How would you handle this?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Re: How would you handle this?

Post by Susan@childrenoftheheart »

Hi Tracy,

As a business, I have a policy that there are no refunds on layaways and no transferring from one doll to another. I was stung in the past a couple of times and had to resort to these measures. With layaways going up to a year or longer sometimes, the chance of me selling the doll again is next to nothing. I had a lady place a layaway for two dolls for $17,500. After 10 months had passed, and returned checks, she had only paid $2000. To this day, I still have the one doll in inventory. That was over 10 years ago! I state when I sell no refunds and no transfers. She lost the $2000 — she was a lawyer — buyer’s remorse and more than likely found something else she wanted. I have had so many excuses over the years you just don’t know who to believe. I could write a script for a reality show! I am truly sorry when people fall on tough times — but how do we really know they are telling the truth — especially when you see them on FB posting their new baby they just bought!
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

I think a lot of the ladies here made good suggestions. I don't think you are obligated to refund her the money, just my opinion. If you do decide to, keeping 10% is more than fair given the hassle and the fact that you will need to re-list and sell the baby. I would also not refund until you are able to sell the doll. Another option would be to allow her to apply what she has already paid towards a future doll you sell but have an expiration date (like 1 year).

Good luck with your decision! It all depends on what you're personally comfortable with.
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

since she is not expecting a refund, sell the doll and give the new buyer the credit she's already paid. So you get paid what you wanted and someone else gets a doll at a reduced price.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I think you are entitled to keep her deposit on the lay away. It is usually understood that deposits are non-refundable. If you are able to sell the doll to someone else for the same price you were going to get, I would then refund her the money she paid above the deposit AFTER you have been paid in full on the doll. If you decide to keep the doll, then I would go ahead and refund it to her (minus the deposit for your trouble). That way you are not out the doll and you got something for your troubles.
cyndig77

Post by cyndig77 »

Reading all of this I am so glad I asked you all about layaway when someone in Spain wanted to buy my Quinlynn! I decided not to sell on layaway and suggested that she save her money until she had the purchase price as I didn't really intend to actively seek a sale. I will not do layaway through PayPal ever knowing their policy regarding partial payments. This forum, you ladies are a wealth of information and support!
Thank you all!
LadyFortuna

Post by LadyFortuna »

anjsmiles Angie wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm I think you are entitled to keep her deposit on the lay away. It is usually understood that deposits are non-refundable. If you are able to sell the doll to someone else for the same price you were going to get, I would then refund her the money she paid above the deposit AFTER you have been paid in full on the doll. If you decide to keep the doll, then I would go ahead and refund it to her (minus the deposit for your trouble). That way you are not out the doll and you got something for your troubles.
I agree with this post - keep the deposit portion as initial consideration. Although, everything is relative. Are we talking about a $300 doll or a $10,000+ doll...sometimes the deposit may not be enough to cover your lost time and effort of having to relist again. I didn't know that policy about Paypal on partial payments for sellers. Wow, good to know.

"[Collecting dolls] is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
-Forrest Gump
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

Tracy so sorry this happened to you but I agree with Angie...…….but really it's up to you...………...I would probably keep some of the deposit if it were me and then send the rest to her...……………….Hugs, Kathy
MissyDoll

Post by MissyDoll »

Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:00 pm Hi Tracy,

As a business, I have a policy that there are no refunds on layaways and no transferring from one doll to another. I was stung in the past a couple of times and had to resort to these measures. With layaways going up to a year or longer sometimes, the chance of me selling the doll again is next to nothing. I had a lady place a layaway for two dolls for $17,500. After 10 months had passed, and returned checks, she had only paid $2000. To this day, I still have the one doll in inventory. That was over 10 years ago! I state when I sell no refunds and no transfers. She lost the $2000 — she was a lawyer — buyer’s remorse and more than likely found something else she wanted. I have had so many excuses over the years you just don’t know who to believe. I could write a script for a reality show! I am truly sorry when people fall on tough times — but how do we really know they are telling the truth — especially when you see them on FB posting their new baby they just bought!
Last edited by MissyDoll on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Mariemay wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:42 pm
Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:00 pm Hi Tracy,

This seems so unfair!
Just a thought, don't shoot me, going a bit off topic here, but why are sellers expected to carry the cost of the doll and risk not being able to sell it later down the line? New dolls are coming out all the time, so I can understand it might not sell at a later date, or sell for a huge loss. If sellers don't offer layaways, they are not kind? :? If buyers can't afford a doll at the time, why not save up until they have enough, or go to a bank and make a loan? Life happens, so therefore there just seems to be so many let downs with layaways.
The problem is — that particular doll was a hot item — 3 others buyers wanted her. She was on the front cover of the magazine. Fast forward 10 months later, none of them had any interest and had moved on to the next hot item. They would have paid in full — but I had already committed to the buyer who reneged on her layaway. I don’t go back on my commitments. Lesson learned and thus the new policies established — which were very similar to the other big doll shops at the time.
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

What about offering a refund ONLY if you can resell the doll for the same price?
Deduct any differences you lose in the resell.
E.g.
She bought from you $2000, has paid $1000. So far.
You resell and only get $1700 now. Her refund would be $700.
I hope what I wrote makes sense.
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Another thought -- why not fulfill your contract with the seller. When the buyer gets the doll, it is on her/him now to resell it. If the buyer doesn't have the cash, then use a credit card to pay off the balance, sell the doll and then pay off the credit card. I've done that in the past especially if business has been slow and I owe the artist! Just a thought to ponder over.
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Suzanne wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm since she is not expecting a refund, sell the doll and give the new buyer the credit she's already paid. So you get paid what you wanted and someone else gets a doll at a reduced price.
I've done this before :D
Denise O

Post by Denise O »

Its a tough decision. I think if you were to refund her then she has not lost anything and no lesson was learned. This seems to be a habit forming in the community. People do not hold up their contractual obligations with little to no repercussions. I would maybe do as some suggested and try to resell the doll and perhaps offer her a partial refund. It is not uncommon when you return something to have to pay a restocking fee. I would give yourself a credit for time wasted and refund a portion of the payments should you be able to sell the doll at the original selling price.
Threads

Post by Threads »

No refund and no swopping of dolls