(FOLLOW UP WITH FINISHED BABY PICS) Sculpting and moulding a silicone doll

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Fayetinii

(FOLLOW UP WITH FINISHED BABY PICS) Sculpting and moulding a silicone doll

Post by Fayetinii »

Hello, I am new to the site my name is Faye and I am currently a mature student at Grimsby University in the UK. I study Special Effects Makeup which is a heavily workshop based course we spend most of our time sculpting with mould making being quite a large part too. In September I will be entering my third and final year and will be doing a final major project of my choice I would love to make a realistic silicone baby, I am what my teacher calls 'a strong sculptor' I just have some questions as I have never made one before, but I do have the whole academic year to practice and experiment before having the finished peice completed. I am also very lucky that the course has taught me quite a lot of product knowledge. My list of questions is quite long I hope that's okay, and even if you could just answer one that would be a great help!

Should the armature be attached to a base? Like a stand when sculpting a baby?
I would like this to be a one peice baby so how many parts would the mould be? I was thinking it would be 12 or 20 maybe?
I was thing of making the mould using silicone and fibreglass is that a good or bad idea?
Should the doll be solid silicone or do you skin the silicone and have a different material inside?
I quite like the idea of a poseable baby are the special inserts that can be bought? I am not a hundred percent on that idea as I have no clue how it's done lol but I feel it would be super cute to be able to pose the baby at the end of year gallery

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope I posted in the right area :)

Faye
Last edited by Fayetinii on Fri May 26, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Faye x
sherrybug

Re: Sculpting and moulding a silicone doll

Post by sherrybug »

I cannot help with your questions as I only paint the silicone babies...
But I want to wish you good luck on your college project. Sounds exciting.
Hugs,
Sherry

I do Silicone custom painting

Fayetinii

Post by Fayetinii »

sherrybug wrote:I cannot help with your questions as I only paint the silicone babies...
But I want to wish you good luck on your college project. Sounds exciting.
thank you so much! :D I am so excited lol
- Faye x
TinyTimms_Doris

Post by TinyTimms_Doris »

Yes, I wish I could help you too. But I would LOVE to see your finished project! I hope you share it with us.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

It would be fun to follow along with you as you create your project. You could post pictures in Artist's Showcase here.
Fayetinii

Post by Fayetinii »

Thanks so much guys I will definitely keep you posted! :)
- Faye x
Marciemp

Post by Marciemp »

From what I have seen most of the best silicone doll makers use a glove mould. They do the body as one and then a ball jointed head, or some do a one piece baby in one mould with a pour spout at the top.

They do the glove mould out of silicone in layers and then add a supporting mould on the outside, fibreglass would probably work. And the Babis are solid silicone.

I have not done this before but have researched it quite a bit and saw no kne else was replying so I thought I would share what I have learned. The best place I have found to learn is joining some of the Facebook pages about making silicone dolls. I also follow/like a bunch of silicone artist pages and you can get a good idea of how they are sculpting and moulding through their picture albums. Seems to be a lot of the information must be "trade secrets" as it is not given out very freely when I see people ask.

There are also a lot of online groups and forums for sculptors of all kinds, and special effects artists too and I have seen info given out much more freely about moulding and pouring in silicone there.

Another great source is finding the nearest Smooth-on silicone supplier and going to talk to them in person. I recently went to mine for silicone paints and he was a wealth of knowledge about silicone in general and has seen so many different uses and methods people use with silicone and moulds so that was great.

If you would like me to list a few of the actual Facebook pages I have found to have great info let me know. Your project sounds awesome!

Marcie
Fayetinii

Post by Fayetinii »

Hi,i know its been a really long time but i finished the baby :) and the baby video is in my signature. Shes not perfect but has a detailed mouth and drink and wet system :D :elephant: And now i know what to fix for the next one.
18222221_1856513294595524_9136431118085233956_n.jpg
17862313_1843358669244320_4280432228937613706_n.jpg
[/size]
18403241_1856513347928852_6587015399308904650_n.jpg
[/size]
website1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Faye x
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I don't know anything about sculpting and pouring silicone. The only thing I can add is I wish that the silicone bodies and heads could have a hollow core so the babies didn't have to be so very heavy.

Best of luck to you.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Fayetinii wrote:Hi,i know its been a really long time but i finished the baby :) and the baby video is in my signature. Shes not perfect but has a detailed mouth and drink and wet system :D :elephant: And now i know what to fix for the next one.
18222221_1856513294595524_9136431118085233956_n.jpg17862313_1843358669244320_4280432228937613706_n.jpg
website1.jpg
What an amazing job!!! Your baby is adorable. Congratulations on your success and for completing your studies.
Fayetinii

Post by Fayetinii »

Kim wrote:
Fayetinii wrote:Hi,i know its been a really long time but i finished the baby :) and the baby video is in my signature. Shes not perfect but has a detailed mouth and drink and wet system :D :elephant: And now i know what to fix for the next one.
18222221_1856513294595524_9136431118085233956_n.jpg17862313_1843358669244320_4280432228937613706_n.jpg
website1.jpg
What an amazing job!!! Your baby is adorable. Congratulations on your success and for completing your studies.
Thank you so much! There are a few little issues i need to sort for the next one but i think for the first ones shes not too shabby :) :heart:
- Faye x
Fayetinii

Post by Fayetinii »

Brooke wrote:I don't know anything about sculpting and pouring silicone. The only thing I can add is I wish that the silicone bodies and heads could have a hollow core so the babies didn't have to be so very heavy.

Best of luck to you.
That is certainly possible... :) I do agree they are incredibly heavy, this little one weighs over 8lbs
- Faye x
Fayetinii

Post by Fayetinii »

Marciemp wrote:From what I have seen most of the best silicone doll makers use a glove mould. They do the body as one and then a ball jointed head, or some do a one piece baby in one mould with a pour spout at the top.

They do the glove mould out of silicone in layers and then add a supporting mould on the outside, fibreglass would probably work. And the Babis are solid silicone.

I have not done this before but have researched it quite a bit and saw no kne else was replying so I thought I would share what I have learned. The best place I have found to learn is joining some of the Facebook pages about making silicone dolls. I also follow/like a bunch of silicone artist pages and you can get a good idea of how they are sculpting and moulding through their picture albums. Seems to be a lot of the information must be "trade secrets" as it is not given out very freely when I see people ask.

There are also a lot of online groups and forums for sculptors of all kinds, and special effects artists too and I have seen info given out much more freely about moulding and pouring in silicone there.

Another great source is finding the nearest Smooth-on silicone supplier and going to talk to them in person. I recently went to mine for silicone paints and he was a wealth of knowledge about silicone in general and has seen so many different uses and methods people use with silicone and moulds so that was great.

If you would like me to list a few of the actual Facebook pages I have found to have great info let me know. Your project sounds awesome!

Marcie
Hi Marcie, I'm so sorry I didn't visit the site for a while and missed your reply, but there is a wealth of advice here :) thank you!!
- Faye x