I need advice on removing.....

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Geri

I need advice on removing.....

Post by Geri »

Cigarette smoke from a reborn. I received one in a trade and it was a Don't ask, don't tell trade. I didn't ask and they didn't tell! I removed the body and trashed it and have aired the vinyl parts outside for days, in a strong wind. It hasn't helped. It has rooted hair and I didn't remove any of the weighting materials. It was supposed to be a doll for a friend but I can't ask her to take it with it smelling of smoke. So, if I can't find a way to fix it I will just have to suffer the loss. I hope this doesn't offend any smokers, I don't mean to do that, I just need help!!
ttulsajess

Re: I need advice on removing.....

Post by ttulsajess »

Spray it with extra strength frebreeze inside and out and let it air out. You'll notice a difference in the smell almost immediately. After it dries, do it again and so on and so forth until the smell is gone. Wash the parts inside and out, then frebreeze again and wash again one last time. I've done it to a reborn that had hair and everything and the smell is completely gone.
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Geri, I got a couple babies like this before. One was a not very strong in smell and after a few months of airing out, she was better, if not mostly smoke free. You had to really sniff her to smell it. On the other hand, the other baby I got was not a reborn but factory, and she absolutely reeked!! All I did was open the box and was appauled how strong the smell was. I totall took the doll apart and soaked in Dawn, scrubbed it down, and wiped with alcohol. I think I did this a couple of times just to make sure to get the tar and stuff off. I would say if the insides smell, they need redone because if not, you will never get rid of the smell. I had a Katie I had to figure out to get all the polyfil that is stuffed in the limbs. That was a chore! But, the polyfil was harboring a lot of the smell and the pieces are so much better. I now you can't soak this doll maybe, but depending on what paint is used, maybe you can find a way to clean the vinyl somehow to remove the tars and stuff that are probably on it. Cleaning it well will help it to lighten up. I've also heard people say to seal the doll in with dryer sheets (like a tote or plastic ziploc bag). Also read sealing w/a bowl of vinegar will help do the trick, but I'd be careful it won't get spilled. Says do that for a few days or a week. Wish there was a really easy way, but that stuff is hard to get out. I always ask now if there is any hint of cig. smoke, bc since I had my kids I'm almost hyper-sensitive to it. Hope I helped and you will be able to give your friend their baby!
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Wow, that works that well? That is great, thanks for the tip :)
ttulsajess

Post by ttulsajess »

It worked well for me. I've only done it once though. It may not work with every doll. I don't know. It was a reborn that was done with genesis paints that I used it on. It had loads of hair and I sprayed the hair too. Still smoke free.
Brendas Babies

Post by Brendas Babies »

Twin pines sells a cleaner called destinker for dolls. Also you can put her in a bag wth safegaurd soap and that helps some.if you can soak the parts, you can soak them in Oxyclean, that also helps.
Sweet Quinny by Nikki!
Geri

Post by Geri »

Well, these are some good ideas, I will see what I can do. The doll is really cute so I would like to save her. I'll let you girls know how it goes.

Thanks!!!
Beth

Post by Beth »

Try Skin so soft by Avon it soaks into the vinyl. But you have to do it everyday for a week or more.
Keep the doll parts in something air tight then wash in dawn like you normally would.
But you do have to pour some in the limbs then pour back into the bottle you want it on the inside as well as the out side. And it doesn't hurt the mohair.
Hugs,
Beth
Geri

Post by Geri »

Thank Beth!!
ttulsajess

Post by ttulsajess »

Any updates?
Geri

Post by Geri »

I haven't gotten to do anything yet, I've been trying to finish a reborn for a lady. I plan to do something to the smoked baby tomorrow!
Beth

Post by Beth »

Geri I have found that is really the only thing that works. But you have to do it for a while
it's like this that smoke is soaked into the vinyl that is why you need something that soaks in as well.
Hugs,
Beth
Beth

Post by Beth »

Hugs,
Beth
Geri

Post by Geri »

I was really hoping to clear up the smell without having to repaint the doll. I have one just like it and it's beginning to sound like I would spend less time just reborning the new one. I know I couldn't use the bleach method they mentioned, it would ruin the hair, which I guess is what I was really trying to save, there's not much paint on the doll.

Thanks for the help.
Beth

Post by Beth »

Geri if you use skin so soft you wouldn't have to repaint or re-root but only if the doll is painted
with the GHSP.
Hugs,
Beth
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

There is a product sold in sporting good stores, I think it is called stinkbegone it is for stinky sports gear.
My cat had the poppies and made a mess on my off white carpet.
The smell was so bad I couldn't go near the room.
I remembered I had bought this for hubby's hockey gear, spritzed directly over the mess liberally within minutes the oder was down 75% enough to clean the mess.
Used oxyclean for stain and that worked but I could still sightly smell it.
Another good spritz of the area it was totally and forever gone!
This stuff is magic, some milk leaked in the car ( middle of summer)
And it freaked used it again,viola gone.
Maybe spray the body liberally,hair too. Then put in bag or sealed tote with a cloth spayed well with this stuff.
It was not expensive, clear, and gets rid of the Odour not cover it with perfumery.
It is also non toxic it is meant to be sprayed directly on items worn next to the skin.
Desma

Post by Desma »

I am so sorry about your kitty having the poopies. I know that there are all kinds of products out there. I buy a citrus cleaner that is very very strong from the automotive section in Walmart. It comes in an orange bottle and boy does it remove stains and it also has a smell to it that covers a lot of stinkiness. I have four cats and three dogs so you can imagine that I have to vacuum everyday and use lint rollers. We just got a new pet proof carpet installed and so far, the animal kids have been behaving them selves. We waited until our youngest puppy was completely potty trained before we got the new carpet.
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

Kitty got poppies because hubby left the kitty treats out and the little monster found them and ate the whole lot!
Desma

Post by Desma »

If you want a chuckle and any consolation, our puppy Bruno, a 7 month old pomchi, he farts constantly! He is the stinkiest dog I have ever known or had. None of our other dogs fart like he does. He is given a good diet too. We don't buy cheap dog food etc. It just must be him and he will grow out of it. Should have named him Pepe Le Pu! He is a sweetie though. His stinky farts are overruled by his great personality and intelligence.