Using a hairdryer to set GHSP??

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Annette

Using a hairdryer to set GHSP??

Post by Annette »

Is a regular hairdryer hot enough to set GHSP?
I have a kit that I thought I'd finished sealing, but when I rubbed a mark on it's cheek, the paint came off, so I think I may have forgotten to heat the last layer of paint. I can't put it back into my oven, as there's a magnet inside the head, and various glues in there too, holding magnets and sealing eyelashes. So I need an alternative heat source.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks. :)
Hugs Annette
marilyn

Re: Using a hairdryer to set GHSP??

Post by marilyn »

That's a great question and I'd love to know the answer as well.
19debra

Post by 19debra »

I don't think a hairdryer gets hot enough to set the GHSP. You would need to use a Heat Gun.
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

A hair dryer will not get hot enough. You can still put in your oven for a one quick bake. the magnet may shift but I have done it before.
Annette

Post by Annette »

lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra wrote:A hair dryer will not get hot enough. You can still put in your oven for a one quick bake. the magnet may shift but I have done it before.
Won't the magnet melt the vinyl if it gets hot? I've also got E6000, Modpodge and Crazy glue in and on this head too.
Hugs Annette
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

My heat gun came with a warning saying the temperature exceeds 400 degrees....no where near what a hair dryer gives off :shock:
Not sure about the glue question~~I'd like to know that too :D
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

Annette wrote:
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra wrote:A hair dryer will not get hot enough. You can still put in your oven for a one quick bake. the magnet may shift but I have done it before.
Won't the magnet melt the vinyl if it gets hot? I've also got E6000, Modpodge and Crazy glue in and on this head too.
You only need to bake once. I have never had an issue besides the magnet maybe moving.
MikeTheEngineer

Post by MikeTheEngineer »

Heat will actually cause a magnet to demagnetize. (I don't know the heat needed.)

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Wha ... ts-sustain
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

I second this. I've done this many times. The magnet will not melt - only the glue will and it may cause the magnet to move a bit.
I do also highly recommend getting a heat gun. Mine has been quite a lifesaver in certain instances such as this. :D
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Annette

Post by Annette »

Ok, thanks everyone. It sounds like I'll have to invest in a heat gun. :)
Hugs Annette
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

Annette wrote:
You can put it in the oven to bake, what I do if I have to and the magnet is already glued in the dolls mouth, is on the outside put a small pc of felt and just take a loose magnet and put over the felt so it attaches to the one inside the mouth and you will not have any problems, I have done this more then once and no problems. If the hair is rooted be sure to take a damp cloth and cover her hair.

A hair dryer will not get hot enough.

Hope this helps.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

MikeTheEngineer wrote:
Heat will actually cause a magnet to demagnetize. (I don't know the heat needed.)

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Wha ... ts-sustain
He is correct, it can. I had it happen before. Not always does it happen but I have had it to do so.
Annette

Post by Annette »

Thanks again everyone for you input.
What I'm most worried about, is the glues burning or catching alight. But I've just had a thought....there is also the fibrefill inside the head....I can't take the plug out, because I Crazy glued it in.
Yep, looks like I'll definitely have to get a heat gun. :roll:
Hugs Annette
Angelsofedensharon

Post by Angelsofedensharon »

not sure about the hairdryer , but yes the magnet will not work after being in the oven , happened to me before x
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

A heat gun is well worth the $35 or so. You will find other uses for it. When you use the heat gun, make sure you cover the mohair with a wet cloth.
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies
Annette

Post by Annette »

Thankyou all, for your help. I was gifted a heat gun so am set now. :)

Thankyou SO much, Ani!!! :hug:
Hugs Annette