Air Dry Slow-Dry Question

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
KeishaJay

Air Dry Slow-Dry Question

Post by KeishaJay »

So, I just ran out of my BabyFX slow dry medium, and I can't seem to find another brand that gives the same effect. The Liquitex medium I bought makes my kits super shiny. I think I can fix that with some heat set matte, but it's not something I want to keep doing consistently. Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement retarder?
CatW

Re: Air Dry Slow-Dry Question

Post by CatW »

Here is what I found that some ladies have tried and use: Jo Sonja Retarder Medium
http://www.dickblick.com/products/chrom ... wAodExAFgQ

Think I will give it a try also.
hugs xo, Cat
KeishaJay

Post by KeishaJay »

I saw that too browsing around. It's worth a shot anyway. Fingers crossed it dries matte and not glossy. ;)
CatW

Post by CatW »

Please post your results.
Thanks
hugs xo, Cat
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I have used the Jo Sonjas Retarder with BabyFX and it works well. I also use their Flow Medium to thin the paints. Both products are great.
Keep in mind adding retarders/slow dry products DO reduce binders in the paints the same way water does. Don't over use to prevent adhesion problems and fading. I always add back a drop of either Sure Bond, Golden Liquid Matting Medium or RebornFX Emulsion to offset this. Adding back binders to paints can increase the sheen but it is easily matted at the end.
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

great post
CatW

Post by CatW »

Thank you @ anjsmiles Angie, I was hoping you would chime in. :)
hugs xo, Cat
KeishaJay

Post by KeishaJay »

Thanks for the tips, Angie. I only really need the retarder when I paint ethnic skintones, and I would definitely use a flow medium for painting hair. I haven't had any problems with fading so far, but I have yet to find an air-dry matte that works as well as Genesis, which kinda sucks. I have very little practice with heat-set paints, and I would prefer not to use them at all. I definitely had to with the last two dark-skinned babies I painted. They were both shiny as bowling balls, but Genesis matte took care of that problem.

I will for sure post some pictures of my results. I've got some high hopes for this brand. I hear nothing but good things.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I still seal all my babies with Genesis unless the customer requests not.
Folk Art Outdoor Matte Sealer is very matte but some people said they had issues with it cracking on the softer vinyls
I liked using the BabyFX Sure Bond with the Matting Powder mixed in to make it more matte but of course they are no longer made.
RebornFX has a matting Liquid that helps some with the sheen and you can apply it over your air dry sealer to matte it some.
yasminao007

Post by yasminao007 »

Hello keshya,

i am new in reborning, i am not a professional in reborning,

but i know about paints from 8 years ago painting figures and techniques,

and about the paints i can recommend you, you are using de fx are good, please check the brand miracle blend air dry paints,

they have paints specials for do effects on your baby, for example the dry skin, its fantastic, and about the general colours they works very very good in my figures, i did not try in vinil but this paints was do specially for kits babyes, and the artist cinthya agurto from royal palace was using this paints and her babyes looks amazing , i love cinthya really like,

they show you how to use their products i attach the website and they show tutorials and how to use

http://miracleblend.blogspot.com.au/

or the people group in facebook maybe if you ask the same question they can help you for you have better information its this

https://www.facebook.com/groups/686214481453475/

i no write good english because its not my originally language i hope i help you or you, kisses keshya