Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
dollval

Re: Cheza issue- I spoke with ebay directly and here is the clarification

Post by dollval »

Yes, basically I won the doll fair and square with a high bid of 780 GBP/$1095 but did not get the doll because of someone else's mistake bid.
dollval

Re: Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed

Post by dollval »

TUnread post by Susan Cornelius » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am

You are only expected to pay the bid increment necessary after the last good honored bid. It doesn't matter what you are "willing to pay". The artist should honor that. Period. The retracted bidders bid should be taken out of the equation. I have bought and sold a ton on ebay - over 3,000 items. Not a newbie here.
You will find artist will jump in to defend other artists, but the facts remain.
Personally, I wouldn't buy from this artist again.

Thank you Susan, you have defined the problem exactly and concisely in very few words .
dollval

Post by dollval »

When I explained the above to Cheryl she replied- "I have no option but to re-list. I'm not trying to get more money than she is worth nor am I prepared to just give her away." Apparently my winning the doll fair and square at 780 GBP as there was no reserve was considered "just giving her away" and so the auction had to be nullified and she was re-listed. Isn't that against everything ebay stands for- if you are not happy with the final bid just re-list and hope for better luck the next time? everyone had a fair chance to bid for a full week right up till the end of the auction and that was the final price without the rogue bid.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I'm sorry you didn't get the doll and I'm glad ebay explained it. I think many of us were not sure how that redacted bid came into play. I sure hope you can find another reborn of this sculpt that you will fall in love with. I would probably be reluctant myself to bid on the relisted auction of the first doll.
Hugs,
Nadia

dollval

Post by dollval »

Thanks Nadia
dollval

Post by dollval »

That was the only ebay computer generated thing she could do....but as the ebay guy said there were many human things she could have done- it is all at the seller's discretion. To make me pay $800 more for someone else's mistake was clearly not the only option, just the best one for her.
LovinIt_Crystal

Post by LovinIt_Crystal »

I understand both sides...the only thing missing is that there could have been another bidder if that rogue bidder hadn't put the bid so high..so perhaps it would have ended higher than your first amount...just saying. No one will ever know.
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

Shill bidding happens a lot in these auctions where artists want big money. Not saying this happened in this auction but I get suspicious of it happening when the highest bidder pulls out.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I feel bad for you. Too bad the artist didn’t work out a deal with you before she resisted the doll. That would be fair in my opinion. If you happen to bid again I hope you win her.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I agree with you Val! Maybe you will get her one day.
Shell58

Re: Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed post completed

Post by Shell58 »

cookielover wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:43 pm I personally agree that if the top bid has been retracted even after the end of the auction that the auction should go back to where ever it was BEFORE that bid was originally made --- making that retracted bid a part of the auction is not reasonable. But I am not eBay or the seller. Ruth
I agree with Ruth.
Doesn’t seem fair that the bid that was retracted should be considered at all.Should be like it never existed.
I will not bid if I see a bidder with 0 FB.
They seem to play games with these EBay auctions & bid these dolls up for the serious buyers.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

dollval wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 am TUnread post by Susan Cornelius » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am

You are only expected to pay the bid increment necessary after the last good honored bid. It doesn't matter what you are "willing to pay". The artist should honor that. Period. The retracted bidders bid should be taken out of the equation. I have bought and sold a ton on ebay - over 3,000 items. Not a newbie here.
You will find artist will jump in to defend other artists, but the facts remain.

Thank you Susan, you have defined the problem exactly and concisely in very few words .
The statement highlighted is unfair,imo.The same could be said for buyers if you want to go that route
My opinion was not swayed a bit . I don't use ebay and haven't for years due to their own bias against sellers.
The one fact that does remain is that sellers are entitled to either offer the product to the second highest bidder OR relist and It really makes no difference what any of us think :?
I agree that the whole situation is awful that this game player caused for both parties involved
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

_Melinda wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 pm But this wasn't a retraction before the auction ended was it? Therefore, I think the only option was for her to click of "offer a second chance offer" for the higher amount.
this is my take on it as well.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

dollval wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am It's so nice that now you can speak with a real person so easily at Ebay. I called regarding the issue and basically we all have been correct. The ebay guy agreed with me that it would have been very foolish for me to pay my highest bid for the doll 1345 GBP/$1886 when without the rogue bid my winning bid over the other bidder below me would have only had to be 780 GBP /$1095. So I would have been paying $800 more because someone bid in error.
Now the seller has no choice but to offer the second chance at the bid that is there 1345 GBP because ebay software isn't sophisticated enough to know what has happened and adjust. But the seller is. All of this is at the seller's discretion and Cheryl should have realized I was paying $800 for someone's mistake and negotiated a fair price for me, especially as I am a long standing customer, a huge fan of her work, and the first person she thought of for the doll. And I would have been willing to pay an extra couple of hundred to get the second chance offer but $800 more? No.
As to the rogue bidder , as this is likely to be the only sale she reneges on there will be no consequences for her. So yes, anyone can bid, jack up a price, and then cancel as long as they only do it once, and it is not a pattern. So I'm glad the ebay person reassured me that I would have been foolish to pay my high bid. It's easy for you all to say bid again but it ruined my whole Easter, scheduling my day around the auction, waiting to see what Cheryl decided, having the doll offered at an unreasonable price then losing her again. My trust has been broken. As we know doll purchasing is an emotional thing and this put me through the wringer. and I am always the second chance person for her dolls. So that's the story then- straight from ebay's mouth lol. I still want the doll.....waaaah. lol I mean basically I won the auction fair and square with a bid of 780 GBP/$1095 but did not get the doll because of someone else's mistake and poor behavior. Someone who's mistake might have worked greatly in Cheryl's favor had I not been knowledgeable about bidding. So basically after I have been a loyal customer for years Cheryl was more than happy to have me pay $800 above the actual winning bid for someone's mistake and for her own profit.
I would never buy a second offer doll at this inflated price... $800. Is a huge price to pay for some one to bid and then cancel last minute..
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

Susan Cornelius wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am You are only expected to pay the bid increment necessary after the last good honored bid. It doesn't matter what you are "willing to pay". The artist should honor that. Period. The retracted bidders bid should be taken out of the equation. I have bought and sold a ton on ebay - over 3,000 items. Not a newbie here.
I never said I agreed with the Ebay procedure at all. I was merely explaining how the 2nd chance offer comes about being higher than what she would have paid if the retracted bidder had not thrown a monkey wrench into the whole auction. I wasn't "defending" anyone and reject that comment. In fact, I agree that the whole process is unfair but then when is Ebay ever fair. That is part of the reason I hate dealing with them any more. Also, as a buyer I would not have paid the higher price offered on 2nd chance either. But as a seller, I might have thought in the moment the fair thing to do is to start another auction since this one got all mucked up. The more I read about this now it sounds like the seller wanted to run the baby again to see if it would fetch a higher price 2nd time out. The whole thing sounds more and more fishy.....
dollval wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:24 pm That was the only ebay computer generated thing she could do....but as the ebay guy said there were many human things she could have done- it is all at the seller's discretion. To make me pay $800 more for someone else's mistake was clearly not the only option, just the best one for her.
Having read your further clarification, I understand exactly why you feel the way you do. I am sorry you have been disappointed. It does appear the seller just wants to sell the doll for more now.
dollval

Post by dollval »

Thank you Angie- I appreciate you taking the time to fully understand the situation and thank you for your empathy and understanding.
Miller

Post by Miller »

I feel the seller is being greedy. And is now rubbing their hands together on the new auction. Good luck to them. Greed isn't a nice trait and isnt a seller a would do business with.
Rebecca Katie

Post by Rebecca Katie »

chelle77 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm
_Melinda wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 pm But this wasn't a retraction before the auction ended was it? Therefore, I think the only option was for her to click of "offer a second chance offer" for the higher amount.
this is my take on it as well.
This is what I thought as well. It sounds like it was an issue with ebay's system, not the sellers. I've only sold a couple times on ebay, but I don't think the seller can enter a price for a second chance offer. It just goes to the next bidder's bid. I could be totally wrong though. The doll is beautiful, I hope the situation can all be worked out for the best!
Rebecca Katie

Post by Rebecca Katie »

chezababy1 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:49 pm Image

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but could the fact that Val raised her bid/bid again be why the price was higher than she expected? Like, does that new bid count the same as if someone else had bid? I hope this makes sense lol. Maybe that's why ebay's system messed up?