How many mottle colors do you use?

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
daniellebotto

How many mottle colors do you use?

Post by daniellebotto »

I thought this would be a fun thread. Some people use just one blushy looking mottle and others use all the colors under the sun!

What colors do you use, and in how many layers?

Danielle
Baby hugs,
Danielle

PS. If you need any yarn or fabric please let me know. I have too much!!!!
GailCarey

Re: How many mottle colors do you use?

Post by GailCarey »

I'm still experimenting with this. I just started using purple but when I apply the final matte acrylic finish it seems to make it all disappear.
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

Try using the purple towards the end and maybe do a couple layers.
Baby hugs,
Danielle

GailCarey

Post by GailCarey »

daniellebotto wrote:Try using the purple towards the end and maybe do a couple layers.

I did! lol........thanks Danielle..........I apply it darker next time.
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

Yeah, it might have been too light. I tried a preemie skin tone on a test part a couple of days ago. I was doing the mottling and thought what the heck i'll do the mottling a bit heavier because it is on a test part. Looked great, and yep i'm still scared to do it on a real kit.
Baby hugs,
Danielle

jacque123

Post by jacque123 »

My babies have anywhere from 15 to 30 layers of paint, each layer being baked before applying the next one.
margaretsbabies

Post by margaretsbabies »

jacque123 wrote:My babies have anywhere from 15 to 30 layers of paint, each layer being baked before applying the next one.
Not quite as many layers for me. :dance: But I do yellow, peach, blue, purple sometimes I mix up a blood red (very watery) I have so much fun and I love how the baby turns out in the end. :heart:
Cheers
Marg
GailCarey

Post by GailCarey »

daniellebotto wrote:Yeah, it might have been too light. I tried a preemie skin tone on a test part a couple of days ago. I was doing the mottling and thought what the heck i'll do the mottling a bit heavier because it is on a test part. Looked great, and yep i'm still scared to do it on a real kit.
That's my problem too Danielle............just too timid.
MelissasNursery

Post by MelissasNursery »

on Toddlers I do only 2 colors of" mottling" and very natural as they are older babies :)
for babies I do 4 mottle colors Yellow color, red, purple, green (I think thats what I do lol) ...these are just the mottle colors not the flesh which i put on with my mottling sponge :)
Amy

Post by Amy »

I am still experimenting with the mottling layers as well, I do a strawberry and a blue layer then I add crimson to my strawberry and do another layer. I have heard a lot of people use yellow but I have been afraid I will turn my babies jaundice lol so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe on the next one! :)
Sabriam_EdensLittleOnes

Post by Sabriam_EdensLittleOnes »

I vary, depending on how mottled I want the baby to be, but I always start out with a blush mottle, blue mottle, and purple mottle. Then, if I want the baby to be more, I add more later after some skin washes
Brendas Babies

Post by Brendas Babies »

I like a bit of Jaundice look. My youngest was like that and so was my Grand daughter and it looks so newborn and real to me.
Sweet Quinny by Nikki!
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

Brendas Babies wrote:I like a bit of Jaundice look. My youngest was like that and so was my Grand daughter and it looks so newborn and real to me.
I was a jaundice baby! I like it on the nose, especially with some milia. This summer I have been watching a newborn. Started with her when she was 1.5 weeks old. She came out perfect. Her skin was so clear and wonderful. She has lots of little milia on her nose. :)
Baby hugs,
Danielle

lilliemomma

Post by lilliemomma »

I like this topic!
I do a layer of blush, peach, blue, purple, and yellow baking in between each one.
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

It's just got routine for me now with the regular cream coloured vinyl, but I always start with a couple of bright green washes, a flesh wash, I always bake after each of those layers, then I use a sea sponge to mottle on very feint blue, yellow ocre, burnt umber then purple. And bake after adding all those, letting them flash before applying each one. Then i'm off working on the rest. I call those my base colours.
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:It's just got routine for me now with the regular cream coloured vinyl, but I always start with a couple of bright green washes, a flesh wash, I always bake after each of those layers, then I use a sea sponge to mottle on very feint blue, yellow ocre, burnt umber then purple. And bake after adding all those, letting them flash before applying each one. Then i'm off working on the rest. I call those my base colours.
When you say bright green do you mean lime evergreen or the color pthalo green or the color corrector green? :lol:
Baby hugs,
Danielle

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

daniellebotto wrote:
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:It's just got routine for me now with the regular cream coloured vinyl, but I always start with a couple of bright green washes, a flesh wash, I always bake after each of those layers, then I use a sea sponge to mottle on very feint blue, yellow ocre, burnt umber then purple. And bake after adding all those, letting them flash before applying each one. Then i'm off working on the rest. I call those my base colours.
When you say bright green do you mean lime evergreen or the color pthalo green or the color corrector green? :lol:
Pthalo green 06 hun.
daniellebotto

Post by daniellebotto »

I got bunches of limbs from Emily and so I want to try all these mottling layers and see how it comes out.
Baby hugs,
Danielle

Sabriam_EdensLittleOnes

Post by Sabriam_EdensLittleOnes »

I'd love to see pictures of all your limbs and mottling comparisons, how interesting! :)
Silvia

Post by Silvia »

I use the color on mottling depends on the baby, I am not rules for preemies, or older babies. I use primary colors, blue, red (wine) and yellow and with those three give the mottling, I really can't explain it, I apply them depends I want the final look.