What are your thoughts about this?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
gabbys_babes

What are your thoughts about this?

Post by gabbys_babes »

As some of us have probably seen already, Laura Lee Eagles kit newest kit looks very similar to an already incredibly popular kit, saskia by Bonnie Brown. Does anyone else feel this way? What are your thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
avigrace96

Re: What are your thoughts about this?

Post by avigrace96 »

I am a huge LLE fan, but I too think “Gertie” looks a lot like “Saskia.” Not just in the face, but also the limbs. There has been a lot of discussion about this on instagram as well, and it appears the majority sees the resemblance...
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm finding similarities in a lot of new kits to other kits.
Rebecca Katie

Post by Rebecca Katie »

I thought that was Saskia at first lol! Even the limbs are similar. The Gertie OOAK looked less like Saskia than this reborned version does. Some people are saying Laura copied Bonnie, but I don't really think so. So many kits look similar nowadays. They would make adorable twins!
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Post by Susan@childrenoftheheart »

I would stake my reputation on saying that Laura Lee Eagles would NEVER copy another artist’s work. Heck, didn’t you ever walk down the street and think you saw someone but realized that it wasn’t them even though they looked so much alike the person you thought they were. I have been told that I look like several people. It is just bound to happen with so many artists and so many babies being sculpted. JMHO!
32497AAC-73EC-43D1-93EB-6DF30B6240D7.jpeg
9D1DF4B8-00CA-47A7-914E-CD1976D1A89A.jpeg
That being said — all I see in common is two babies with their different shaped mouths open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Susan@childrenoftheheart on Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

well I love Laura Lee to pieces and I am very sure she didn't copy Bonnie... the fingers and the outstretched leg are similar to Saskia, but how many poses can a baby do before they look the same?.. is this one smaller? I have not even seen this baby until now... I think her face a lot different
MissyDoll

Post by MissyDoll »

I don't know if it was copied or not, I think Laura Lee is very talented and doesn't need to copy anyone, but I too saw the resemblance immediately, the eyes, mouth as well as everything else. Its not the first time that I have seen one of her kits resemble another artist. I also think many artists copy from each other, its not hard to spot. I wonder if artists run out of idea's?
Last edited by MissyDoll on Tue May 22, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttulsajess

Post by ttulsajess »

There are all the tons of sleeping smilers coming out in the next 6 months. Are they all copying each other? Or is it just a popular trend of expression and size? I don't think that Laura Lee Eagles is copying. I would feel comfortable maybe saying she was inspired by Saskia but I wouldn't say she copied her.
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

I thought the same thing too. I think it's the mouth. I don't think either artist would copy the other though. There are so many kits out now till I can't even keep up with them.
gabbys_babes

Post by gabbys_babes »

***Just want to clear things up- I’m not saying nor did I imply that Laura copied Bonnie***

That being said, I think they’re very similar especially on the limbs. Obviously there are differences, two different sculptors. But I think that with Laura being as talented as she is, could have come up with a little more diversity from saskia.

I personally feel as if all her recent kits have been very similar looking and I welcome this new one as being so different from her other kits.
gabbys_babes

Post by gabbys_babes »

Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm I would stake my reputation on saying that Laura Lee Eagles would NEVER copy another artist’s work. Heck, didn’t you ever walk down the street and think you saw someone but realized that it wasn’t them even though they looked so much alike the person you thought they were. I have been told that I look like several people. It is just bound to happen with so many artists and so many babies being sculpted. JMHO!
You bring up a good point about people having doppelgängers but that’s real life. These are dolls that are sculpted to look any way the artist wants them too. :dunno:
Of course the market right now is flooded and there’s going to be crossing of looks but some are so similar it makes you stop and think. Please don’t think I’m accusing Laura of doing anything because I’m not, but I just want to hear everyone’s opinions.
Lucky_Mommy_Rebakah

Post by Lucky_Mommy_Rebakah »

My thoughts when I see kits that look a lot alike is that the artists may have been looking at the same baby photograph when sculpting the doll. I don't know if artists look at real baby pictures for inspiration or not, I know as an artist if I am in the mood to draw and nothing has popped into my head i will look at images or step outside and look around for ideas.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

I can see the similarities... but so many dolls look alike these days...
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Post by Susan@childrenoftheheart »

gabbys_babes wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm
Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm I would stake my reputation on saying that Laura Lee Eagles would NEVER copy another artist’s work. Heck, didn’t you ever walk down the street and think you saw someone but realized that it wasn’t them even though they looked so much alike the person you thought they were. I have been told that I look like several people. It is just bound to happen with so many artists and so many babies being sculpted. JMHO!
You bring up a good point about people having doppelgängers but that’s real life. These are dolls that are sculpted to look any way the artist wants them too. :dunno:
Of course the market right now is flooded and there’s going to be crossing of looks but some are so similar it makes you stop and think. Please don’t think I’m accusing Laura of doing anything because I’m not, but I just want to hear everyone’s opinions.
Oh absolutely not — I was just expressing my opinion. Sorry if it came off that way.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Funny, because I don't see much of a similarity and I am one who has said for years that so many sculpts from different artists look like each other. Not that I think they copy each other, it must just be a coincidence.
Last edited by georgeanne on Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

I think they look very much alike, the mouth, the outstretched leg, the finger.
Annette

Post by Annette »

Maybe artists are seeing what is a popular expression now and making their kits similar?

I highly doubt that this is a copy........two very talented artists, with similar visions.
Hugs Annette
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

I see a couple of similarities between the 2 kits. Definitely not a dead ringer though :)
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

It's interesting but I didn't think of Saskia at all when I saw this kit. I think the faces look totally different. Now that you pointed out some of the similarities with the limbs, I guess I can kind of see it now, but I definitely didn't think it at first glance.
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
JackieKay

Post by JackieKay »

Has anyone seen a price yet for this kit here in the US? I know one Australian site says $195 but that includes their Goods and Services Tax which I believe is 10% of the price and which I believe US buyers wouldn't have to pay. If that's the case as near as I can figure the US price would be around $178 but I'm not sure I figured right.