How to professionally paint silicones & full materials list!

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Birgits yodle toddler

Re: How to professionally paint silicones & full materials l

Post by Birgits yodle toddler »

Wow, thank you for this tutorial and the silicone baby from Cindy is to die for! I love the chubby ones! Have to come back and look! Hugs Birgit

Happy to be doing good and let the sparrows whistle!
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

WOW, what an incredibly NICE thing to do Wendy. And it must have taken you forever too. I'm going to see if Steve will make this Sticky so it stays forever. Thank you so much!!!
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
Beth

Post by Beth »

Erin it already is a sticky. :D
Wendy could you please find out from the person who told you they use the GHSP if they put matte varnish
on first then paint? Thanks!
Hugs,
Beth
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Wendy you are amazing!!!!
This will help newbies and oldies alike! I have learned tons!!!
Yes, I have used Genesis on silicone. Your prep work is SO IMPORTANT. Sanding the silicone a bit IS SO IMPORTANT. It needs grip! But GHSP is an oil and you can put your silicone in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes and it works great. I've put them in the oven for 30minutes at this temp and they are fine (WATCH PIECES, it stinks too, AND THEY ARE HOT when the pieces come out)
Now, here are some things;
You might get some sliding paint, it happens. Not sure yet how to fix that.
You need to seal this paint with your permanent sealer... light at first, DRY 24hours (my thing) and then seal again thicker, and again if needed.
I am not sure how to seal yet without texture (I sponge everything on) so if anyone has ideas, that helps (brush strokes tend to show up).

This little girl I just finished with Wendy's technique of a no name brand silicone sealer and powdered sugar matting. WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA (plus baking in oven!!!)

cindy musgrove

Post by cindy musgrove »

Wow Kris she's beautiful!! and a wonderful silicone too! Thanks Shawnda and Birgit! I don't know of a good method yet of how to take care of an all over wash yet, I have used more of a wash that has been greatly thinned down with thinner with the paint, and as Kris said make sure it has been sanded well first as it can absorb into the silicone, then almost rub in with a sponge, or a brush just what works best for you. You want to push it into the silicone so it doesn't sit on the top. I would suggest that you try this on a practice piece first or the sanded underside of the neck, or underside of the head where you will be rooting first (; If it doesn't take well simply take it off with the thinner. You want this to be very light as you really don't want it to be sitting on top of the silicone! you want a very thin layer that has absorbed so you don't have to seal it before you add your next step. Also I might add too that while you don't want a lot of matting layers, it does except paint extremely well! and you can paint over top of it! then seal and matt again, you just don't want to do this too much. That's why I paint just a little darker as I know the matting powder will tone it down. Matting can also take care of a slick spot that wont take paint (;
dollhntrjudy

Post by dollhntrjudy »

Wendy, How generous you have been to share the information you have learned!!! Painting silicone has been somewhat of a secret except for the very expensive products available through silicone art stores! Now more people can re-paint or touch up a silicone that just needs a little extra color. Thank you so much for your kindness!!! :foryou: :headspin:
Lydia_punkcat

Post by Lydia_punkcat »

This really is such an amazing resource. I'm still a little terrified to try it, but I'm at least considering it, so that's progress. :)

2 questions:

1. What are the Nitrile gloves? Would vinyl ones work? (I have to ask since I already have tons of those)

2. Is the oven curing necessary? I assume it is for the matting layers at least, but if I don't mind the long cure time can I skip the oven for the painting layers? Would that just be a terrible idea?
nanas newborns

Post by nanas newborns »

It says in the tutorial to seal only a 3 inch area at a time. Wouldn't it show when you start the next area and not be consistent throughout. Like a border around each area? Couldn't you seal one side of the piece and then bake or cure and then turn it over and seal and cure the other side? Also is the matting substance dusted right onto the second coat of sealer while it is still wet? If using Genesis paints would you still bake at 265 degrees for 8 minutes like you do with vinyl? Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right! :D Nancy
Mikki

Post by Mikki »

How kind are you....
How complete,easy to follow....
Thanks for all your efforts, I could even understand it,lol....
You still should make your own DVD for those that aren't here.....

Thanks again,nice work,
Mikki
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W
christine noel

Post by christine noel »

Hello, i'm from belgium, i bought a lilial breedveld silicone kit
It's very difficult for me to understand how i must paint m'y baby
I understand i can paint with oil painting + silicone oil;
Then use a product to fix painting ( dragon skin )
And thon sugar powder,
CAN you tell me unguis link ( or other if you have)
winch product must i buy?
Sorry for m'y bad english
medici

Post by medici »

From what I understand you use oilpaints and dilute with thinner (like you do your Genesis).

This is the page from smooth-on:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Platinum-Cure- ... catdepth=1

I think this is the product that Wendy is using;

Dragon Skin 10 MEDIUM

Hugs

Anne

(Little Miracle is beautiful, isn't he :heart: :heart: :heart: )
christine noel

Post by christine noel »

I think to paint i must use: oil painting. + Oil silicone. + Thinner.
Wich thinner can i use?
I also find this link
http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=222
Andreas_Dream_Babies

Post by Andreas_Dream_Babies »

I'm back with a couple more questions. I stripped my silicone baby, which went pretty well, although it did leave some marks (tiny slices, really), because I wasn't careful enough. Oh, well. It's only a test baby. I'm working on painting it now, using Genesis paints. It definitely takes the color differently than vinyl, but I really like it. It goes faster than reborns since you don't have to do all the flesh coats and color corrections. I'm not done with her yet, but she's going well.

My questions had to do with the sealing. You said that it should be sealed and matted in 3 inch sections; does this apply to the first coat of sealing and no matting too, or only to the coat where you have wet sealant and matting? And is there a problem with lines between the section or anything like that?

Also, how long do the sealant coats have to dry/cure? In particular, how long should I let the first one cure before applying the second coat? Should I put it in the oven for that?

Kris, since you say you pounce it with a sponge (that would be my preference too), how do you get it into the little tiny crevices between the fingers and things like that?

Thank you for all the help! I will be posting pictures of my baby soon.
medici

Post by medici »

I wondered about the 3" thing as well, but came to the conclusion that it is not meant as work on three inch area at the time AND cure only work in three inch area. I think this is because the Dragonskin dries pretty fast. When I do mine, I plan to thin the Dragonskin with thinner to make the coats much thinner and more appliable/lesss goey. That way we should get a more even surface, I figure. Wendy says this can be done and I have also heard that from other silicone artists. She also says to dry the first layer before applying the second layer and when doing the second layer put matte on while the silicone is still wet. (I read it so many times my head is spinning, so please, it would be great to know if I understood it right....).

Looking much forward to see your baby :heart:

Hugs

Anne
Andreas_Dream_Babies

Post by Andreas_Dream_Babies »

I finished her, and worked fine on her limbs. Her head is still sticky and shiny, as if I'd never matted it. I do know that her head is a RIta Rich silicone head and her limbs are AD Emily silicone limbs. I don't know what happened. Anybody have any tips or ideas? You can see the post where I put pictures up of my baby here: http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=250939
sylvia8212

Post by sylvia8212 »

Wow Wendy- This is absolutely fantastic- thank you soooo much! I have been trawling the internet looking for some sort of tutorial for ages! There is very limited information out there on silicone dolls- the pouring of them and painting them.
I have some experience of casting resin ,(I am an interior designer by trade and used to sculpt and cast my own curtain pole finials, like elephants etc), However, I am now sculpting babies and am looking to pour my own silicone babies later this year. So, I have some experience with creating moulds and extracting air bubbles etc-however, I need advice as to which silicone products to invest in. As you mentioned, silicone is quite expensive.Could you advise what the best silicone products are for a lovely soft baby? Will the suppliers be able to help me with the tints for baby skin tones?
This is what I am considering: -(10A)Medium- is this ok?
. Dragon Skin® Series silicone rubbers are available in Shore hardnesses of 10A, 20A and 30A. In addition, the Dragon Skin® 10 materials are available in SLOW, MEDIUM and FAST versions.
Thanks Wendy you are such a gem!!
xxxx :heart: :heart: :heart:
PetraLechner

Post by PetraLechner »

Wendy thank you so much....its wonderful that you share this.

but I have so my questions and thoughts...maybe you can say something to this.

yes its a great tutorial and I also painted several silikones that way.

But I have to give you one thought.

as you read....there is always a way to rub / sand the already painted and sealed silicone. I realized that it looks fantastic, but for me its not sure how long this will really will keep on.

as some already wrote: silikone only sticks on silicone....

when you apply oil colors, they are in a layer between the original silikone and the sealed silikon it can not bond together... it is NOT really sure that the layers will bond for always.
yes it keeps the color on the silicone, but the oil color will NOT move into silicone... its ON it... and betweet the both layers.

My thoughts are ; the final sealing cover has to bond wiht the original silicone to keep the color, but when the color is between the two layers, the final sealing cannot bond complete with the basic.

So I fear someday the layers will separate, and then the color will also go away. Only my thoughts, cause I tried to use colored silikone in every way a customer will do. and because of the mechanic impulse - I saw the silicone CAN separate again....

maybe its only here with my work...but I am not sure if I would offer this to customers when the chance is, that the complete thing will get off someday.

if there are other experiences I would be glad to hear this...

hugs petra
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

Petra thank you for giving us your perspective on silicone painting as well.I wondered about the same thing and whether in time and handling the paint might come off. As even with silicone paints with handling the silicone's the paint can smear off or sometimes even just peel off.
I guess we will all have to experiment with this new way of painting and see what happens.

For the previous post with the Rita head the reason I think it might be sticky is because the head is probably tin silicone, you might ask Rita what type of silicone sealer would work on the tin based.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
sjones571

Post by sjones571 »

Oh someone please help me out I just tried to paint my only silicone and it has been raining and dreary here for days and the only time I have to work on her is in the late evening and I thought she was turning out ok. I did her coloring brighter because it said to but after two matting layers she is still very much too red and I got some things stuck in the silicone and the silicone is on way too thick and in the light of day so to speak her coloring and painting suck so I need to sand her down and start over but I have sanded for over 2 hrs with the 220 grit sand paper and only a spot about the size of pencil eraser head has come off and I even tried to losen it with acetone at this rate it would take a lifetime to get it off. I used almost a half pack of sand paper and it just won't budge. Could I use a rougher sand paper to losen it off than sand it down with the 220? I am heart broken...........Please help..............

thanks
Sharon
Brendas Babies

Post by Brendas Babies »

Wendy,
You are so awesome! So kind of you to share this and dispell some of the silicone painting myths!
A very detailed and great tutorial. I have to admit I am still scared though!
LOL!
Sweet Quinny by Nikki!