Not being treated fairly...

This is the place for those "technical" computer questions concerning the board, such as avatars, signatures and pictures.
Feel free to test here as well.
Nya_and_babies1230

Not being treated fairly...

Post by Nya_and_babies1230 »

I'm so done with not being treated fairly because i'm a minor. People think I'm some immature little girl that would scam someone instead of being truthful. I realize that I just turned 12 a few days ago. It really hurts me when people don't trust me, or tell me my "Mommy" needs to talk with them. I run my business perfectly fine on my own but nobody understands that. I just want someone to take me seriously. Someone was wanting to do a trade with kits. I offered the kit she wanted but she didn't want to trade because I am a minor. I understand why someone could be skeptical about trading with a minor. I was scammed $140 for trading a kit. So i'm skeptical with trading, but I trust a lot of people here on Doll-Fan. So when people think I'm the scammer it hurts. I just want people to understand that not everyone is the same.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Taylor_Dolls Become Babies

Re: Not being treated fairly...

Post by Taylor_Dolls Become Babies »

I believe, to a certain extent, all minors are treated differently than the non-minor members on here. Myself being a minor as well, I have experienced this type of situation. It's unfortunate, however it's the name of the game when the vast majority of the members here are adults (18+). Hopefully one day, members on here will treat the minors with the same respect they would treat other non-minor members. :roll:
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

Both of you state in your siggy that you will have an adult oversee your transactions so I don't know why either one of you would have a problem with someone requesting to talk with said adult.
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

It's just the way it is. I was a minor on here (member since age 13, now age 20), and I knew that some members might not feel comfortable dealing with me being a minor. It's their choice and it can be frustrating, but you need to respect that. Buyers need to protect themselves and by asking to talk to a minors guardian they are doing so. It has nothing to do with you personally.
Baby hugs,
Danielle

PS. If you need any yarn or fabric please let me know. I have too much!!!!
ShannonZaNightOwl

Post by ShannonZaNightOwl »

This is a business where we handle very expensive things. Despite the fact that you are probably very talented you are much too young to run a business. You cannot even get a job until you are 15 or 16. I have a daughter who is about to turn 13 in April and I would not expect her to be able to run a business. I think you should be a kid as long as you can. Soon enough it will be time to grow up. Until then if you want to do business with an adult you will have to accept that they feel much more comfortable dealing with an adult. In addition, have the people you have done business with to leave good feedback for you. That can only help your position that you are trustworthy.

Shannon Hardin
Night Owl Nursery
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I agree with Shannon. I have a 12 year old niece and there is no way her mom would ever allow her to run any business. While she is very computer literate she is only a child. Personally I would not do business with a minor and believe that one should be 18 to be a member of a forum that deals in the selling of pricey items. Even on facebook doll selling groups, most people state that they do not sell to minors.
Hugs,
Nadia

Nya_and_babies1230

ShannonZaNightOwl wrote:This is a business where we handle very expensive things. Despite the fact that you are probably very talented you are much too young to run a business. You cannot even get a job until you are 15 or 16. I have a daughter who is about to turn 13 in April and I would not expect her to be able to run a business. I think you should be a kid as long as you can. Soon enough it will be time to grow up. Until then if you want to do business with an adult you will have to accept that they feel much more comfortable dealing with an adult. In addition, have the people you have done business with to leave good feedback for you. That can only help your position that you are trustworthy.
Shannon,
Hi, this is Nya's mom, Catherine. Thanks for your concern and I also agree that every child should be a child for as long as possible which Nya is. This is her passion and hobby and I support her 100%. This experience has been great as it teaches her the importance of a dollar and how hard she had to work to earn it. Her job consists of her sitting at a table painting and getting up to put it in the oven. I'm not sure how this differs from other kids crafting or playing a sport. All tranactions are done through my paypal and I mail off the reborns. She has been able to purchase a Mac Book Pro, the iphone 6s plus, cannon 3ti camera, cannon accessories and many other luxuries she wouldn't normally have. She purchases all her own supplies from multiple websites. I have nothing to do with her painting and selling and I'm not sure why anyone would discourage their child from pursuing their passion. When Nya decides she no longer wants to paint, she will stop. She is extremely talented especially for a child her age and I would never take that from her. This is not an expectation I put on Nya. She has create her own business without the help of anyone. She advertises on instagram as well as in public. She also runs her own youtube channel and manages her instagram reborn account. I actually admire her entrepreneurial spirit! I also understand that many wouldn't want to do business with a minor which is why I am around when I need to get involved. Nya was scammed out of over $140 by someone so we understand why some feel the way they do. I am close by when needed for questions. :) Thanks!
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Nya's grandmother is also a Doll fan member! Whom is a wonderful lady if I must say so myself! Nya has purchased items from me and paid immediately!
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Nya, sorry but by the law a minor cannot enter in a contract in any way. Which means that if anything goes wrong in a transaction with you the other party has no legal standing to recoup any of their losses. You sound very responsible for a 12 years old but you also need to understand that people are wary of dealing with minors because there have been instances in which minors haven't held up their side of the deal. Technically you couldn't even have an account on DF or FB or other social media and forums before the age of 13. Sorry if I sound jaded but I have a 13 year old son, so take it as a lecture from another mama. ;)
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Elisabettas Babies wrote:Nya, sorry but by the law a minor cannot enter in a contract in any way. Which means that if anything goes wrong in a transaction with you the other party has no legal standing to recoup any of their losses. You sound very responsible for a 12 years old but you also need to understand that people are wary of dealing with minors because there have been instances in which minors haven't held up their side of the deal. Technically you couldn't even have an account on DF or FB or other social media and forums before the age of 13. Sorry if I sound jaded but I have a 13 year old son, so take it as a lecture from another mama. ;)
This.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Taylor_Dolls Become Babies wrote:I believe, to a certain extent, all minors are treated differently than the non-minor members on here. Myself being a minor as well, I have experienced this type of situation. It's unfortunate, however it's the name of the game when the vast majority of the members here are adults (18+). Hopefully one day, members on here will treat the minors with the same respect they would treat other non-minor members. :roll:
There is a reason you had trouble.
A legitimate reason :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

I think it is great that you are doing this art. I rather see you creating these babies then getting into trouble and creating real babies. So I hope you do stay in it and grow. I dont think anyone is being disrespectful towards minors. The fact is that minors can not legally enter into contracts. So if something was to go wrong there would be no legal way to fix it. That is the main reason that most will not deal with minors. Now that being said. I am an artist and I do work with minors after speaking to their parents. I would ask to speak to your parent until you were 18 years of age. It is respectful to your Mom that I do so. It is not to be disrespectful to you. Once me and the parent had our conversation I would conduct business with you.
deannea

Post by deannea »

Elisabettas Babies wrote:Nya, sorry but by the law a minor cannot enter in a contract in any way. Which means that if anything goes wrong in a transaction with you the other party has no legal standing to recoup any of their losses. You sound very responsible for a 12 years old but you also need to understand that people are wary of dealing with minors because there have been instances in which minors haven't held up their side of the deal. Technically you couldn't even have an account on DF or FB or other social media and forums before the age of 13. Sorry if I sound jaded but I have a 13 year old son, so take it as a lecture from another mama. ;)
This is why I said no to a trade. It is nothing personal. I did not say anything to you about your mom, nor make any comments other than saying no to trade.
Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa

Post by Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa »

You seem like a lovely girl Nya, but you yourself say in your signature that you have a guardian overseeing your transactions. So of course someone wishing to enter a transaction with you should be able to communicate with your mommy.
A child can not enter a legal contract. Dolls and supplies can be very expensive. I understand why people reserve the right to refuse to sell to children. People reserve the right not to sell overseas. This is a pricey hobby and if someone is not comfortable doing business a certain way it needs to be respected. You were not being bashed nor called a scammer.
I have a 19, 17, 10 and 8 year old so I do know kids :D
I did not allow my oldest girl to babysit nor shop until she was 13 or 14. She was not able to get a job until 16.
It is also a protection for you dear. You were cheated out of a lot of money. As a mother I would want to be looking out to make sure you were not mistreated.

As for the age restriction and this forum...yes. As a long standing member I never liked the idea of children being able to read OT. A lot of personal adult themes on there. I solved that problem for myself by not using the OT forum. It also has become apparent in recent years there are privacy issues with the Internet
I monitor and read everything my children do.

As for the woman who did not trade with you...she is lovely and a member here before you were born. She never called you a scammer. She reserved the right not to sell to you and was polite.

Perhaps your mother can join and do your transactions. Or your grandma if she is a member.

Danielle...you have grown up into a nice young woman and glad you stuck around. :foryou: i would enjoy meeting you again.

Taylor your response regarding respect and eye roll is just rude.

Good luck in your dolly endeavours Nya. I do find it refreshing a young girl who still enjoys dolls. Kids grow up too fast.
Nya_and_babies1230

deannea wrote:
This is why I said no to a trade. It is nothing personal. I did not say anything to you about your mom, nor make any comments other than saying no to trade.
Oh I wasn't directing this to a particular person. I didn't say that you had said anything about my mom. It's totally fine to say no to a trade as I say no as well when people want to trade with me. All transactions are done through my mom's paypal so no actual transaction is done with a minor. My mom is my signature for my DF account. Thank you.

As Nya's mom I completely understand not wanting to complete a transaction with a minor. Unfortunately, this is how it goes with minors. :) No hard feelings towards anyone. Just a frustrated minor. it is what it is though. ~ Catherine
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Nya_and_babies1230 wrote:
deannea wrote:
Oh I wasn't directing this to a particular person. I didn't say that you had said anything about my mom. It's totally fine to say no to a trade as I say no as well when people want to trade with me. All transactions are done through my mom's paypal so no actual transaction is done with a minor. My mom is my signature for my DF account. Thank you.

As Nya's mom I completely understand not wanting to complete a transaction with a minor. Unfortunately, this is how it goes with minors. :) No hard feelings towards anyone. Just a frustrated minor. it is what it is though. ~ Catherine
Let me explain you better: it doesn't matter if the Paypal account is your mom's. If for any reason there was a dispute and Paypal found out that you were the one actually using the account there would be no legal recourse. In layman's terms: if Paypal finds out that you are the one using the account that transaction is not covered under their protection. I read about it some time ago when somebody sold a doll, and after mailing it the buyer claimed that she had left her paypal account logged in and her minor daughter bought and paid for the doll without permission. The seller was out the doll and the money because paypal refunded but the seller's protection was null and void being a minor involved.
With all the respect in the world I wouldn't want to be put in that situation.

When I was your age I entered one of those "book of the month" clubs; it dates me pretty well the fact that you probably don't even know what I'm talking about, but it was a mail in subscription to books,you had a sweet deal of 3 books for $8 in the beginning and then a monthly delivery with the right to refuse it and send it back. I being a bookworm wanted those three affordable books and signed up in my grandmother's name. Little I knew that soon the company would start sending over books I never ordered or outright refused! It took my mom all of a phone call to stop everything, just explaining them that the subscriber was actually... 12 years old me. The company couldn't even claim the money for the books they sent, because being me a minor the contract was null and void. Hope this explains you better how it goes.
Nya_and_babies1230

Elisabettas Babies wrote:
Nya_and_babies1230 wrote:
deannea wrote:

Let me explain you better: it doesn't matter if the Paypal account is your mom's. If for any reason there was a dispute and Paypal found out that you were the one actually using the account there would be no legal recourse. In layman's terms: if Paypal finds out that you are the one using the account that transaction is not covered under their protection. I read about it some time ago when somebody sold a doll, and after mailing it the buyer claimed that she had left her paypal account logged in and her minor daughter bought and paid for the doll without permission. The seller was out the doll and the money because paypal refunded but the seller's protection was null and void being a minor involved.
With all the respect in the world I wouldn't want to be put in that situation.

When I was your age I entered one of those "book of the month" clubs; it dates me pretty well the fact that you probably don't even know what I'm talking about, but it was a mail in subscription to books,you had a sweet deal of 3 books for $8 in the beginning and then a monthly delivery with the right to refuse it and send it back. I being a bookworm wanted those three affordable books and signed up in my grandmother's name. Little I knew that soon the company would start sending over books I never ordered or outright refused! It took my mom all of a phone call to stop everything, just explaining them that the subscriber was actually... 12 years old me. The company couldn't even claim the money for the books they sent, because being me a minor the contract was null and void. Hope this explains you better how it goes.
This is Nya's mom again. She doesn't need any explanation. I run my paypal and I am the one buying and selling. She always asks permission and there has never been a dispute with any of the dolls Nya has bought or sold. If there was I would know about it and take care of it. A 12 yr old today is not like a 12 yr old in the 80's/90's when I was 12. She is much more mature than the typical 12 yr old.
We are all aware of the laws concerning minors. she is just a typical frustrated girl that happens to run her own business. we also sell on ebay. never had a problem. the account is under myself. I allow my daughter to sell her custom creations and the only way to do it is through my paypal, ebay, FB and instagram account. ~Catherine
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Isn't she innocent until proven guilty? I don't understand. If Nya is doing a trade, but she is not of legal age, it is her parent who is legally responsible, so it is her parent who is under contract. Therefore, a seller is protected. If Nya goes to a store alone and purchases something she is entering into a type of contract (my money for your goods), but if there is a problem from that sale it is her parent who becomes legally responsible. I'll admit I don't know all the details. Have there been problems with Nya before (not other minors). Also, this is a trade, not a sale. So if Nya first sends the doll she is trading and the "tradee" receives it and then sends the doll she is trading for it seems all would be well.
I don't have a business license for my reborning and neither does she. It just sounds like she is a responsible young person with a mother who cares and watches what she does. I would have no hesitation doing a trade or buying something from her.
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

I think at this point we all understand. If you want to do business with Nya do, if you don't, don't.... that's all it boils down too and she has not done anything wrong...... :wink: My 2 cents...
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

:toast:
Suzanne wrote:I think at this point we all understand. If you want to do business with Nya do, if you don't, don't.... that's all it boils down too and she has not done anything wrong...... :wink: My 2 cents...
Baby hugs,
Danielle

PS. If you need any yarn or fabric please let me know. I have too much!!!!