Help buying dolls????

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 am

I'm fairly new at all this (1.5 years) and I suck at buying dolls! I think I pay way too much but I really don't know the ins and outs and what sculpts are popular and what isn't and I think people can smell me coming a mile away! I get really frustrated when I see a doll for sale exactly like mine in the same shape sell for 1/2 the price. :banghead: IS there anyone that can help before I buy? Give me advice? Maybe a website or older collector? I feel like I get screwed all the time and its making me want to sell everything and leave the hobby all together. :cry: Any advice would be great.

Thank you
Kirstin
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
cookielover
Posts: 8448
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: S.F. Bay Area, California

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by cookielover » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 am

My advise is only buy what you really love and can't live without. It is very easy to get taken over by the excitement of buying dolls (or many things for that matter). Also remember... very few if any dolls hold their value over time since there is always another one that is just darling... artists continue to make them. Think of a doll as a car -- as you buy the car and drive it off the lot the value goes down, down. That is what is true of most dolls. I speak from experience with the way too many dolls I have and that are not selling. When you find an artist you like -- stick with them. Best of luck, Ruth
Image
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:11 am

Thank you! I do like the dolls I buy but sometimes I feel like I've been taken advantage of I guess. At the moment I'm thinking of just selling most and having 1 by my favorite artist. This hobby is too expensive at times. I'm just frustrated at the moment. :roll:

cookielover wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 am
My advise is only buy what you really love and can't live without. It is very easy to get taken over by the excitement of buying dolls (or many things for that matter). Also remember... very few if any dolls hold their value over time since there is always another one that is just darling... artists continue to make them. Think of a doll as a car -- as you buy the car and drive it off the lot the value goes down, down. That is what is true of most dolls. I speak from experience with the way too many dolls I have and that are not selling. When you find an artist you like -- stick with them. Best of luck, Ruth
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 34739
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by georgeanne » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am

I absolutely agree with Ruth 100%. I also think that it is very easy to get caught up in the buying frenzy. You have to come to the realization that not having a houseful of expensive dolls you basically only look at isn't that fulfilling in the long run, except for bragging rights that is.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am

You are exactly right!!!!! I don't know why I got so caught up in the first place. I have slowed way down over the last 6 month but that first year I was buying whatever is cute. I'd love to downsize one at a time and keep it simple. Half my collection is boxed up anyway. I just wish I knew someone to ask their advice. For instance older dolls. I have no clue what they are worth or what has sold in the past.

georgeanne wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am
I absolutely agree with Ruth 100%. I also think that it is very easy to get caught up in the buying frenzy. You have to come to the realization that not having a houseful of expensive dolls you basically only look at isn't that fulfilling in the long run, except for bragging rights that is.
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image


User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 34739
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by georgeanne » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am

KLynn17 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am
You are exactly right!!!!! I don't know why I got so caught up in the first place. I have slowed way down over the last 6 month but that first year I was buying whatever is cute. I'd love to downsize one at a time and keep it simple. Half my collection is boxed up anyway.

georgeanne wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am
I absolutely agree with Ruth 100%. I also think that it is very easy to get caught up in the buying frenzy. You have to come to the realization that not having a houseful of expensive dolls you basically only look at isn't that fulfilling in the long run, except for bragging rights that is.
It has happened to me, so I speak from experience. I have been collecting a very long time, I mean looooooooooooong time. My beloved Aunt Vera got me started with Madame Alexanderkins dolls when I was 5 years old. I have antique and vintage dolls, reborns, silicone, small OOAK's. I was forced to stop working because I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis some years ago and it put an almost screeching halt to me doll buying. But I can still look and drool and when the stars align am able to buy one, but I have no room either for that matter so need to sell a few myself.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts

User avatar
Becca
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by Becca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 pm

georgeanne wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am
I absolutely agree with Ruth 100%. I also think that it is very easy to get caught up in the buying frenzy. You have to come to the realization that not having a houseful of expensive dolls you basically only look at isn't that fulfilling in the long run, except for bragging rights that is.
You hit the nail on the head, Georgeanne. I feel this way. I’m so sick of the costs of a good reborn and the competing. It gets depressing. I still collect, but I try not to get too deep into it. For me, I think it’s better as a hobby kept at a distance (that probably doesn’t make sense). I’ve come to the realization I would rather spend my money on trips with friends because my expensive dolls DO just sit there for the most part. I’m not judging anyone, that’s just how I feel personally.

My tip for buying a doll is tonget one you LOVE. Don’t worry about it it’s a deal or bargain or highly desired (I’ve done that too many times). Make sure the kit is one you adore, and the painting is what you want. The whole deal. That’s what matters. Buy as if it is staying in your collection forever.
:foryou:

User avatar
Jasmin
Posts: 5572
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by Jasmin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

The one thing one must realize when buying dolls is, that when reselling them you more often lose money.

It is rare to actually make a profit.

The doll market is way too over flooded with reborns and silicones and also way too many Artists out there to choose from.

Private sales more often sell at a loss unless the baby is highly sought after !

And if some reborns ( or silicone ) sell higher than others, you must take in consideration that it was made more than likely by a really famous reborn Artist and of course then that baby was also a higher price when the seller bought it.

I have learned though that reborn vinyl babies mostly don't hold their value ( purchase price ) when selling, as there is always new vinyl doll kits being made and the market is flooded really.
Image
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm

How much money would you say you lose when trying to resell? I'm trying to sell a brand new doll I got just a couple weeks ago and having a hard time. Its really not good on the wallet and makes me want to not buy anymore ever! Its super frustrating. I don't plan to make a profit but its so hard to lose hundreds on a doll you just bought :(
Jasmin wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm
The one thing one must realize when buying dolls is, that when reselling them you more often lose money.

It is rare to actually make a profit.

The doll market is way too over flooded with reborns and silicones and also way too many Artists out there to choose from.

Private sales more often sell at a loss unless the baby is highly sought after !

And if some reborns ( or silicone ) sell higher than others, you must take in consideration that it was made more than likely by a really famous reborn Artist and of course then that baby was also a higher price when the seller bought it.

I have learned though that reborn vinyl babies mostly don't hold their value ( purchase price ) when selling, as there is always new vinyl doll kits being made and the market is flooded really.
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
NadiaK
Posts: 12326
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:48 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by NadiaK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm

KLynn17 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm
How much money would you say you lose when trying to resell? I'm trying to sell a brand new doll I got just a couple weeks ago and having a hard time. Its really not good on the wallet and makes me want to not buy anymore ever! Its super frustrating. I don't plan to make a profit but its so hard to lose hundreds on a doll you just bought :(

As a general rule, I have found especially with reborns you can expect to lose 50% or more of your purchase price when reselling. Unless it is a highly sought after sculpt done by a top artist. The same is true with ooaks that sadly sell for peanuts if you can sell them at all. The only dolls I have sold that have retained their price somewhat are silicones. I am at the point that I absolutely have to be over the moon with a doll to add her to my collection.
Hugs,
Nadia

9591

User avatar
frannie
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:56 am
Location: Europe

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by frannie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

I know what doll you are speaking of. I honestly don't think you have been taken advantage of. The same doll you have seen now for the lower price is undervalued in my opinion and a very rare deal. And you have to also consider who painted the doll (not the same artist as yours) and so it's not exactly the same baby and the way a silicone is painted can make a huge difference...not saying the other baby is worth less, just that you can't always compare one of the same sculpt with the other - I hope that makes sence :oops: ...in the end, a doll is always worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

If you want an honest opinion before you buy a baby I'm sure many long standing members are more than willing to discuss it with you privatly. I have been around and collecting for many years and although I have stopped buying a lot I still follow the dolly world almost daily and I'm alwaays glad to help. Feel free to pm me anytime with questions...

Hugs,
Frannie
Hugs, Frannie
Image

User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 34739
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by georgeanne » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Becca is absolutely right in her wisdom about dolls. She has some very good rules to follow.

I think if Frannie is thinking of the doll you might be referring to I also don't think you paid too much. The one I see now is a smokin deal but shouldn't make you think you paid too much for the gorgeous one you have.

As far as reborns go, unfortunately I also agree with Nadia, and even some of the well known prototype reborns are not selling or will eventually be sold for A LOT less than they originally sold for.

I also agree with Jasmin, the market for dolls is so oversaturated and it will absolutely negatively affect the resale value of any doll as a general rule.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts

User avatar
DianeLovesBabies
Posts: 8856
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by DianeLovesBabies » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Most of my silicones I bought directly from the artist and that is how I like to buy mine. Always want to be the first owner so the baby does not have any issues. So I pay the artist price and when it is time to let one go I have to take a loss to let it go. It gets very expensive doing that too. So I have decided to just keep what I have and enjoy them. Some hold their value and sadly some do not. Just part of the doll collecting world and I try not to let it bother me too much. You can always ask people in a private message if a doll for sale is a good buy or a bad decision. So many of us have been doing this for many years.

Hugs,
Diane
Be happy and play with dolls!

MadelinesNursery
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by MadelinesNursery » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm

SECOND HAND!! The only artist that I would ever buy directly from is Andrea Arcello because I find her pricing to be fair and she offers customizations. Other than that, second hand is usally a better option.

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm

No no I don't think I've been taken advantage of but maybe just not knowledgable in buying. I've had people tell me I overpaid and really I just though "oh well I loved the baby so I bought it." I didn't even really need the doll and wasn't looking at the time. I just wish I knew more about the different artist and which babies, sculpts were worth what so that when I buy I know what I'm doing. I appreciate your willingness to help me. I will definitely reach out to anyone willing to help me in the future. I think I will just be taking a long break until I can sell some and focus on what I really want.
frannie wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm
I know what doll you are speaking of. I honestly don't think you have been taken advantage of. The same doll you have seen now for the lower price is undervalued in my opinion and a very rare deal. And you have to also consider who painted the doll (not the same artist as yours) and so it's not exactly the same baby and the way a silicone is painted can make a huge difference...not saying the other baby is worth less, just that you can't always compare one of the same sculpt with the other - I hope that makes sence :oops: ...in the end, a doll is always worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

If you want an honest opinion before you buy a baby I'm sure many long standing members are more than willing to discuss it with you privatly. I have been around and collecting for many years and although I have stopped buying a lot I still follow the dolly world almost daily and I'm alwaays glad to help. Feel free to pm me anytime with questions...

Hugs,
Frannie
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Thank you! I really love the doll I got. I think other people got in my head and told me I paid way too much and it had me thinking about how I've been buying/collecting the past year and a half and I do sort of pull the trigger too quickly in fear. I need to stop and think more. I guess you live and learn.

georgeanne wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:13 pm
Becca is absolutely right in her wisdom about dolls. She has some very good rules to follow.

I think if Frannie is thinking of the doll you might be referring to I also don't think you paid too much. The one I see now is a smokin deal but shouldn't make you think you paid too much for the gorgeous one you have.

As far as reborns go, unfortunately I also agree with Nadia, and even some of the well known prototype reborns are not selling or will eventually be sold for A LOT less than they originally sold for.

I also agree with Jasmin, the market for dolls is so oversaturated and it will absolutely negatively affect the resale value of any doll as a general rule.
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Great advice!!! I think this is a rule I need to follow from now on.
MadelinesNursery wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm
SECOND HAND!! The only artist that I would ever buy directly from is Andrea Arcello because I find her pricing to be fair and she offers customizations. Other than that, second hand is usally a better option.
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Thank you! They definitely don't hold their value so I guess we need to ask ourselves if we plan to keep this baby for the long haul. I thought I was with most but my taste have changed so I want to downsize the collection and losing so much money is hard to swallow :|
Jasmin wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm
The one thing one must realize when buying dolls is, that when reselling them you more often lose money.

It is rare to actually make a profit.

The doll market is way too over flooded with reborns and silicones and also way too many Artists out there to choose from.

Private sales more often sell at a loss unless the baby is highly sought after !

And if some reborns ( or silicone ) sell higher than others, you must take in consideration that it was made more than likely by a really famous reborn Artist and of course then that baby was also a higher price when the seller bought it.

I have learned though that reborn vinyl babies mostly don't hold their value ( purchase price ) when selling, as there is always new vinyl doll kits being made and the market is flooded really.
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
KLynn17
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by KLynn17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm

I think that is what I'm going to do. Take a loss and let it go. Live and learn. I'm trying to stuff it down..lol. :banghead:
DianeLovesBabies wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm
Most of my silicones I bought directly from the artist and that is how I like to buy mine. Always want to be the first owner so the baby does not have any issues. So I pay the artist price and when it is time to let one go I have to take a loss to let it go. It gets very expensive doing that too. So I have decided to just keep what I have and enjoy them. Some hold their value and sadly some do not. Just part of the doll collecting world and I try not to let it bother me too much. You can always ask people in a private message if a doll for sale is a good buy or a bad decision. So many of us have been doing this for many years.

Hugs,
Diane
:heart:
KIRSTIN

Image

User avatar
JanBeth
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:39 pm
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Contact:

Re: Help buying dolls????

Post by JanBeth » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Buy high. Sell low. Thats always been my pattern. It has taken me many years to learn how to not get caught up in the hoopla and excitement of the current craze. I am happy to now know exactly what I will love and want to keep. Go to doll shows if you can. It makes a huge difference seeing the dolls in person.
Image

Post Reply