Help! How do I remove stains from vinyl?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
georgeanne

Re: Help! How do I remove stains from vinyl?

Post by georgeanne »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:07 pm
georgeanne wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 am
Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 am
blui wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:37 am

If you have Oxy 5 go for it or if nothing else, Acetone. I really, really hate to recommend that product, for it to be put to a vinyl doll, however if the acne cream is unobtainable for you, a swift wipe of acetone and a quick rinse under water along with soap will help neutralize the effects of the Acetone. I am fairly sure it is ink and at this stage, I am afraid only two things will remove it. Best of luck, keep us updated,
please.
By acetone, do you mean nail polish remover? I have nailpolish remover. I will try to keep you guys updated.
Before you use the Acetone, please try the Oxy first. Use the Acetone only as a last resort.
Ok I will try and get some of the oxy. What does acetone do to vinyl?
Acetone is very harsh and can break down the integrity of the vinyl. I never use it. It can also make the spot you use it on hard or unable to take the paint, so I avoid it like the plague. I know others will come along and tell you it is o.k., and that they have not had any problems, but there is the potential to ruin the doll kit so I don't use it.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Princessdollcollector6417

Post by Princessdollcollector6417 »

Ok I won’t use it then.

Would Salicylic Acid work? Here’s what I have:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 pm Would Salicylic Acid work? Here’s what I have:
I am not sure about Salicylic Acid to be honest, and myself would be hesitant to use it because I have no idea what it will do to the vinyl. I would stick with the Oxy or zapzit or a generic oxy blemish cream, I have used oxy and zapzit and generic blemish cream and the generic worked fine and did not pay that much for it. Slather the areas with the cream and then sit them out in the sun, checking on them periodically. I live in Arizona so it doesn't take long for the Sun here to do the trick and remove all or a lot of the stain so the kit is usable. When you try using something that no one knows about you risk the spots becoming shiny and unable to take the paint so stick with things that others have mentioned first.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
ElizebethM

Post by ElizebethM »

The stains in your photos look similar to the one I had on one of my dolls. This is what I used to remove it from Walmart....Equate Maximum Strength Acne Spot Treatment it's ingredient is 10% benzoyl peroxide. I would think any acne cream with 10% benzoyl peroxide would work.
My doll took several days to completely remove the stain, might have worked faster if it hadn't been winter with no sunny days. Apply the cream and cover with plastic wrap. I agree no acetone. Good Luck.
Hugs
Elizebeth

Custom orders welcome, just pm me.
Website--http://sewsweetboutique.webs.com/
Crocheted items on eBay.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsewQ5fsweetboutique
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

i recently found out that the same stain remover i use for clothing, also works on vinyl, and i was able to remove blue ink which had sat in my daughter's portrait doll for the past three years, almost 100%. its only a tiny shadow left, where it had soaked into the vinyl deeper, but the rest was gone like a blow with the wind.
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk

karinabrandt wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 am i recently found out that the same stain remover i use for clothing, also works on vinyl, and i was able to remove blue ink which had sat in my daughter's portrait doll for the past three years, almost 100%. its only a tiny shadow left, where it had soaked into the vinyl deeper, but the rest was gone like a blow with the wind.
What stain remover is it?
Thanks,
Julie
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:53 am
karinabrandt wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 am i recently found out that the same stain remover i use for clothing, also works on vinyl, and i was able to remove blue ink which had sat in my daughter's portrait doll for the past three years, almost 100%. its only a tiny shadow left, where it had soaked into the vinyl deeper, but the rest was gone like a blow with the wind.
What stain remover is it?
Thanks,
Julie
Karina lives in the Netherlands so I am not sure if the stain remover she uses will be available in the U.S. if that is where you are located. Hopefully she comes along and sees this and will answer. Although, why not just get the Oxy5 or 10 and get the process started to try to remove the stains.

Ok ladies, I went ahead and ordered some oxy 10. It will be here in a few days and I will give it a try.

Ok ladies! The acne cream came today. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen any improvement on the spots :( I have applied 3 times now. I will keep trying. But if it doesn't work I fear I may have to look for a new Libby head. I just wouldn't look right to have her painted with those stains on her face. I don't know what else to do.
Annette

Post by Annette »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:28 pm Ok ladies! The acne cream came today. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen any improvement on the spots :( I have applied 3 times now. I will keep trying. But if it doesn't work I fear I may have to look for a new Libby head. I just wouldn't look right to have her painted with those stains on her face. I don't know what else to do.
It takes time and patience. Leave it in the sun, and keep re-applying the cream. :wink:
Hugs Annette
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Annette it right, it takes time and patience.

Cover the stain with the cream.

Put the head/limb out in the Sun and leave it there all day, check it. If stain is still there the next day, cover the stain with the cream and leave it out in the Sun all day, check it. You have to repeat this process again and again.

marilyn

Post by marilyn »

I've used a product called, OXY Acne Medication -face wash-Maximum action. Oil Free soothing formula.....worked great! Put it on the spot, let it sit overnight and checked,....still slightly there so I wiped it off and reapplied letting it sit overnight. Worked great.
Mikki

Post by Mikki »

I just used my favorite miracle cleaner Mr Clean Eraser on marks and stains on a vintage vinyl baby...love it
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W

ImageHi ladies! I just wanted to give you all a quick update. I’ve been using the acne cream on the spots and have place the head in the sun for a few days now and I’m happy to report the stains are getting lighter. Hopefully after a few more applications of the cream, the stains will be gone. Here’s a picture I took tonight:
B762C5FB-C170-4105-9133-6FB86C687037.jpeg
Thank you for suggesting the cream! I have been trying to have patience. I will update more soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annette

Post by Annette »

Good news. :)
Hugs Annette
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

It's working !
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

That is working really well, I am so glad you are getting such great results. I bet one more application and everything will be completely gone. Well done.

georgeanne wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am That is working really well, I am so glad you are getting such great results. I bet one more application and everything will be completely gone. Well done.
Thanks, Georgeanne! I can't see the one stain on her face the line that was going down by her eyes/cheek but the one on top of her head is still there. It's getting much lighter though. So maybe another application or two should completely get rid of it. Thanks for the tip for the acne cream!
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm
georgeanne wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am That is working really well, I am so glad you are getting such great results. I bet one more application and everything will be completely gone. Well done.
Thanks, Georgeanne! I can't see the one stain on her face the line that was going down by her eyes/cheek but the one on top of her head is still there. It's getting much lighter though. So maybe another application or two should completely get rid of it. Thanks for the tip for the acne cream!
I am glad you decided to go that route, it is pretty much the only thing I found that would remove stains on the vinyl on the occasion that I have had that problem and it is the cheapest as well since the generic stuff works the same as the more expensive stuff.