Friends & Family

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
KLynn17

Friends & Family

Post by KLynn17 »

I have a question on this because I have always been told by everyone I know not to make transactions with dolls using F&F because its not safe yet I see it on here all the time. Am I missing something? Maybe you all know each other really well? It makes me super nervous when I see F&F and no matter how badly I want the dollie I won't buy with this. Have you all had good luck buying this way? Anyone have a bad experience? Just curious.
DollyBabeChris

Re: Friends & Family

Post by DollyBabeChris »

F&F is dangerous because there is no protection from PayPal. And from what I understand, it is also dangerous for the seller, as it may be possible for the buyer to do a “charge back.” And if shipping overseas, PayPal cannot help if the package is lost.

That being said, I have done a couple of transactions F&F here and have not had issues. Yes, we get to know each other on DF, and we rely on the feedback system. But I don’t blame you for insisting on Good & Services though. I think usually sellers are ok with it and may just adjust the price of the doll to reflect the fees.
Chris

LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

I will only pay f & f if I know the people who are asking really well... they have good feedback on here...and I have had several transactions with them... I don't ask people to pay f & f... it just doesn't sit well with me to ask... I would make sure I am okay with the price I am asking and know fees will be involved in the transaction. I would never pay F & F with someone I don't feel I know really well on Doll-Fan. Hope this helps!
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I would rather pay the fees especially on something expensive. I do pay friends and family on lesser priced items and with people on DF I know and trust, but again not on expensive items.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

When I list a doll for sale I always take into account the cost of paypal fees and include them in my asking price. I would never use F&F to buy a doll from someone I did not know as you have no protection. Since I have had many transactions on here, there are ladies that I do trust and would send money F & F especially if it were for items of clothing or small value purchases. I agree with Georgeanne, better to just pay the fees and not take a chance.
Hugs,
Nadia

Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

I give it as an option for the people who know me - I usually will say the sale is $___ plus shipping and PayPal fees or $ _(lower price)_ if paid as F&F.
But I would NEVER require someone pay me that way. It should never be that way. If someone is saying such and such is $____ paid as F&F, you can offer to pay the additional 3% in fees and pay as Goods & Services. If they won't do it that way, you know you're dealing with a scammer in my opinion...
The other reason why I think some people do it that way is that they themselves have been scammed via a buyer & PayPal... and I can understand that but that also wouldn't be fair for the buyer.
The only time I require it is if I'm doing a layaway - but that's because, for a layaway, ALL payments are non-refundable. I do a layaway as a convenience for the buyer, not myself - thus I am taking my sale away from other people who might be able to pay in full. I have been majorly scammed by people doing layaways from me in the past - so this is the strict policy I go with. But I let the buyers know ahead of time of this policy and it's their decision as to if they want to go ahead with the layaway or not.
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

When I buy I would much rather pay the fees to be honest that way it is protection for both buyer and seller. I wasn't sure how much the fees were Courtney so thank you for telling us what they are that way I know and can send the proper amount when I include fees. I usually just send extra and hope that is the right amount to cover fees. I do not mind paying the fees ever because for me 100% of the time when I buy I have always felt the seller is losing money on the sale so paying the fees so they don't lose more money is important to me personally.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

If you see something you want that is being offered for sale paid Friends and Family, you can always ask if you can pay the fees and buy it as Goods and Services.
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I will pay by friends & family only if I know the person here on Doll-Fan & have dealt with them before. Or as someone has stated I will only pay for small items like clothing, if I do not know them well or their feedback is low.
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Court_LLRN wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 am I give it as an option for the people who know me - I usually will say the sale is $___ plus shipping and PayPal fees or $ _(lower price)_ if paid as F&F.
But I would NEVER require someone pay me that way. It should never be that way. If someone is saying such and such is $____ paid as F&F, you can offer to pay the additional 3% in fees and pay as Goods & Services. If they won't do it that way, you know you're dealing with a scammer in my opinion...
The other reason why I think some people do it that way is that they themselves have been scammed via a buyer & PayPal... and I can understand that but that also wouldn't be fair for the buyer.
The only time I require it is if I'm doing a layaway - but that's because, for a layaway, ALL payments are non-refundable. I do a layaway as a convenience for the buyer, not myself - thus I am taking my sale away from other people who might be able to pay in full. I have been majorly scammed by people doing layaways from me in the past - so this is the strict policy I go with. But I let the buyers know ahead of time of this policy and it's their decision as to if they want to go ahead with the layaway or not.

I do the same thing now with layaway's. Since payments are non refundable I think paying F & F is the fairest way to do payments.
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

I think in general the rule of thumb would be to not use F&F for general buying and selling, but with the exception if you truly trust the person, like your good friends, and there are several ladies here that I would definitely have no worries sending payments as F&F but only because I know them and trust them thoroughly. :D

Other than that it is way too risky to use that way of sending payments! :wink:
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

Thank you everyone! I'm very new to the reborn world so I don't know that many people, and F&F makes me super nervous. I'm just sad because some will only except this in here every when asking about paying the fees. It makes it tough because they pull at your heart, but I know deep down to follow my instincts.
Last edited by KLynn17 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I only pay f&f if they a genuinely a friend or family.
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

I only pay f&f if I know the person well. I pay in full so I am covered under Paypal, but quite often send the fees separately under F&F. depends on a few factors.
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

KLynn17 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 pm Thank you everyone! I'm very new to the reborn world so I don't know that many people, and F&F makes me super nervous. I'm just sad because some will only except this in here every when asking about paying the fees. It makes it tough because they pull at your heart, but I know deep down to follow my instincts.

NO ONE should be requiring that you pay that way - it's actually completely against PayPal's policy. If that's all they will take, that is a big red flag to stay away.
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

I do if I know the person and have had good transaction, I won't if it's alot and I don't know the person.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

Sellers are putting themselves at huge risks requesting payment as friends and family. There's absolutely no seller protection and all the buyer has to do is go to their credit card company and claim the transaction wasn't approved and there's a chargeback. Sellers are leaving themselves vulnerable to scamming buyers through payment as friends.
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

Not to mention that it’s just WRONG. I understand that we all want to save money but where would we all be if PayPal quit doing business. When you pay F&F for Goods you are buying, you are actually stealing. If we are buying goods, then pay for Goods. If you’re sending someone cash money, F&F is good and proper. That’s what the PayPal rules say. I can’t believe they’ve never found some way to be able to track it better. I use this to go by, if the seller is shipping something to me, I should be paying for GOODS. I’m not meaning to step on anyone’s toes or make anyone mad but rules are rules. They’re there for a reason.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

erin1958 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:12 pm Not to mention that it’s just WRONG. I understand that we all want to save money but where would we all be if PayPal quit doing business. When you pay F&F for Goods you are buying, you are actually stealing. If we are buying goods, then pay for Goods. If you’re sending someone cash money, F&F is good and proper. That’s what the PayPal rules say. I can’t believe they’ve never found some way to be able to track it better. I use this to go by, if the seller is shipping something to me, I should be paying for GOODS. I’m not meaning to step on anyone’s toes or make anyone mad but rules are rules. They’re there for a reason.
I totally agree, Erin. I cringe when I see members here request money to be sent that way. I always wonder if they are OK with frauding PayPal then what else would they be willing to do?
I think it was a couple of years ago that Paypal posted a notice stating they flag accounts that use the FF service frequently and will suspend accounts if they feel it is being abused. I love the convenience and protection I get from them and don’t want to jeopardize my good standing with them.

You have no protection as a buyer when you send money this way. The seller can take your money and NEVER send the item and you have no recourse because you sent them money as a gift, not as payment for an item. I am so tired of reading about people that have been scammed because they sent money to a seller by F&F. The seller may be a scammer, but the buying also scammed the system by sending money that way. It’s only 3% of the sale plus a nominal fee.
MissyDoll

Post by MissyDoll »

I always pass by posts that ask for payments as F&F. It is so wrong. Losing that 3% is part and parcel of doing business and as far as I am concerned the seller has to eat those fees.