Shipping expensive doll outside the US? Mark low value as gift?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
MonicaW

Shipping expensive doll outside the US? Mark low value as gift?

Post by MonicaW »

I have a question.

I have had people ask me to ship expensive dolls outside the US and mark the doll low value and as gift.

Aren’t I taking all the risk if I do that?

Would like to hear anyone’s feedback on this.

Thank you.
justfauxbaby

Re: Shipping expensive doll outside the US? Mark low value as gift?

Post by justfauxbaby »

I have done this with people only when they understand that they are assuming all risks of loss of damage.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

justfauxbaby wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:18 am I have done this with people only when they understand that they are assuming all risks of loss of damage.
If a purchase was through Paypal or if the person uses their CC to make a purchase, you are 100% responsible for the assurance that your buyer receives their item. This risk of selling always falls upon the seller. The buyer will receive a full refund if an item is not received. It will then be up to the seller to produce documentation to the PO that the item was shipped and lost in transit. Claims are only given for the value declared. If it was a Paypal or eBay transaction, they will ask for the invoice of the item, leaving you to explain why the value doesn't match. EBay monitors all messages and pulls them up when there is a claim. If you have it in writing that you willfully committed fraud, you could be fined.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Personally, I would never do this for an expensive silicone doll though I have done this for good friends when sending an outfit or something inexpensive. I would only send a silicone overseas if I could fully insure her with tracking for my own protection.
Hugs,
Nadia

MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

Anyone use UPS? Does that make a difference? Heard you can insure full value and they don’t get hit with taxes. Not sure.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

Monica if I know and trust the person. I have no problem lowering the value and marking gift... I always tell them they are responsible if anything goes wrong, but I make sure The doll is very securely packed, and get tracking and signature confirmation. I have requested this from sellers, and ask them to do shipping with tracking, insurance for the value I ask for,
and signature confirmation... I also ask them to make sure my address is correct and the box is very solid and the doll is well packed up. Sometimes that is the only way I can get a doll...
Our dollar is very weak, taxes are 13% plus handling...
The doll should arrive safely if instructions are followed, and I always have to go to the PO..show ID. pay my fees to get my parcels.
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

I sent a reborn to a lady over in the U.K. For a Christmas gift and they still charged her custom fees and she got mad at me. Really hurt my feelings. Marked it as a gift but put the full value on the reborn.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I’ve lost plenty of sales because I refuse to ship a doll that’s not fully insured.
LindaBforbabies

Pebby wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm I sent a reborn to a lady over in the U.K. For a Christmas gift and they still charged her custom fees and she got mad at me. Really hurt my feelings. Marked it as a gift but put the full value on the reborn.
That was her problem and not yours Pebby... You have no control over what happens at the receiving end.
MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

Thanks Ladies! Can always count on you for great advice!
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

LindaBforbabies wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:47 pm
Pebby wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm I sent a reborn to a lady over in the U.K. For a Christmas gift and they still charged her custom fees and she got mad at me. Really hurt my feelings. Marked it as a gift but put the full value on the reborn.
That was her problem and not yours Pebby... You have no control over what happens at the receiving end.
Linda
I know ,she acted very bad about that I don't think I will ever get over it? I would be thrilled to receive something like that. She took all the happiness out of it for me. I sent her Ellie Sue with a beautiful layette
cyndig77

Post by cyndig77 »

I don't ever ship outside the US unless I can fully insure and track the package. I never mark anything as a gift. It is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the customs costs of their country. I have turned down sales because the amount of insurance in that country is below the value of the doll.
MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

Sorry Peggy that happened to you. :( .
Sad when you do something really nice and someone complains.
Just remember that’s on them. One of the things I love about the doll world is I find we all are very much a like. We all are in a sense still like little girls in our hearts when it comes to being loving and kind. 99% of the doll world is amazing! Been on dollfan 20 years. And that’s what I have learned. So never let that one get you down. Big Hugs :grouphug:
Pebby wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:58 pm
Linda
I know ,she acted very bad about that I don't think I will ever get over it? I would be thrilled to receive something like that. She took all the happiness out of it for me. I sent her Ellie Sue with a beautiful layette
LindaBforbabies

Linda
So sorry that happened to you... hugs
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

MonicaW wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:24 pm Sorry Peggy that happened to you. :( .
Sad when you do something really nice and someone complains.
Just remember that’s on them. One of the things I love about the doll world is I find we all are very much a like. We all are in a sense still like little girls in our hearts when it comes to being loving and kind. 99% of the doll world is amazing! Been on dollfan 20 years. And that’s what I have learned. So never let that one get you down. Big Hugs :grouphug:

Linda

Thank you Monica. It was pretty dramatic for me and normally I'm not one to let to much bother me, I have been thru worse in my life but to even spend my money to ship it and insure it was like 80.00 and It seems as thou there was no appreciation, I'm not sure if you mark something as a gift ( which is was) if you put the value on the pkg for insurance reason, evidently International still charges custom fees, I didn't think they would .
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

LindaBforbabies wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:30 pm
Linda
So sorry that happened to you... hugs
Thank you Linda, I appreciate your thoughts.
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Yes, I have done this in the past but now I would never ever do it! Even if you state that the buyer assumes all responsibility, it will still come back on you if there is a claim filed!

For me what soured me for never doing this again was that the buyer turned into a nightmare for other reasons, no shipping claim was needed, but for other reasons she threatened me by saying she would turn me in to the UK authorities for falsifying the value on declarations shipping form (At her Request BTW!) which can be quite the fine to say the least, maybe worse, so I will never do that again!! This lady was a real peach! :banghead:

I've decided that no doll sale is worth getting in trouble over or the stress of shipping without full insurance, especially overseas, which BTW now is a maximum of $5,000 coverage through the USPS and you have to pay for a broker with UPS and I don't even know if Fed-Ex offers high insurance coverage at all! Shipping expensive dolls has become VERY difficult within the US let alone shipping Internationally...….I just don't want to bother with it anymore!! :(
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Linda
She got charged because you valued it for the full price.
Tinneke

Post by Tinneke »

hy Ladies i have read your mails abouth transport an expensive baby out of America for Europe it's dan with a gift or a present or Reparation especialy Belgium we are sending baby to Belgium for the show in Brugge August 25/26 we have to pay TAX and TVA WE SEND A BOX WITH DHL becouse in three days they are in Belgium europe is mad abouth DONALD T and asking now taxes and TVA one box with to babys it cost us € 50 euros for the costum service we still take a low price but not to low becouse the customs found it to low for two babys they take there on value and count tax and TVA for Belgium so each box we have to pay € 50 euro more they consider what to do when you not pay the tax after 30 days they destroy your babys hhhmmm
that's or experiancy with sending or boxes to Europe we declare them for a 80 USD not more even there are two nacket babys insite don't worry with now ancurrancy at all and we live in Mexico so may god bless you all that's or exsperiance with transport to Belgium
Tinneke

Post by Tinneke »

sorry ladies we work with DHL it's expensive but you can following where and when your box is with your client and they have to sign that they resieve your box so you have always a proof even for the courthouse they lose there case that's why we use DHL when this must happend ofcouse or you can proof on doll fan that lady is very bad as a warring for adder not to sale to that woman again