Are you a picky doll collector?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
LadyFortuna

Are you a picky doll collector?

Post by LadyFortuna »

What would you consider borderline picky if we all have different tastes on dolls? How much is too many requirements on a doll?

Found this thread on a BJD forum https://denofangels.com/threads/are-you ... 746864/and thought it would be nice to have a similar in-depth discussion except for reborns/silicone doll collecting.

BJD collectors are lucky that they can easily just switch the heads out if they get tired of the look of their dolls! :shock:
Last edited by LadyFortuna on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"[Collecting dolls] is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
-Forrest Gump
KrisC

Re: Are you a picky doll collector?

Post by KrisC »

My only requirement is I have to be in love with my doll... otherwise anything goes.
I have elves, bears, monkeys, bald babies, booboo babies, babies that are non-jointed all on my shelves and I am completely smitten with them.
They dont stay if I dont have a place for them in my heart.
LadyFortuna

Post by LadyFortuna »

Thanks for your reply Kris. I've always wondered if artists would find it "picky" if a customer asks for two shades of hair colour on a doll or requests for more detailed creases that sort of thing. I don't know if I am alone in this but I have a harder time enjoying/handling babies with less imperfections so the pre-loved babies get more attention :shock:

"[Collecting dolls] is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
-Forrest Gump
KimbysBabyBugs32

Post by KimbysBabyBugs32 »

Hi there! I definitely have babies in my collection that are purely works of art. Meaning that, I display them only and do not hold or change them. However, like you, I prefer babies that are preloved because I don’t feel as cautious about “playing” with them. Since most of my babies are secondhand, I have learned to love little imperfections that they have! In my opinion it gives them a story and a bit of character. However, one thing that I am super picky about is what types of paints were used. I have found that air dry has a tendency to rub off easily, especially if there is no varnish on top. But like Kris, I own all types of babies and love them all no matter where they came from or what boo boos they have :)
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

I am very picky depending on the money I spend - I do feel like if I spent a pretty penny, it should be worth it. And that is why I have been disappointed a lot. My most expensive silicone I ever bought straight from the artist and had a matting issue within less than a month of receiving her. I found out she was still using the old confection sugar technique for matting - to me that is not okay for a $6,000+ doll.
I've learned the hard way that I just tend to enjoy the nicely made but cheaper dolls more- it makes me feel less guilty about spending the money and if issues arise, I don't feel as stressed about spending a little more money for fixing them up.
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
~Valerie~Anne~

Post by ~Valerie~Anne~ »

I have to look at them and feel something for them in my heart. It's not worth spending my money on a doll that doesn't make me happy. Then they're just taking up space. I feel like I am picky only because there are very few dolls that really grab my heart. Of course, these days some of the dolls that I love are just way too expensive. I have to accept the fact that just because I love it doesn't mean I can have it.
Emma Rose
LadyFortuna

Post by LadyFortuna »

I didn't know that about air dry paints - thanks for sharing that info. I've always been curious about whether that would replace GHSP in the future. I totally agree with every point you made Courtney. I would definitely weigh the quality materials used on a doll against the premium expected on a doll from a name artist. I hear one of the benefits of being keen on what you like and dislike is that your collection won't get too out of control.

-Forrest Gump
CatW

Post by CatW »

KimbysBabyBugs32 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm ..... However, one thing that I am super picky about is what types of paints were used. I have found that air dry has a tendency to rub off easily, especially if there is no varnish on top.....
Sadly this is true with some sellers who refuse to use proper paints and techniques required of Air Dry paints. Craft-cheap paints will not last on a doll. Subpar materials that are watered down to the point of almost nothing - course you will have fading or rubbing off, even using watered down varnish over top. Air Dry paints aren't bad, it's just the people who use them WRONGLY that give them the bad name. :D
hugs xo, Cat
Delbra

Post by Delbra »

I guess I am a picky collector. First of all I prefer to purchase my babies straight from the artist. I am not a child and I consider theses dolls as works of art. I always keep all of the original items with the dolls I purchase as I feel they help the doll's resale value. I have purchased dolls on the secondary market but only if the seller has the COA. I take my collecting very seriously. Anyone that has purchased a doll from my collection will be happy to tell potential buyers that my dolls are kept in immaculate condition.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dolly Hugs,
Delbra
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I’m VERY picky!
NiSchi

Post by NiSchi »

I´m VERY picky as well and do agree with everything Debra said :D ...

Dolly HUGS - Nicole
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

KimbysBabyBugs32 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm Hi there! I definitely have babies in my collection that are purely works of art. Meaning that, I display them only and do not hold or change them. However, like you, I prefer babies that are preloved because I don’t feel as cautious about “playing” with them. Since most of my babies are secondhand, I have learned to love little imperfections that they have! In my opinion it gives them a story and a bit of character. However, one thing that I am super picky about is what types of paints were used. I have found that air dry has a tendency to rub off easily, especially if there is no varnish on top. But like Kris, I own all types of babies and love them all no matter where they came from or what boo boos they have :)
I used air dry paints for a number of years before switching to GHSP. I still have all the dolls I painted with air dry paints and none of them have lost their paint or has their paint faded. I have now switched back to air-dry and again no paint has faded or worn off.
blui wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 am
KimbysBabyBugs32 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm ..... However, one thing that I am super picky about is what types of paints were used. I have found that air dry has a tendency to rub off easily, especially if there is no varnish on top.....
Sadly this is true with some sellers who refuse to use proper paints and techniques required of Air Dry paints. Craft-cheap paints will not last on a doll. Subpar materials that are watered down to the point of almost nothing - course you will have fading or rubbing off, even using watered down varnish over top. Air Dry paints aren't bad, it's just the people who use them WRONGLY that give them the bad name. :D
I agree with you blui, I have always used quality air dry paints and have NEVER had an issue with the paint rubbing off or fading and I still have the first doll I painted and all of the dolls I have painted and I started with air dry paints 12 years ago. But I did my research before buying any paints to make sure they were artist quality.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
KimbysBabyBugs32

Post by KimbysBabyBugs32 »

georgeanne wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:11 pm
KimbysBabyBugs32 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm Hi there! I definitely have babies in my collection that are purely works of art. Meaning that, I display them only and do not hold or change them. However, like you, I prefer babies that are preloved because I don’t feel as cautious about “playing” with them. Since most of my babies are secondhand, I have learned to love little imperfections that they have! In my opinion it gives them a story and a bit of character. However, one thing that I am super picky about is what types of paints were used. I have found that air dry has a tendency to rub off easily, especially if there is no varnish on top. But like Kris, I own all types of babies and love them all no matter where they came from or what boo boos they have :)
I used air dry paints for a number of years before switching to GHSP. I still have all the dolls I painted with air dry paints and none of them have lost their paint or has their paint faded. I have now switched back to air-dry and again no paint has faded or worn off.
blui wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 am
I agree with you blui, I have always used quality air dry paints and have NEVER had an issue with the paint rubbing off or fading and I still have the first doll I painted and all of the dolls I have painted and I started with air dry paints 12 years ago. But I did my research before buying any paints to make sure they were artist quality.
Hi there, I agree that it was probably the technique that the artist used. I’m sorry I hope I didn’t offend anyone
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

No, you didn't offend anyone at all, most especially not me so please don't worry about it. I just absolutely feel that what paints and mediums an artist uses will determine the longevity of the paint. I did lots of research before I ever started painting babies because I was really worried that if I didn't have the best mediums the paint wouldn't last. When I started I thought I would create babies to sell, but after all the hassles and horrors I have heard over the years, I decided I would just paint dolls for myself and give as gifts.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
CatW

Post by CatW »

KimbysBabyBugs32 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi there, I agree that it was probably the technique that the artist used. I’m sorry I hope I didn’t offend anyone
No upset here, either. KimbysBabyBugs :heart: You are definitely allowed to give your opinion. See sadly there are some artists who use cheap materials and you are probably seeing the results. I, like Georgeanne, researched and did try out many ways and brands of Air dry painting. I have found one that works for me and it's not a cheap system. I am learning to mix my own paints and mediums.

To answer the question Are you a picky doll collector? Yes, I most definitely am.
C
hugs xo, Cat
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

I am super picky!! :roll:

If the doll isn't made well or if I simply don't love the doll, it doesn't stay! Any doll theses days costs way too much money to not like.
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

I believe I am. But not the kind that drives an artist crazy. For me it’s all about the personality of the sculpt. I used to reborn and sell myself so, if I buy a baby and am not 100% in love, I can change what I need to change, within reason.
I have many babies in my collection that are not perfect. I love them anyway.
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies
LadyFortuna

Post by LadyFortuna »

HushabyeMargie wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 am I believe I am. But not the kind that drives an artist crazy. For me it’s all about the personality of the sculpt. I used to reborn and sell myself so, if I buy a baby and am not 100% in love, I can change what I need to change, within reason.
That's good point; there was one I really like but was painted hair so I hesitated then it got sold privately before the auction was over. :? Do you tell the artist you are an artist too so idk maybe they get their "game up"? lol I mean it must suck if the work ended up looking like something you could've done yourself.

-Forrest Gump
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

I am taken by what the doll looks like, face wise, this is my first look, I am not so bothered about the limbs, apart from would never buy a kit with bent up legs, just not for me. I am not fussy as to whether it rooted, painted or bald, I just have to like the faces.
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

LadyFortuna wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm
HushabyeMargie wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 am I believe I am. But not the kind that drives an artist crazy. For me it’s all about the personality of the sculpt. I used to reborn and sell myself so, if I buy a baby and am not 100% in love, I can change what I need to change, within reason.
That's good point; there was one I really like but was painted hair so I hesitated then it got sold privately before the auction was over. :? Do you tell the artist you are an artist too so idk maybe they get their "game up"? lol I mean it must suck if the work ended up looking like something you could've done yourself.
Good question! I’ve only bought a couple of custom babies and the artists knew, so now I wonder if that resulted in a little extra effort?
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies