Clay modification of vinyl kits

This is the place for those "technical" computer questions concerning the board, such as avatars, signatures and pictures.
Feel free to test here as well.
ColorMeVinyl

Clay modification of vinyl kits

Post by ColorMeVinyl »

Hello ladies!

I have a desire to modify sculpts using clay as some do for elf ears, vampire teeth, etc.

I am wondering if someone who has experience with this can reply, or someone can point me to someone who will know.

If I am using Air Dry Paints and a very particular painting method using primary color washes, would it be okay if I sculpted my modifications and baked them onto the kit prior to starting my painting? Will it cover well or similiarly?

Also, say I use some on the actual face of the kit. Will I be able to even out the painting or maybe if I get creative it will work out?

Thanks for reading!
HillaryB

Re: Clay modification of vinyl kits

Post by HillaryB »

I have a reborn with fairy ears added. You can see where they attach, even though it's pretty smooth. And they have came away from the vinyl in a couple spots. One if them cracked :( But I am just one person, hopefully others have had better experiences...........
Hillary, reborn artist & collector
Momma to Laila, Jaylee, and Evy
ColorMeVinyl

Re: Clay modification of vinyl kits

Post by ColorMeVinyl »

Thanks for the reply. I did find this http://sandramaxwellstudios.webs.com/do ... torial.pdf

I am unsure of what type of clay to use. I hear sculpey cracks easier. What brand did you use?