How to professionally paint silicones & full materials list!

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
medici

Re: How to professionally paint silicones & full materials l

Post by medici »

I wonder that too?

I have just used the icing sugar, and it works great (I used icing sugar on my Joey signature baby). But my enquiring mind wants to try matting powder too one day, due to being curious as to any possible differences. I love different trying different materials and testing boundaries :lol:

Hugs

Anne
LHargreaves

Post by LHargreaves »

medici wrote:I wonder that too?

I have just used the icing sugar, and it works great (I used icing sugar on my Joey signature baby). But my enquiring mind wants to try matting powder too one day, due to being curious as to any possible differences. I love different trying different materials and testing boundaries :lol:

Hugs

Anne

Did you use genesis on him?
Than silicone seALER?
medici

Post by medici »

Not exactly. I used Silicone paint base and used genesis as the pigments. I used Mona Lisa thinner. I kept the paint pretty thinned. I painted many layers and cured between each and every layer (it takes a long time but curing in the oven cuts down the time a bit). Time consuming, but worth it.
When the paintwork was completed, the baby was sealed with clear (thinned) paint base and cured. Then sealed/matted for that last layer. I am very happy with the method I used and will continue doing my babies this way. I am eternally grateful for the tutorials (Wendy's, Donna Lee's and Nicoles reborn tutorial too :) :heart: )

Hugs

Anne
footprintsbabiesMay

Post by footprintsbabiesMay »

I just was reading here and I am not a doll maker by any means BUT I am not sure I want food, particularly sugar on my dolls. These dolls are expensive and I would rather have the artist spend a few extra dollars to get the appropriate items than use powdered sugar. I hope that does not offend anyone. It is just my opinion.
medici

Post by medici »

The matting sugar is washed off when the silicone is cured leaving it matte. There is NO residue left on the baby. That would be the same if you use the factory sealer. No matting agent is left on the baby what ever method you are using. If there were, the icing sugar would carry no health hazard except making them extra sweet 8) :lol:
medici

Post by medici »

For me it is NOT about a few extra dollars because if it ever were I would never collect babies in the first place. And Yes; I am actually VERY upset that you indicate this AT all. For me and others it is all about what works and how to make the most beautiful painted.
footprintsbabiesMay

medici wrote:For me it is NOT about a few extra dollars because if it ever were I would never collect babies in the first place. And Yes; I am actually VERY upset that you indicate this AT all. For me and others it is all about what works and how to make the most beautiful painted.
So sorry to upset you over a statement that I made Medici. :dunno: I am just giving my opinion like you are giving yours. I personally would not want sugar on my babies. I realize sugar is not a health hazard however, the first thing I thought about was bugs or other animals/insects being attracted to it because of the residue or smell. I mean really - am I the only person who thought of that?
For me (and others) I have seen many a non shiney baby and I am sure all the artists are not using sugar. I have actually just emailed a few to ask as I would like to know. I dont' see any artists posting on this except one (not that I know everyone so forgive me if I miss someone). So to me the products made for the silicone do work too. It is unfair for you to state otherwise.
LHargreaves

Post by LHargreaves »

I am guessing that the sugar only causes a matting reaction and then is washed of thoroughly. I don''t see how it would stay on the baby if it is washed properly. My reason for asking though is more of a "Does it last as long as the other or does it wear off and get shiney again?"
CuteAsAPixie_Terri

Post by CuteAsAPixie_Terri »

Anne, Would you post some photos of your baby done with that method. I would love to see them...
Terri
Hubby and me and our 3 grand babies, Leah, Lejla and Patrick
Cute As A Pixie Nursery
medici

Post by medici »

I have made no statements. On the contrary reading your "I would rather have the artist spend a few extra dollars to get the appropriate items than use powdered sugar" was both a statement and an assumption. And for the artists I know of; entirely untrue.

LH: you are completely correct. There is no residue what so ever. Like there is no residue from the other matting agent.

It is not the first time May has made this statement, but the other times I have ignored it and based it on her lack of knowledge.

Terri; my signature baby was painted this way; as was my LM:

As for me: I totally trust Wendy Dickison who wrote the tutorial. She is a professional artist who has sculpted as well as made her silicone babies for many years now.

Hugs

Anne

Not many artists has posted on any tutorial threads about silicone painting
footprintsbabiesMay

medici wrote:It is not the first time May has made this statement, but the other times I have ignored it and based it on her lack of knowledge
AS a doll lover trying to join in on a doll board that is really rude. Not the first time I made this statement?????My lack of knowledge????what the hell are you talking about.

I agree I don't have alot of knowledge I just saw this post at the top of the "new posts" page and asked a question and made a statement about it. WE all have likes and dislikes when it comes to dolls. Medici, I am not sure why I am not allowed to have a question or a statement. The first thing you said was directed to me about upsetting you. Upsetting you over a doll post. Where I was just making a statement. I wa shocked that my statment about food, dolls whatever would 'upset you'. I am ALLOWED to say I don't want food items on my dolls. Doesn't mean it is wrong or right and should not upset anyone. I have read posts on here where mice gnawed at peoples silicone dolls. When I saw this post about sugar I immediately thought of that. BADME. Good grief.
I am an older lady who enjoys dolls and enjoys coming here.
You are saying how miuch you love to add powdered sugar to your dolls ...I am just questioning why? AT first before you were so rude to me I thought you dusted them with powdered sugar like baby powder. Now I understand that you wash it off...I still would rather not have sugar on my dolls. JUST MY OPINOINS jeez!
medici

Post by medici »

"e="footprintsbabiesMay"]
medici wrote:It is not the first time May has made this statement, but the other times I have ignored it and based it on her lack of knowledge
AS a doll lover trying to join in on a doll board that is really rude. Not the first time I made this statement?????My lack of knowledge????what the hell are you talking about.

I agree I don't have alot of knowledge I just saw this post at the top of the "new posts" page and asked a question and made a statement about it. WE all have likes and dislikes when it comes to dolls. Medici, I am not sure why I am not allowed to have a question or a statement. The first thing you said was directed to me about upsetting you. Upsetting you over a doll post. Where I was just making a statement. I wa shocked that my statment about food, dolls whatever would 'upset you'. I am ALLOWED to say I don't want food items on my dolls. Doesn't mean it is wrong or right and should not upset anyone. I have read posts on here where mice gnawed at peoples silicone dolls. When I saw this post about sugar I immediately thought of that. BADME. Good grief.
I am an older lady who enjoys dolls and enjoys coming here.
You are saying how miuch you love to add powdered sugar to your dolls ...I am just questioning why? AT first before you were so rude to me I thought you dusted them with powdered sugar like baby powder. Now I understand that you wash it off...I still would rather not have sugar on my dolls. JUST MY OPINOINS jeez!
[/quote]

Rude? I am seldom very rude to anyone, and hope I am not perceived that way.

This is what Wendy writes in her tutorial;

There is a difference in these two materials as the first, powdered sugar, is non toxic and leaves the finished baby just a tad lighter after sealing but much much safer and WAY easier to use. The Cabosil is trickier to apply and toxic as it is finely powdered glass and easily inhaled and stays in the air for awhile. The only benefits to Cabosil is that it leaves your pieces not quite as light and the tone is ever so slightly blue tinted and a bit easier to get a thin coat of matting powder. The draw back is that it takes FOREVER- no joke- to rinse the pieces clean of the Cabosil and it also is very much more difficult to apply than powdered sugar. It takes quite a bit of force and quite a few washings to get that Cabosil powder off of the cured pieces. Very slight difference in both products but I prefer Cabosil but do use powdered sugar a.k.a. factory matting powder.

Of course any residue from matting is washed off; be it powdered glass or powdered sugar.

Secondly she writes this;

the special matting powder thatfacturers is actually POWDERED SUGAR!!!!!!

No: I am not a "silicone artist" nor a reborner. But I believe that Wendy is???

Anne

Edited to add; Firstly I had the impression that it is not a process you are familiar with so therefor I wrote lack of knowledge (about the silicone painting process). I am sorry if I was unclear as to what I referred to.
I do not understand this either "AS a doll lover trying to join in on a doll board ". I have been a member I think, for several years (had a lapse of membership that i let run out). I think I became a member in -05?
LHargreaves

Post by LHargreaves »

I just got my fusefx paints and OMG are they ever the tiniest most expensive thng i have ever bought!!!
footprintsbabiesMay

I bet those tiny tiny paints were very expensive too!

Medici, May I ask what you mean when you say this?
medici wrote:
It is not the first time May has made this statement, but the other times I have ignored it and based it on her lack of knowledge

I am not sure what statement I have made other times but you have ignored? I would love to know what I am saying that might come off as offending and you would ignore it? Just curious.

It is great Medici that you have been a member since '05. I have collected dolls for many years. Mostly HImstedts. I can't remember when I joined in here. Maybe last year. I am an avid gardener as well and participated in so many local groups I didn't get on the computer much. Now I do enjoy it a bit and I love seeing and talking to other doll lovers. There are not a whole bunch of them in my area.
medici

Post by medici »

:dunno: I will not get into a fight over this. As of what age has to do with anything, I fail to see.

I have never; nor will I swear on a public board.

I seem to remember you making this statement before; if I am wrong I apologize.

My babies were painted with Smooth on silicone paint base part A and part B.

I doubt if the baby gnawed on by mice was matted (not sprinkled nor dusted) by Powdered sugar, but that you will have to ask either the owner of maker of the baby

And that, dear May, is all I have to say on the matter. I think Wendy explained pretty good in her tutorial, but maybe you did not read it?

Anne
LHargreaves

Post by LHargreaves »

MIce will eat anything even if it tastes bad...they are nasty critters...Heck i am worried about my one cat chewing fingers off because she has a bad habit of chewing anything plastic..Wires etc. I am going to try the powdered sugar as i do not want glass particals in my air. I bet it works fine:) Heck i'll even taste the doll and let y'all know if she is sweet...lol :rofl: I was so excited when i saw this thread and this technique...such a relief. I love your baby Joey!!!!! :heart: who is he??? :heart:
medici

Post by medici »

LHargreaves wrote:MIce will eat anything even if it tastes bad...they are nasty critters...Heck i am worried about my one cat chewing fingers off because she has a bad habit of chewing anything plastic..Wires etc. I am going to try the powdered sugar as i do not want glass particals in my air. I bet it works fine:) Heck i'll even taste the doll and let y'all know if she is sweet...lol :rofl: I was so excited when i saw this thread and this technique...such a relief. I love your baby Joey!!!!! :heart: who is he??? :heart:
Thank you. You are sweet to say that :heart: . He is a she really; he is Kate silicone kit by EmilyLauren (Emily Jameson). here on DF :hug:. Soft squishy silicone: he is as sweet in RL. The other baby head has become my table decoration on our kitchen table; laying so sweetly...and decapitated in her bowl, patiently waiting for mummy to finish her hair (a looong time away :lol: ).

I have to say that i agree with regards to kitties. My Tikiri has ruined tree pairs of flip flops; they look funny, completely covered in neat little puncture marks. It is simply that she loves the feeling of sinking her teeth into them. She does not care about the dolls, thankfully. Most are in cabinets anyway because I, like you, was so afraid that she would like them TOO much :lol: .

I was also delighted to see the tutorial. I have had many, many, silicone babies; some of whom lacked any detailing in their paint at all while others was painted beautifully. I was excited because this offered the chance of "customizing" my babies, whom I paint for myself; for own satisfaction if you like :). I can only speak for myself, but I normally do not play monopoly with real money.
I am waiting for beautiful limited Saoirse from Bonnie (whom I sat up a whole night to be able to get the spot for). If I had doubts about the tutorial of Wendy, she would not be painted by that method.

Hugs

Anne
footprintsbabiesMay

LHargreaves, I know I never thought of them eating the silicone babies though. That was suck a shock when I read those posts here from time to time. I would be so sad if I spent so much money and of course loved my doll so much and woke to find him chewed on. I think the only way to know more about it is to have more than one person give their opions on it. So I will be interested to hear what you think. It is always nice to find a safer alternative providing it works as well. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

medici wrote:
It is not the first time May has made this statement, but the other times I have ignored it and based it on her lack of knowledge

Doesn't seem like a very nice thing to say. :?
medici wrote:And that, dear May, is all I have to say on the matter. I think Wendy explained pretty good in her tutorial, but maybe you did not read it?
I did read it but still was wondering more about the sugar on babies. Thank you for asking dear Medici. :foryou:
medici

Post by medici »

footprintsbabiesMay wrote:LHargreaves, I know I never thought of them eating the silicone babies though. That was suck a shock when I read those posts here from time to time. I would be so sad if I spent so much money and of course loved my doll so much and woke to find him chewed on. I think the only way to know more about it is to have more than one person give their opions on it. So I will be interested to hear what you think. It is always nice to find a safer alternative providing it works as well. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

medici wrote:

Doesn't seem like a very nice thing to say. :?
medici wrote:And that, dear May, is all I have to say on the matter. I think Wendy explained pretty good in her tutorial, but maybe you did not read it?
I did read it but still was wondering more about the sugar on babies. Thank you for asking dear Medici. :foryou:
You are welcome, May :)

Anne
footprintsbabiesMay

medici wrote:

Medici, May I ask what you mean when you say this? I am not sure what statement you are referring to and I don't wish to appear wrong or off when I post.