Paint mixing question girls!

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Lisa L

Paint mixing question girls!

Post by Lisa L »

Hi ladies! :hi ya: Does anyone know how to mix Genesis to make Yellow Ochre? Also what is the difference between Mars Black and Carbon Black? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: Thanks in advance! Big Hugs, Lisa
milliemoos

Re: Paint mixing question girls!

Post by milliemoos »

I don't have the answer (raw sienna is almost the same as yellow ochre btw) but I was reading a brilliant website the other day which explained all about colours

It said to ditch black and white (I think mars is the blackest black) and the Impressionists didnt use black. If you add black to a colour, rather than darken it, it makes it murky. If you add white it reduces brightness and makes the colour less vibrant and makes it more opaque. It suggested mixing other colours in place of these 2 colours to achieve the shade you need (and THAT is the hard bit!!)
Eg to lighten red add some yellow (or zinc white which is not as bright as titanium white)

Fascinating though! I'd love to read more about colour mixing if anyone has any good links
Lisa L

Post by Lisa L »

WOW!!! That makes perfect sense! Thank you SO much for that! I do have Raw Sienna but I have never purchased the Yellow Ochre. Is the Ochre a little lighter, ya think? What wonderful tips! Thanks so much! Big Hugs to you! Lisa
Finea-Lulinas

Post by Finea-Lulinas »

Look at this thread, ladies - here you also find a link to Genesis Color Mixing chart
caroline Anne

Post by caroline Anne »

Hmmmm, I couldn't make that colour from the chart, so I ended up buying that one. Here's the chart though..

http://www.clayalley.com/genchart.htm
milliemoos

Post by milliemoos »

Lisa L wrote:WOW!!! That makes perfect sense! Thank you SO much for that! I do have Raw Sienna but I have never purchased the Yellow Ochre. Is the Ochre a little lighter, ya think? What wonderful tips! Thanks so much! Big Hugs to you! Lisa
I use raw sienna in preference to yellow ochre. A few light coats seems to add a lovely skin tone at the end.
The ochre is a tad lighter but I find the raw sienna works better with the colours I use. I do now have some yellow ochre but don't use it routinely (maybe because I am not used to it and it makes it a bit yellowy?)
haskinsheavenlybabies

Post by haskinsheavenlybabies »

yellow ochre looks like a "burnt yellow" almost like maybe it might have some orange and brown mixed in it. KWIM?
caroline Anne

Post by caroline Anne »

I love love love yellow ochre. Unless it's going to be a fair baby, I usually mix a dab of it in with flesh 07 near the end of painting. Gives a lovely warm glow to the skin tone I find. I did straight yellow ochre washes on my first reborn, & I mean lots of them, & he looked a bit jaundiced though! :lol:
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

Yellow ochre can be mixed by using genesis yellow, burnt umber, and red. I can't remember the exact ratio but I think it is 2:1:1
Finea-Lulinas

Post by Finea-Lulinas »

Finea-Lulinas wrote:Look at this thread, ladies - here you also find a link to Genesis Color Mixing chart

Sorry - I forgot to put the link last night - guess it was too late .... :trout:

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... t#p1896671
yasminao007

Post by yasminao007 »

The ocrer is a color that contains the basics of the palette, its a base in yellow, some red and some blue. Depending on the tone you want to get, just add more or less of one of the three. If you want to darken it uses an ultramarine blue (and maybe a little red), and to brighten it, the yellow. If you add red, keep in mind that it will quickly tend to pink. As far as possible I recommend that you avoid black, you know that it is a color that "dirty" the colors and its effect on the brightness of the color is almost irreversible