to- I recommend trying Amazon, Ebay, Etsy and other reborn forums to research and to compile a list of artists that catch your interest. Really, I've seen silicone babies that don't look as good as reborns, and vice versa. Also, there's the matter of if you'd prefer a full body, or a cloth body, or a plate for the chest. Silicone tends to be a lot more expensive. I would also take into consideration whether you're going to be treating the baby as a collectors item or not.

I hope you find what you're looking for!
Have a lovely day! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Miller

Post by Miller »

Thank you for your reply. I like to cuddle my babies. I think this would be a good thread to get everyone's perspective xx
Kim

Post by Kim »

I think both reborns and silicones are cuddly if weighted correctly. I have never had a full size full body silicone but from the micro preemie I had, I prefer cloth body babies.
judyinontario

Post by judyinontario »

ive had both i went with silicones for a few years and i just sold my last silicone to go back to reborns i had full body silicones and find cloth body reborns sooo cuddly and there are lots of reborns out there that have been beautifully done and look very realistic
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I love both silicones and reborns. Both can be made to look incredibly realistic. I am in awe of some of the reborns artist's creations, some of them look so real it amazes me. I miss seeing them here and the artist's that create them. I never got tired of seeing them, but now we rarely see reborns. :(
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

Top quality artists will make a doll for 550-650 GBP.
I prefer the reborns. The sleeping ones are most realistic, but I love my awake babies too!
judyismyname

Post by judyismyname »

Silicone babies are truly amazing. I have many full body babies and just adore them. Depending on the silicone they can be very cuddly, however depending on the size they can be heavy.

I have a pretty large reborn collection also and would never give them up. They are so nice to pose and cuddle without worry of damaging them, and dressing them is so much easier than silicone changes.
There are many great artists out there that do an outstanding job bringing all mediums to life. It’s not always the price. You can get a high price baby and be dissatisfied as well as paying a much less and being completely happy.

Depending on the artist, I have some silicones as well as reborns that look very realistic.
They have fooled the public :lol:
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

judyismyname wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 pm Silicone babies are truly amazing. I have many full body babies and just adore them. Depending on the silicone they can be very cuddly, however depending on the size they can be heavy.

I have a pretty large reborn collection also and would never give them up. They are so nice to pose and cuddle without worry of damaging them, and dressing them is so much easier than silicone changes.
There are many great artists out there that do an outstanding job bringing all mediums to life. It’s not always the price. You can get a high price baby and be dissatisfied as well as paying a much less and being completely happy.

Depending on the artist, I have some silicones as well as reborns that look very realistic.
They have fooled the public :lol:
I agree with everything Judy said. :toast:
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I love all medium for dolls.........I have mostly OOAK and silicone and love all of them, I use to sell a baby to help get one but now I have all keepers...............it is hard to part with any of them.............I too am amazed at all the gorgeous reborns made..............we have such talented artists here and love seeing these babies come alive.............I think it is just what you prefer..........as far as realistism I have seen all mediums looking totally realistic and just gorgeous.....................Hugs, Kathy