How do you feel about...

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
SweetSunriseBabies

How do you feel about...

Post by SweetSunriseBabies »

...a kit that comes with a full torso or a full front an back plate, but the artist doesn't paint it as part of the completed baby? Do you feel this devalues the doll?
~Tiffany~
Instagram: Sweet_Sunrise_Nursery
FB:Tiffany Campbell or Sweet Sunrise Nursery
Elle Rae

Re: How do you feel about...

Post by Elle Rae »

I think it should be painted along with the kit, the buyer can decide whether to use it or not. Unless, say it's a custom order, and the customer knows they don't like the full torso. Personally, I think they are nice for display and posing, but they are not cuddly by any means so it really depends on the collector and what they want the doll for. If it's just to look at, the torsos are great, if they're more of a snuggle mommy, not so much.

Eta:
That didn't really answer your question though did it. My final answer, yes, I feel the torso should be included/painted with the doll. If the buyer doesn't want it attatched, maybe send it with seperately just in case they decide to sell later on.
Last edited by Elle Rae on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avigrace96

Post by avigrace96 »

I personally love full vinyl kits and even belly plates. Nine times out of ten I lose immediate interest in a doll if it does not come with a torso/belly plate that was included in the kit. Some collectors feel differently but from my point of view I would always rather have the choice of not using a torso/belly plate (although I frequently do) than to be without it from the start and, in the case that I ever need to resell, the ones that are fully completed kits generally hold more value than those that are not based on my experiences.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

As an artist, I hate the full torsos. I would rather pass on the kit than spend the time painting parts that I may have to remove at the request of a buyer. Plus, on the ones I have done, the bodies are too big for the limbs. They tended to work great in adding the weighting material needed for the inside of the torso, but were way too bulking without it. That means if the buyer doesn't want the torso, then I have the added expense of getting another body that better fits the limbs and head appropriately. Not sure if it devalues the doll if left out, as the buyer knows exactly what they are getting and the price. If they are looking for a reborn with a torso/belly plate, etc., I'm sure they will find one.
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I don't think it devalues the doll at all. The value is in the art work. I prefer not to have the torsos and belly plates anyway - and usually discard them.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I don’t like torsos or belly plates, so it wouldn’t devalue it for me.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I really dislike the full vinyl torsos but I do like a simple belly plate for pictures. If I ordered a custom I would tell the artist exactly what I want in terms of painting.
Hugs,
Nadia

erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

In answer to your question, I think if an artist is painting a kit that has plate(s), it’s be nice to paint it along with the kit so it matches. So many people don’t use or like them, it’s hard to say on value. I guess as long as the buyer KNOWS what they’re getting, that’s what’s important. If I thought I was getting usable plates and they came unpainted, I’d be upset.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

The person sculpting and having the kits made and they include a full body or plates charges a lot more for them, then they are wasted as not a lot of people want them, as said above, no cuddle factor. BUT if you have the full body or plates I would expect them to be painted like the rest of the kit.
I would personally like to have just the head and limbs and pay less for the kit. The only thing I like full bodies is in silicone.
SweetSunriseBabies

Post by SweetSunriseBabies »

Thank you for all the input! I am am collector as well as an artist, so sometimes what is not important to me is important to other collectors. It is nice to hear different opinions about it : )
~Tiffany~
Instagram: Sweet_Sunrise_Nursery
FB:Tiffany Campbell or Sweet Sunrise Nursery
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Shannon wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 pm As an artist, I hate the full torsos. I would rather pass on the kit than spend the time painting parts that I may have to remove at the request of a buyer. Plus, on the ones I have done, the bodies are too big for the limbs. They tended to work great in adding the weighting material needed for the inside of the torso, but were way too bulking without it. That means if the buyer doesn't want the torso, then I have the added expense of getting another body that better fits the limbs and head appropriately. Not sure if it devalues the doll if left out, as the buyer knows exactly what they are getting and the price. If they are looking for a reborn with a torso/belly plate, etc., I'm sure they will find one.
Same here :toast:
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I would rather not have full body torso...............but if the doll had one I would want it to be painted the same as the rest of the baby..............Hugs, Kathy