Paint on reborns

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
marilyn

Paint on reborns

Post by marilyn »

I don't know if this has happened to any of you, but quite frankly, I am pretty upset about it. Many of the reborns I purchased (and not cheap either) I find that the paint is fading! It almost looks like some of them were never painted! To my knowledge, GHPS was used on all of them. What could be causing this? Does anyone have the same problem?
~Valerie~Anne~

Re: Paint on reborns

Post by ~Valerie~Anne~ »

That's terrible. I only have 2 reborns so I don't know if that happens often but I'm sorry it's happened to you.
Emma Rose
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Oh dear, that is not good. I have reborns and make them for myself and have used GHSP and acrylics and none of them have faded. I don't have them in direct or harsh light and none of them are behind glass, the reason I mention this is because perhaps if yours have been in lighted cabinets the light might make them fade even though that is NOT supposed to happen. Also, just another thought I wonder about temperature fluxuations. All my dolls (with the exception of my Willow silicone who is in our bedroom) are in my doll/girly room which is always about 70 degrees Summer or Winter.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

Hi Georgeanne, all my dolls are kept in a room by themselves with no direct sunlight coming in and no harsh light of any kind. Temperature is kept pretty much the same, winter or summer so I have no idea why this happens. Would it depend, I wonder, on the number of coats of paint on them? I dunno....it is very dismaying.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Well, now I am mystified. I do think if the paint wasn't cured properly layer upon layer that will definitely affect the staying power of the paint. I have had GHSP that after being in the jar for a while, not that long though be hard as a rock so I think there are issues with GHSP or any paint for that matter and since we don't know how long something has sat somewhere on the manufacturer's shelf and then the reborn supplier's shelf how are we to know whether a paint or medium has lost it's efficacy.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

Thanks for your input Georgeanne and you have a good point.
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

I have a doll that sits in a high chair in the dining room, not in direct light and she had faded so much she looks like she has no paint on,
she was a very expensive doll and the reborner no longer in business either so no help there. I was told its just that she is well old now,
but I am not so sure thats the reason
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

Interesting - were the dolls painted by different artists?
I have had a doll's paint fade before but that's because she was always displayed in the sunniest room in my house and both her paint faded and her hair got brittle - I guess from the heat coming from the windows. But the other 3 dolls were displayed in a different room and have had no fading on them whatsoever (all dolls were painted by me around the same time).
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I have two that faded. There is no sun in my doll room. I understand they were painted with luminaire? Not sure what that is or how its spelled. One almost looks like she was never painted at all. We really like her so she stays!
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Court_LLRN wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:53 pm Interesting - were the dolls painted by different artists?
I have had a doll's paint fade before but that's because she was always displayed in the sunniest room in my house and both her paint faded and her hair got brittle - I guess from the heat coming from the windows. But the other 3 dolls were displayed in a different room and have had no fading on them whatsoever (all dolls were painted by me around the same time).
I was wondering the same thing. Where they done by different artist or the same one?
CatW

Post by CatW »

Depending on what was used to paint them, especially air dry paints, as Susan mentioned Luminaire paints will fade if not sealed. And those were pretty popular about 6-7 years ago, along with other air dry systems created by certain artists. AND the use of diluted Glass and Tile medium was promoted which I have since found out the company doesn't recommend it's use with vinyl dolls, let alone dilution. So if your Dolls were painted by artist who used those paints, you would not need any of the normal factors involved to have fading, it is the paints themselves that are doing it. I am sorry, very sorry you are going through this. :heart:
hugs xo, Cat
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

I have one that's done the same thing. It's quite disheartening. :( :( :(
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

That would be awful...........I have a few reborns and I know of one that their limbs did fade............Hugs, Kathy