Beware Time Waster

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
ShannonZaNightOwl

Beware Time Waster

Post by ShannonZaNightOwl »

This lady bid on one of my dolls. After she bid she messaged me to ask if the doll had a magnet for a pacifier. I responded that no, this one did not. After the auction ended she messaged me to say she didn’t want the doll because it didn’t have a pacifier. I messaged her back and said that i could put one in for her but ot would take a bit longer before ship. She was thrilled, but she then said she wouldn’t get paid until Thursday. This was on Monday. I agreed to wait for the payment because I really needed the money, but i had a sinking feeling in my gut and decided not to do the extra work until she paid. Well, she never paid and will not answer my messages. This lady wad 100% good feedback. Here is her eBay name caligurl.lj_7.

Shannon Hardin
Night Owl Nursery
Shannon

Re: Beware Time Waster

Post by Shannon »

Why do buyers think it is OK to buy something(enter a contract) and then ask questions? :bash: I sure hope that in the "real world" they don't buy a car, appliance, furniture, etc., without first making sure it had everything they wanted/needed. :?
I would definitely turn them in as a nonpayer to eBay or try to leave some telling feedback on their account to help warn other sellers.
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

I have bought furniture, and other high end items and taken them back. Most real businesses understand. I think the law is 3 business days to change your mind, and Ebay allows an hour to cancel your bid. I recently bought a doll that didn't have a magnet, and I forgot to ask because there are so many things you forget when you are bidding on Ebay. I ended up loving the doll anyway and I know I can put one in if I have to. For me Ebay is stressful and I hate bidding. Sometimes there are 2 dolls I like ending near the same time, and things can get nerve-racking at the end of bidding. Now what I don't understand is why she bought without having the money in the first place. That is plain dumb!
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

KLynn17 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 am I have bought furniture, and other high end items and taken them back. Most real businesses understand. I think the law is 3 business days to change your mind, and Ebay allows an hour to cancel your bid. I recently bought a doll that didn't have a magnet, and I forgot to ask because there are so many things you forget when you are bidding on Ebay. I ended up loving the doll anyway and I know I can put one in if I have to. For me Ebay is stressful and I hate bidding. Sometimes there are 2 dolls I like ending near the same time, and things can get nerve-racking at the end of bidding. Now what I don't understand is why she bought without having the money in the first place. That is plain dumb!
You can cancel a bid in EBay?
Where does it say this ? I have never hear of that ...
Is there a link?
canceling a bid is preferable to asking questions after an auction has ended and then trying to get out of paying I suppose
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

You have exactly 1 hour to cancel a bid on Ebay per their guidelines. The seller doesn't have to approve it but I'm sure that could open a case against them and cause more harm than good. I try to accommodate my customers. If they truly don't want it I won't ship the item and will refund.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel ... ocess.html
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

KLynn17 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:32 am You have exactly 1 hour to cancel a bid on Ebay per their guidelines. The seller doesn't have to approve it but I'm sure that could open a case against them and cause more harm than good. I try to accommodate my customers. If they truly don't want it I won't ship the item and will refund.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel ... ocess.html
Just because it’s available doesn’t mean it should be utilized. That item could have been sold to someone that truly wanted it and was sure about the purchase and all the conditions.
Do you reborn and sell on eBay?
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

No I don't reborn but I have other business ventures. Its the same with any other business in the world so why should reborn world be different. Usually companies allow 3 full business days to take items back. It happens. The only difference is this business people get too emotional. Its still a business. Stuff happens.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

If by emotional you mean that an artist has worked numerous hours and is excited about finally getting paid for their work just to have it yanked back out from under them? It may be part of the peril of being self-employed, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t any less crappy to do it to someone.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Shannon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 am If by emotional you mean that an artist has worked numerous hours and is excited about finally getting paid for their work just to have it yanked back out from under them? It may be part of the peril of being self-employed, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t any less crappy to do it to someone.
Seems like most people are only looking out for number 1
I would refund if I got the doll back exactly in the same way it was sent out because aside from the aggravation- it can be resold
But I agree with it’s a crappy thing to go through - especially if at the end of an auction the winning bidder wants to jerk u around. No validation in that what so ever
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

It’s definitely key to be informed before buying(auctions usually last for days) and stay away from impulse buying and bidding. If bidding is stressful, then BINs may be the better option.
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I have now listed all my auctions as buy it now and pay immediately. This eliminates the headache. If they click buy it now, it has to be paid for now and if not the item is still for sale.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Shannon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am It’s definitely key to be informed before buying(auctions usually last for days) and stay away from impulse buying and bidding. If bidding is stressful, then BINs may be the better option.
I agree. You have days to ask questions before bidding
I personally only shop on BIN auctions. I hate waiting :P
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Susan Cornelius wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am I have now listed all my auctions as buy it now and pay immediately. This eliminates the headache. If they click buy it now, it has to be paid for now and if not the item is still for sale.

Mine too, Susan. I had to eliminate the best offer option because of nonpayers since they aren’t required to pay immediately.
BTW.....your siggy is so ADORABLE!
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

Thanks for the heads up Shannon!
Time wasters are so annoying!
Dolls for Sale: https://www.reborns.com/VinStyleandMore and Vintage baby clothes & shoes for sale: https://vinstyleandmore.etsy.com
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

Shannon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 am
Susan Cornelius wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am I have now listed all my auctions as buy it now and pay immediately. This eliminates the headache. If they click buy it now, it has to be paid for now and if not the item is still for sale.

Mine too, Susan. I had to eliminate the best offer option because of nonpayers since they aren’t required to pay immediately.
BTW.....your siggy is so ADORABLE!
Thank you!! She makes me smile!
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

odd that - I was told by ebay that I could not cancel a sale as there was less than 10 hours to go, and could not find anything about an hour in the link supplied
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

Respond to a cancellation request from a buyer

A buyer can request to cancel a transaction within 1 hour of purchasing the item, even if they've already paid for the item.

When a buyer asks to cancel a transaction, you have 3 days to approve or decline the request.

If you approve the cancellation request and the buyer has already paid for the item, you have 10 days to refund the buyer.

If your buyer cancels a purchase, they can't leave you negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings about the transaction.

hookedoncrochet wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 am odd that - I was told by ebay that I could not cancel a sale as there was less than 10 hours to go, and could not find anything about an hour in the link supplied
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

That's what I do as well. I have definitely noticed a HUGE difference in selling hassles by doing it this way. Some people will impulse bid/buy and then go 'Oh I'll wait until the bank opens tomorrow to see for sure if I can pay by then' and then the buyer's remorse will set in. I've had buyer's remorse myself from this same type of situation but, because I know what it's like on the other end, I went ahead and paid and just resold the doll or item. But not knowing what it's like on the other end, I can see why it happens all of the time.
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

KLynn17 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 am No I don't reborn but I have other business ventures. Its the same with any other business in the world so why should reborn world be different. Usually companies allow 3 full business days to take items back. It happens. The only difference is this business people get too emotional. Its still a business. Stuff happens.
To be perfectly honest with you, selling other normal items vs. selling art is really a big difference. People in this business DO get emotional but that's because they have put their heart and soul into something and ship it out and then if someone wants to send it back, it honestly taints the doll and the situation because you have no idea what has happened to the work of art while it was with this buyer. Were they a smoker? Did they get a mark on it?
And the other side to this is the fact that this is a very expensive hobby/profession. For me, I can only ever continue making dolls as long as I can sell them. It's extremely disheartening to put your heart and soul into something, get paid, ship it out and get excited to be able to start a new doll project, only to have it put on hold because the buyer had remorse about their purchase. It's also a huge knock on your self esteem as an artist. When someone wants to buy my work, it makes me so happy that they've chosen my doll over thousands of others. So when they want to ship it back, that really does knock you down quite a few spaces.
I can also guarantee that painters, sculptors, etc. do not give refunds...
I think it's easy to forget that these are not just nice looking factory made dolls. They are first and foremost works of art.
I am not trying to sound mean in any way or wag my finger. I'm just trying to share this point of view of getting 'emotional' in this 'business'.
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

We are artist however we don't "reborn" if that helps you. We put our heart and soul into our business as well. We are still a business and have customers.

Court_LLRN wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:48 pm
KLynn17 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 am No I don't reborn but I have other business ventures. Its the same with any other business in the world so why should reborn world be different. Usually companies allow 3 full business days to take items back. It happens. The only difference is this business people get too emotional. Its still a business. Stuff happens.
To be perfectly honest with you, selling other normal items vs. selling art is really a big difference. People in this business DO get emotional but that's because they have put their heart and soul into something and ship it out and then if someone wants to send it back, it honestly taints the doll and the situation because you have no idea what has happened to the work of art while it was with this buyer. Were they a smoker? Did they get a mark on it?
And the other side to this is the fact that this is a very expensive hobby/profession. For me, I can only ever continue making dolls as long as I can sell them. It's extremely disheartening to put your heart and soul into something, get paid, ship it out and get excited to be able to start a new doll project, only to have it put on hold because the buyer had remorse about their purchase. It's also a huge knock on your self esteem as an artist. When someone wants to buy my work, it makes me so happy that they've chosen my doll over thousands of others. So when they want to ship it back, that really does knock you down quite a few spaces.
I can also guarantee that painters, sculptors, etc. do not give refunds...
I think it's easy to forget that these are not just nice looking factory made dolls. They are first and foremost works of art.
I am not trying to sound mean in any way or wag my finger. I'm just trying to share this point of view of getting 'emotional' in this 'business'.