Does anyone know???

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Stefnanny123

Does anyone know???

Post by Stefnanny123 »

What brand of ACRYLIC air dry paint would be artist grade? I would like to try and mix my own paints. Any advice? Do you put any medium in the paint or just use water? I sure hope someone knows the answers. Thanks so much.
BeachBabiesKim

Re: Does anyone know???

Post by BeachBabiesKim »

Liquitex was just about the best acrylic paint I've used for portraits and clay sculptures but as far as what to add to it to make it a good choice for reborning,I am not sure. Some sort of acrylic thinning medium I would assume to make it go on smoother and dry slower but obeying that I'm not sure. Maybe, if no one responds get some paint and some mediums and try it out on some Kits? Best of luck! 😊
Stefnanny123

Post by Stefnanny123 »

BeachBabiesKim wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm Liquitex was just about the best acrylic paint I've used for portraits and clay sculptures but as far as what to add to it to make it a good choice for reborning,I am not sure. Some sort of acrylic thinning medium I would assume to make it go on smoother and dry slower but obeying that I'm not sure. Maybe, if no one responds get some paint and some mediums and try it out on some Kits? Best of luck! 😊
Thank you so much for responding. I’ve been doing lots of research and learned some good stuff.
MichellesReborns

Post by MichellesReborns »

Julia (All4Reborns on YouTube) has done research on this. Contact her via Patreon for tutorials, that's what I'm doing!

(In a video she said she uses Winsor & Newton Galeria Acrylic. She likes them because they have no "warning toxic chemicals" label and she has tried all the grades in this line and found this works best.)
CatW

Post by CatW »

Stefnanny123 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm What brand of ACRYLIC air dry paint would be artist grade? I would like to try and mix my own paints. Any advice? Do you put any medium in the paint or just use water? I sure hope someone knows the answers. Thanks so much.

I am in the process of transitioning from Baby FX to Liquitex Professional (Hard)Body Acrylics. I use some really nice slow-dry medium that I only dreamed of finding with Genesis and other brands of paints. It is only sold online at Michael's Arts and Crafts: Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic Slow Drying Medium. I also use Jo Sonja Retarder Medium for thinning paints with water, but mostly I keep my water use to a very small minimum. The water is what fades the paints over time in my belief. (I don't mix these two) I have done my research, no and that is a huge NO to using the Glass and Tile Medium recommended by others. I was in contact with the company and it not for vinyl. The best advice I can give you is to work in small areas at a time and love the results you get.
hugs xo, Cat
MichellesReborns

Post by MichellesReborns »

blui wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:02 am I have done my research, no and that is a huge NO to using the Glass and Tile Medium recommended by others. I was in contact with the company and it not for vinyl. The best advice I can give you is to work in small areas at a time and love the results you get.

@Blui what do you use as a final matte sealer? I thought that Glass and Tile Medium was the accepted industry standard 🙊
CatW

Post by CatW »

MichellesReborns wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 am
blui wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:02 am I have done my research, no and that is a huge NO to using the Glass and Tile Medium recommended by others. I was in contact with the company and it not for vinyl. The best advice I can give you is to work in small areas at a time and love the results you get.

@Blui what do you use as a final matte sealer? I thought that Glass and Tile Medium was the accepted industry standard 🙊
It might be some people's industry standard, it's not mine and that is also with using it one time. I researched and found out what is acceptable especially after I purchased a doll done with it and that doll was chalky. And if you go back through my posts I answered you on what I use for sealing. :heart:
hugs xo, Cat