Is having a COA important to you when buying a top dollar doll?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
KimbysBabyBugs32

Is having a COA important to you when buying a top dollar doll?

Post by KimbysBabyBugs32 »

:hi ya: I was curious of everyone’s opinion about COA’s. When you are buying a rare sculpt or a doll that is in the high end price range, do you expect a COA? Not meaning to cause any drama but for me a COA is incredibly important if I am buying a baby that is say $1000 or is a rare sculpt. To me, it seems ridiculous to charge a high amount when there is no COA or paperwork of any kind. What do you think?
Rebecca Katie

Re: Is having a COA important to you when buying a top dollar doll?

Post by Rebecca Katie »

I do like my dolls to have the COA, but it isn't a deal breaker to me if they don't and I know the baby is a real kit and not a copy. As long as the person selling the doll is trustworthy and the doll isn't a knock-off, I don't think it's ridiculous to ask a high amount if that is what the doll is worth, even if it doesn't have a COA. That might just be me though, I know many want the COA for sure. I just think it can be hard to keep track of COA's if you have a ton of kits or buy kits second hand. I have an organized drawer full of them and yet still seem to have a few missing I know I had at one point :dunno:
Elle Rae

Post by Elle Rae »

I know to many a COA is important, and I understand that line of thought, but to me, it's just a peice of paper! If I like the doll, it really makes no difference to me at all. You'd think there would be an exception to that, and that is if it is a kit that is known to have been copied. However, nope, still worthless. I have a Jayden Scholl addiction, I've owned 7 over the years, and have 4 in my collection now, and it was really heartbreaking to learn that someone in Brazil was copying that kit. They were even copying the COA's! If you think about it, the COA is probably easier to copy than the kit.. Natalie Scholl did make a post advising the ways to spot a fake kit, but a scary situation nonetheless. Just my two cents.
avigrace96

Post by avigrace96 »

I used to never buy a doll without the COA. I like to display them and wouldn't want to accidentally purchase a knock off. However, since I began reborning and realized how easily they can be misplaced (especially storing a large number or during a move) I have changed my mind on the matter and will buy without from reputable artists. IMO, it does hurt the resell value a little but the resell value on reborns is already low. If I love the baby and feel confident it is coming from a trusted seller, it is no longer a deal-breaker.
MariaJose and Zu

Post by MariaJose and Zu »

I just prefer that my dolls have coa in case in the future I would like to sell and for the buyer it would be important.

For me, the coa does not matter at all. :D

Zu, forever in my heart :heart:
susan2015

Post by susan2015 »

MariaJose and Zu wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:54 am I just prefer that my dolls have coa in case in the future I would like to sell and for the buyer it would be important.

I totally agree with you Maria :D for me personally i am not bothered.
But If i purchase an expensive silicone baby i do worry that if i decide to sell in the future, it may devalue the doll without the coa :dunno:
I have just bought a gorgeous silicone baby with the artist & sculpt on his neck, but no coa.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I prefer to have the coa....but, if I really wanted a doll & trusted the seller....I would still buy without coa.
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

I think it's really important to have the COA to maintain resale value. I have seen highly sort after, rare kits sell for a lot less because of having no COA. As a collector I think it's important to have.
DancesWithDolls

Post by DancesWithDolls »

rdodd75 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:27 pm I think it's really important to have the COA to maintain resale value. I have seen highly sort after, rare kits sell for a lot less because of having no COA. As a collector I think it's important to have.
I agree. I actually purchased a highly sought after kit for pennies (compared to what I see them selling for) because the seller had misplaced the COA. I'm keeping the doll for myself so it wasn't a huge issue, but when I'm paying full price or these after the fact mark-up prices for LE sold out kits, then the COA had better be with it.
“A beloved dolls voice speaks directly to your soul in a
way that cannot be explained in words.”
― Gayle Wray
MariaJose and Zu

Post by MariaJose and Zu »

susan2015 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:52 am
MariaJose and Zu wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:54 am I just prefer that my dolls have coa in case in the future I would like to sell and for the buyer it would be important.

I totally agree with you Maria :D for me personally i am not bothered.
But If i purchase an expensive silicone baby i do worry that if i decide to sell in the future, it may devalue the doll without the coa :dunno:
I have just bought a gorgeous silicone baby with the artist & sculpt on his neck, but no coa.
Some artists don´t make a coa. Who is your baby? :D

Zu, forever in my heart :heart:
Threads

Post by Threads »

I am not bothered if the doll I purchase has a COA or not, if I like the doll and know the seller has a good reputation that will do it for me.