What Has Happened To My Kit!!!???? HELP

This is the place for those "technical" computer questions concerning the board, such as avatars, signatures and pictures.
Feel free to test here as well.
Nya_and_babies1230

What Has Happened To My Kit!!!???? HELP

Post by Nya_and_babies1230 »

Hi Ladies. I've been dealing with a problem for a while now. I don't know what's happening to my kit. I don't know if it's my oven. I would just like some help. I'm really struggling to post this because I worked so hard on this baby. So he is the Jordan kit by LTR with mixed limbs. The first matte varnish layer I baked resulted in the vinyl sweating & the matte varnish pooling ALL OVER THE LIMBS. After two more layers of matte varnish this kept happening. My oven is always at 250 degrees (my oven is a little bit hotter than normal) for 8 minutes. I didn't think the vinyl would sweat every single time I baked the kit. It got to the point where I didn't want to risk the kit so I didn't paint for days. I eventually did the texture layer and let it dry overnight just to be safe. The next day I baked the kit with the textured layer praying it wouldn't sweat and pool. When I pulled the kit out of the oven I immediately saw the condensation. When I flipped the kit over I saw the texture POOLING!!! Not to mention I changed the towels to make sure they weren't wet in any way, & I turned the Temperature down. I put a totally different kit in the oven to see if kit would sweat. Guess what, I did. The pooling turned into white spots. I managed to get most of the white off the baby. It just looked like dry skin. I thought I was done. I went to start rooting his head. When I was rooting hair you could see where the hair was coming out from because it was white. I use 46g needles. When I normally root you don't see whiteness. I looked over his head and saw flaky white stuff EVERYWHERE. I immediately panicked and contacted different artists. A artist told me to pounce a light amount of paint thinner over the baby. So I took out all the hairs I rooted :x and pounced him with paint thinner and baked him. I put a oven thermometer inside the oven with the kit. The thermometer was reading 220 degrees. So I took the limbs out, same thing happened sweating vinyl, and pooling. I decided to just put the thermometer in by itself. It read 275 degrees. What the heck was going on? Most of his nail beds have peeled off & it's now worse. Im not touching him anymore but these are the pictures I took tonight.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Kathleens_foreverbabies

Re: What Has Happened To My Kit!!!???? HELP

Post by Kathleens_foreverbabies »

Hi Nya, sweetie~why are you doing so many extra steps that you don't need to be doing? I've been reborning for almost 14 years now and believe me, I don't do anything I've seen you mention! I get my kit and begin the mottling process~when that is done I check to see if I need to do any color correction and that is my next step. Then I begin toning and blushing including coloring the lips, after which I do undertones of blue in specific areas (very subtly) and veining. Last, I paint the brows and do the nails. Occasionally I use a tiny bit of matte varnish if the baby has gotten shiny but that hardly ever happens. I really don't understand why you are doing layers of matte varnish. Are you washing the vinyl before you start painting because it really isn't necessary unless it has gotten dirty somehow. That could cause the vinyl to shine up. Anyway, I'm amazed that you are doing this at such a young age~kudos to you :headspin: ! If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to PM me, hugs, Kathleen
[/img]Image
TinaDolly

Post by TinaDolly »

If this is of any help, I only use the matte varnish in the first layer of skin tone and only a little. You don't need a lot. I think perhaps you are putting too much matte varnish. It should be watered down when applying which is why I add it to my first skin tone Flesh 08 or 07. I hope this helps!
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

I think 3 layers of matte varnish is too much!
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

Are you adding paint thinner to your matte finish? You have to pounce it on the vinyl with a brush and then take a sponge(cosmetic wedge) and pounce it into the vinyl.
Nya_and_babies1230

TinaDolly wrote:If this is of any help, I only use the matte varnish in the first layer of skin tone and only a little. You don't need a lot. I think perhaps you are putting too much matte varnish. It should be watered down when applying which is why I add it to my first skin tone Flesh 08 or 07. I hope this helps!

Well he was a stripped kit and was shiny so I needed to use this much. They layers were so thin though.
Nya_and_babies1230

Pebby wrote:Are you adding paint thinner to your matte finish? You have to pounce it on the vinyl with a brush and then take a sponge(cosmetic wedge) and pounce it into the vinyl.
Yes that's what I've been doing for a year now :oops:
Nya_and_babies1230

jubileej wrote:I think 3 layers of matte varnish is too much!

He was a stripped kit and he was shiny. So I had to use that much.
Sis

Post by Sis »

Hi Nya! I'm so sorry this is happening to you...how frustrating! I have had the same exact thing happen to myself before, but there wasn't quite that much whiteness on the baby. In my case, I was thinning the Matte down way too much, and consequently, I got that dry skin, flaky effect. The same thing happened when I didn't thin it out enough. It's a very fine line to walk.

Another idea: Make sure you let your thinner evaporate all the way before baking. Then, you can VERY VERY gently brush off the chalky whiteness on the baby's skin before you bake it. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.

Also, I think 3 layers of matte is a bit much. I only do one layer of matte at the very end when I'm done painting. And sometimes, if the kit is very oily or greasy (Ashton Drake dolls, for instance) I'll do one layer before I paint, but it will be a thicker, more concentrated layer.

I hope you are able to figure something out...he's such a beautiful baby!
gailcarey

Post by gailcarey »

Try putting a layer of Genesis glazing gel or Satin Varnish, or a mixture of both all over it and then bake. Put it on with a brush right out of the jar and then pounce it with your sponge. Bake for 10 minutes at 225. If you're oven is too hot make sure you put the oven thermometer in first to get the right temp. Don't forget to turn all parts over and bake the other side after 5 minutes. Good luck. Very nice work.
Judith19

Post by Judith19 »

I have to agree that too much matte varnish is being used~~~I use the smallest amount of paint possible and use the matte sparingly and only when there is a shiny spot I want to correct~~~~~ :heart: :heart:
AZRAYA $350.00 SOLD