Full body silicone dolls-NECK options?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Miller

Full body silicone dolls-NECK options?

Post by Miller »

Hi ladies,

So im confused about the necks.

I see the ones where the neck is NOT poured in one piece. And that means the head can turn easily side to side. Making it nicely posable when baby is laid on its tummy and head can look sideways.

However i also see an advert for a claire taylor doll today where it saya neck is IN one piece but in the photos thw baby is on its tummy with the head to the side.

How does the head turn to the side when its in one piece neck?

Forgive me if this is obvious, i have no silicones as of yet.
georgeanne

Re: Full body silicone dolls-NECK options?

Post by georgeanne »

This is just my thought since I don't have a Claire Taylor baby or any new silicone baby for that matter, but I think with the new silicone babies being so soft and pliable even with a fixed neck they can turn their head to the side somewhat so the head doesn't have to be separate from the body. I hope that makes sense, that is just my thought from reading about the newer silicone babies. I know someone who is more knowledgeable will come along here shortly and share their expertise.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

Georgeanne is correct :)
A lot of artists have started making their babies using the very soft silicone. I own a Sugar Britches Nursery silicone baby - she's as soft as a marshmallow and her 'skin' feels real. Her head is not a separate piece but she is so soft that her head moves from side to side with no need of a ball joint. Hope that helps! :)
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

Still not a fan of the super soft silicone !! creases may eventually tear. especially the inner elbows and the neck!! and hip joints. The softer it is the more fragile it is!!!
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

Melissas Babies wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:04 am Still not a fan of the super soft silicone !! creases may eventually tear. especially the inner elbows and the neck!! and hip joints. The softer it is the more fragile it is!!!
To be perfectly honest - I'm sure it has a lot do to with the specific grade? I don't know, I'm not an expert. I have had silicones poured in ecoflex 20 and 30 that felt and acted much more fragile (and actually had tears) than my baby who is super soft. The super soft silicone is stretchier than 20 or 30 so you actually have less of a chance of tearing. The main drawback is the sillicone used for the paint and matting are not as stretchy as the silicone the dolls are poured in, thus you do risk cracking the paint and matting layers. I do agree that I am more cautious with her in terms of holding her but that's because she just feels like a real baby. I know that Julie Molloy dolls tend to have boo boos but that's due to her gluing on the separate pieces. Dianna Longo has been using the super soft silicone for a while and have had no issues. So far I am extremely happy with it.
I also feel like since many artists who also work exclusively with silicone are going for the super soft option, makes me think that maybe they've found a grade that isn't fragile? I'm sure they would never want something that breaks down or tears easy as that would ruin their reputation.
Again, I'm not an expert. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Threads

Post by Threads »

I have a silicone with this type of neck, its not a problem just a little softer, as long as its not turned continually I see no problem,