Cloth body problem, please help!

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Betsy

Cloth body problem, please help!

Post by Betsy »

Hi everyone! I’d like to ask some help from all the amazing reborn artists here :heart:

I have a toddler doll I really love (Prince George by Ping Lau) reborn by an amazing artist, but I’ve never liked his body and how it moves. I’m not a reborn artist and don’t have many other dolls to compare, so I can’t quite figure out what needs fixing. Btw, just to clarify I don’t think the artist did anything wrong! It’s just not my personal preference.

Here’s the thing: when you pick him up, his limbs are TOO floppy, more like a newborn than a toddler. His legs especially move every which way, which for me really detracts from the realism of the doll (while his painting is so amazingly realistic).

He has ¾ arms and legs, so maybe this is normal with this type of body? Here are some “nakie” pictures:

As you can see in the last picture his legs actually tend to twist backwards, I didn’t have to force them into that position. He’s not very heavy in general, but his limbs are, and they pull on the cloth where they attach to the body.

So these are my questions and some possible solutions I’ve come up with:

1. Does he need a different cloth body, maybe one with non-jointed legs?

2. Is the leg portion of the cloth body too long? It looks like the cloth part is almost 1/3 of the overall length of his legs, which means this doll can’t wear shorts :lol:

3. Maybe it’s not the body, but he needs more cotton stuffing? Perhaps if he had more stuffing in those areas where the vinyl attaches to the cloth body, then the limbs wouldn’t pull the cloth so much and twist in all directions.

4. Or could it be that his legs and arms are too heavy and most of his weight should be in his torso/bottom? I believe his limbs are weighed with poly pellets or similar, because you can feel them when you squeeze them.

5. Is there a way to tighten the turning mechanism inside the cloth body so his arms and legs don’t twist so easily?

Please help! I’d love to fix this issue because I haven’t been able to fully appreciate this doll, and he’s one of my dream babies.

The other thing is, do you think I could do any of these options myself or does he need to go to a reborn artist for some TLC?

Thank you in advance! :foryou:

Dolly hugs,
Betsy
Hugs, Betsy

:heart:

ImageImage
Rhonda Junebird Nursery

Re: Cloth body problem, please help!

Post by Rhonda Junebird Nursery »

It could be 'all of the above' if you are wanting this one to be able to sit and pose.

The arms and legs may be a little too heavy and looks like the baby needs more fiberfill in the arms and legs. With the body, if he were taken apart, you may be able to tighten the joints, but it depends on the joints used. No way to know without taking him apart. You could use rubber bands or something around the joints on the outside to make them move less. It does look like the cloth on the legs is a little long, but I am not sure he would look right with full legs .

I WISH I could make bodies. They are usually what causes me doubt when putting a baby together. I can love the baby ~~ and the body can ruin it for me, so I understand your struggle here. There are so many bodies and sizes to choose from that it gets confusing.

You could probably do it if you are not worried about putting him back together.
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

I am no expert but the leg caps look too long. IMHO
Last edited by grandmasheryl on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyndig77

Post by cyndig77 »

I DO make bodies and have made custom bodies for most of my dolls as I am very picky about how they fit. Those leg caps are too long for that doll and it could be that the placement isn't up high enough, either. I can't really tell from the pics but it could be any of the other things in combination with the leg caps being much too long. Just my opinion but if you really love the doll it might be worth it to send her out for a new body and weighting.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Thank you for your insights ladies! Sounds like a new/different body may be needed. Now I just need to decide if I'm brave enough to attempt to make these changes myself :lol:
Hugs, Betsy

ImageImage
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I agree with all the above and I just hate it when the legs do that swinging around stuff!
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Jenny wrote:I agree with all the above and I just hate it when the legs do that swinging around stuff!
I'm so glad to hear that! I thought I was just being too picky :lol: Hopefully I'll be able to fix this soon and have fun dressing him up :D
Hugs, Betsy

ImageImage