How would you handle this?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Tracy Lorraine

How would you handle this?

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

Thanks for all the replies. :hug: I appreciate everyone that took the time to give me their opinion.
Last edited by Tracy Lorraine on Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cookielover

Re: How would you handle this?

Post by cookielover »

I think it is entirely up to you and how comfortable you feel sending a different doll at the amount she has paid. I would ask myself a couple of questions -- what difference would it make to YOU if you sent the replacement baby and what difference would it make to HER? How dependable has she been in sending the money? JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Elle Rae

Post by Elle Rae »

Well said Ruth. I think what the buyer has proposed sounds like a fair compromise, and that way neither of you are walking away empty handed. But, that was not your original agreement, and it's all in what you're comfortable with.
MariaJose and Zu

Post by MariaJose and Zu »

I'm sorry that this has happened to you, Tracy.

And sorry if this sounds unpleasant, but the layaway is not refoundable. You don´t need to return the money paid.

However, if you have another doll that you would like to sell for the price that she has paid, it would be an intermediate solution.

Best wishes :hug:

Zu, forever in my heart :heart:
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

That's a tough call Tracy. Do what feels right for you.
judyismyname

Post by judyismyname »

Well, I guess this depends on how resellable the baby she had on layaway is! Can you still list her and get the same value out of her again? ( do I want her? :lol: )

As previously stated, do you have another doll that you could sell to her for what she has paid?

And lastly, can you live with yourself doing nothing, keeping the money and sticking with the non refundable layaway upon cancellation policy? P
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

MariaJose and Zu wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm I'm sorry that this has happened to you, Tracy.

And sorry if this sounds unpleasant, but the layaway is not refoundable. You don´t need to return the money paid.

However, if you have another doll that you would like to sell for the price that she has paid, it would be an intermediate solution.

Best wishes :hug:
This is the way I would handle this situation to.
MissyDoll

Post by MissyDoll »

Keep a small amount for your costs.
Last edited by MissyDoll on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyleeCat S

Post by KyleeCat S »

As a buyer, I expect that the deposit is non-refundable. I have never backed out of a sale after I sent the depost. I have had to ask for a little extra time because of an unexpected and major life event though. If you have another doll, you could do that with no hard feelings. If you refunded her everything except the deposit, then that would be fair and understood by the general doll community as well.
KYLEE
susan2015

Post by susan2015 »

Oh no how disappointing for you :foryou:
I dread that situation arising. Sweet of you to accept a long layaway. I would personally keep the deposit.

I have experienced problems when selling dolls with buyers changing their mind after agreeing to pay :?
Hope that you find a happy compromise Tracy x
frannie

Post by frannie »

This is an unfortunate situation. I don't think that sending her another doll would be a satisfactory solution for either party even if you happen to have one in that price range that you are willing to part with, which is unlikely I guess...I would personally let the buyer know that I will refund her money once I've sold the doll in question to someone else. Then nobody loses anything.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hugs,
Frannie
:heart: Bray :heart:
KyleeCat S

Post by KyleeCat S »

frannie wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 pm This is an unfortunate situation. I don't think that sending her another doll would be a satisfactory solution for either party even if you happen to have one in that price range that you are willing to part with, which is unlikely I guess...I would personally let the buyer know that I will refund her money once I've sold the doll in question to someone else. Then nobody loses anything.

Hugs,
Frannie
This is a great suggestion as well!
KYLEE
Delbra

Post by Delbra »

As a collector myself we all understand the terms of the agreement going into a situation like this.
She has left you an alternative solution if you have a doll you want to part with. But then you run the risk of her saying that the doll you sent her was not of the same quality.( Please don't get upset with me. This is just my personal opinion. I have seen it happen time and time again.) This is one of the reasons I do not ask for a layaway plan on a doll. Life is full of surprises and our situations can change in the blink of an eye. If I don't have the money to pay in full then I save and pray that the doll is still available when I do. I know a lot of people disagree with me but I would never want to leave some one hanging waiting for me to make a payment or in this case change my mind. So sorry you are having to go thru this.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dolly Hugs,
Delbra
Angelicabeb

Post by Angelicabeb »

I had single parent lady in Canada begin a layaway with me in December 2017. The dolls price was $325. USD plus actual shipping costs from US to Canada. She sent me 2 payments equalling $125. USD both in December. This lady and I spoke daily, a million questions, what will I name her, what brand clothing fits her best, she is my dream baby, what does she come with again? Her daughter cannot wait till her sister is home.
The lady fell on hard times and for 4 months I received no money at all even though we talked every day.
Then she gives me a date and says she need an invoice for $150. USD on Friday, April 27. I sent her an invoice and waited, no money, she would not even return my messages even though she read them :( Waited another week and said very nicely that this is no way to treat someone that has treated you with respect and dignity. Within 5 minutes of that message, she filed PayPal chargeback claims against me. I was always told by PayPal, they do not cover partial payment or layaways of any kind. My invoices included all info and that these were partial payments.
PayPal told me to refund her money or send her the doll, I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
No matter which representative I spoke with they were my only options. I was stumped :(
All that time went by and partial payments and she still won. Plus I could have sold that doll 5 times over in that time frame.

I hope you have a much better outcome Tracy than I did. So sorry you are going through this.❤
Thank you,
Angelica

DMKreiser

Post by DMKreiser »

When I do a layaway I expect that if I back out I will receive no money back. If that was the agreement then thats what happens. Seriously, what if she does to someone else and says "well the last person did this" jmo
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

Harsh as it sounds I wouldn't refund. Buyer agreed to the terms of the sale and has now had to back out for whatever reason. The most I would offer would be to relist the doll for sale and if it sells at the full original price you could refund less a 20% restocking fee. Just my opnion of course. Of course if the buyer paid with PayPal they wil likelyl not protect you. Sorry you are having to deal with a problem.

Jo in the UK
DollyBabeChris

Post by DollyBabeChris »

Does this person have a history of cancelling layaways? I understand that some times things really do come up out of the blue, and hardships can happen. As long as this person doesn’t have a history of jerking sellers around, I would err on the side of forgiveness. Trust your gut, Tracy. I know you will do the right thing. We support you.
Chris

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I hate when this type of thing happens. I would probably keep the deposit just for the fact that maybe the doll could have been sold to someone else initially instead of dealing with layaway hassles. I also like Frannie's suggestion of refunding the buyer only if someone else now buys the doll.
Hugs,
Nadia

georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

As a person who's financial circumstances have changed having to quit my job because of my MS going on disability (yuck) much less income for me and now Justin needing financial help, I can only do layaways and haven't bought a doll for some time. If I commit to a layaway I will make the payments I have felt blessed that I have been able to buy dolls from wonderful Ladies here on DollFan who have offered dolls on layaway, it is my reputation and integrity on the line if I would renig on my promise so it is important to me to keep my promise. I have always gone into a layaway with the understanding that if I stop making payments any money I have sent the seller is non-refundable and I wouldn't ask for the money back.

Frannie's suggestion below might be a perfect solution, if it would bother you to keep the money and the doll.

This is an unfortunate situation. I don't think that sending her another doll would be a satisfactory solution for either party even if you happen to have one in that price range that you are willing to part with, which is unlikely I guess...I would personally let the buyer know that I will refund her money once I've sold the doll in question to someone else. Then nobody loses anything.

Hugs,
Frannie
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

Thank you for all the support & suggestions. I’m reading and considering each option. Feel free to chime in.