Bad silicone?

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Stefnanny123

Bad silicone?

Post by Stefnanny123 »

Does some silicone go bad as it ages?????
Rhonda W

Re: Bad silicone?

Post by Rhonda W »

I've heard it can, others will say it won't I think it depends on how much slacker was used while pouring it. I've seen silicone completely far apart so I know it can happen. Like anything there probably is a shelf life but nobody really knows yet. I have dolls that are 13 years old still like new and some are tin so who really knows.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

As Rhonda says there are factors that can affect the longevity of silicone. An artist/pourer storing the silicone in temperatures that are too hot or too cold can absolutely affect the silicone and it can go bad. That I learned from the owner of Smooth-On who sadly passed away. Plus additives, when you have no idea what the pourer is putting in the mix it is pretty hard to know what will happen over time. Honestly, even if I had unlimited funds unless I was right there when a silicone was poured I wouldn't pay some of the prices silicones are going for, more power to the people who can, but I think it is nuts, no offense to anyone though.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
KLynn17

Post by KLynn17 »

I agree! I have a limit, and it is no where near what people are paying.

georgeanne wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 pm As Rhonda says there are factors that can affect the longevity of silicone. An artist/pourer storing the silicone in temperatures that are too hot or too cold can absolutely affect the silicone and it can go bad. That I learned from the owner of Smooth-On who sadly passed away. Plus additives, when you have no idea what the pourer is putting in the mix it is pretty hard to know what will happen over time. Honestly, even if I had unlimited funds unless I was right there when a silicone was poured I wouldn't pay some of the prices silicones are going for, more power to the people who can, but I think it is nuts, no offense to anyone though.