What are your thoughts about this?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
avigrace96

Re: What are your thoughts about this?

Post by avigrace96 »

Jackie, was it $195 AUD? If so, the conversion to USD would be less than $150. Laura’s kits are pricier but I’m sure she will remain under that, given that she does not have a full torso. No price is listed on the website yet.
JackieKay

Post by JackieKay »

avigrace96 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 am Jackie, was it $195 AUD? If so, the conversion to USD would be less than $150. Laura’s kits are pricier but I’m sure she will remain under that, given that she does not have a full torso. No price is listed on the website yet.
Hmmm - maybe it was - I'm not sure - what it said was: "Fixed Pre-Order Price Guarantee: The price of this kit will be $195 (includes GST). International buyers do not pay Australian GST."
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Initially looking at the photo I did not immediately think Saskia. But looking at it closely I do see a resemblance. I have several babies by both Laura and Bonnie and love them. That being said, I was never a fan of the Saskia sculpt and feel the same way about Gertie.
Hugs,
Nadia

Shannon

Post by Shannon »

There are only so many ways you can sculpt an open-mouthed kit and position the legs for an larger, "older" baby. Real babies tend to babble with their tongues in that position all the time at that "age". Plus, with the tongue up, artists can insert teeth when reborning it. The fingers are in all different positions and it looks like she created one hand to insert in the mouth to create a thumb sucker. Saskia is a very popular kit because of its personality, but it doesn't mean that it should be the only one of its kind to ever be created.
Carolr

Post by Carolr »

I saw the similarities the minute I saw Gertie...immediately thought of Saskia.

LLE is an amazing sculptor with exquisite talent. I don’t think she would ever copy another artists sculpt. It’s very evident that this sculpt is not a copy as they are not identical, but I do agree they are similar.

I have seen several versions of Gertie and on some I see no similarity in the face at all.

As others have said, there are only so many ways to sculpt limbs, mouth and eyes and I have seen many kits that resemble each other.
:idea: Hugs, Carol
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

There is a lot of discussion going on about it on instagram and facebook. It would be interesting to know Bonnie's opinion. I think for there to be so much discussion the similarities are obviously very evident.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

rdodd75 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:24 pm There is a lot of discussion going on about it on instagram and facebook. It would be interesting to know Bonnie's opinion. I think for there to be so much discussion the similarities are obviously very evident.
Bonnie has way too much couth to engage in this topic. Both Laura and Bonnie are highly respected and successful sculptors in the dolly community. Neither one needs to ride on each other’s coattails. These similarities that are mentioned are COMMON traits on real infants. It’s not copying. There are only so many things you can do with mouths, fingers, and legs. Please STOP trying to ruin a sculptor’s reputation.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Shannon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:49 pm
rdodd75 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:24 pm There is a lot of discussion going on about it on instagram and facebook. It would be interesting to know Bonnie's opinion. I think for there to be so much discussion the similarities are obviously very evident.
Bonnie has way too much couth to engage in this topic. Both Laura and Bonnie are highly respected and successful sculptors in the dolly community. Neither one needs to ride on each other’s coattails. These similarities that are mentioned are COMMON traits on real infants. It’s not copying. There are only so many things you can do with mouths, fingers, and legs. Please STOP trying to ruin a sculptor’s reputation.
When I saw that people were "discussing" this on "Instagram" and "facebook", my first thought was don't these people have anything better to do then try to bad mouth artists. Honestly when I saw it brought here I was pretty irked because to me it is just spreading stupid gossip.
Last edited by georgeanne on Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Shannon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:49 pm
Agree....
It's a lot of gum flapping over nothing,imo
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

My comment was just based on observations. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's reputation. I'm not the only one commenting here or on other social media platforms. When does it becoming concerning to sculptors that other people's work has strong resemblances to their own?
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

rdodd75 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm My comment was just based on observations. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's reputation. I'm not the only one commenting here or on other social media platforms. When does it becoming concerning to sculptors that other people's work has strong resemblances to their own?
No one is singling you out. My comments are about the discussions in general, not you specifically.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Threads

Post by Threads »

I saw a picture of Gertie when Ruth asked me to make the outfit, I fell in love, never occurred to me it was like any other kit, just knew I would buy two, and I did when they went on sale yesterday. Here in the UK its £120.00 plus £5.50 post for one £11.50 for two kits. I also have three Saskia kits in my stash as well.

Just looked on her site and Gertie is $133.99 -
Last edited by Threads on Sun May 27, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatW

Post by CatW »

gabbys_babes wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:55 pm As some of us have probably seen already, Laura Lee Eagles kit newest kit looks very similar to an already incredibly popular kit, saskia by Bonnie Brown. Does anyone else feel this way? What are your thoughts?
Sadly because of posts such as this, Laura felt the NEED to justify herself and posted sculpting photos of Gertie along with a picture of the baby she was modeled after. :heart: :heart:
Please try to be a bit more considerate of others feelings before bringing up a topic that compares two sculpts by two well loved artists. It causes friction, dissension, and hurts the artist mention. :heart:
hugs xo, Cat
BeachBabiesKim

Post by BeachBabiesKim »

Just as I was dismayed that people felt the need to gossip about this stupid non issue on Facebook, I am just as disappointed that it was brought here too. By insinuating that Laura copied Bonnie all you are doing is hurting the doll community as a whole, not to mention making a talented artist feel as if she needs to "prove" her kit is original.