Silicone Paint Peeling - what are your expectations? Poll.

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.

For those of you who own silicone artist dolls (not including manufactured dolls):

I have at least one with paint issues (peeling, rubbing off, etc.).
40%
None of mine have ever had paint problems.
17%
I have at least one silicone with a rip or tear in it.
25%
None of my silicones have ever torn.
18%

Total votes: 183

Beachwalker Mandy

Re: Silicone Paint Peeling - what are your expectations? Pol

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

My one good silicone doll is Cale by Tasha Edenholm and she has not one spot of peeling paint anywhere on her and no tears or beginnings of a tear anywhere. I do not handle her a lot. When I redress her I am very gentle and when I pick her up I always support her head. I bought an infant car seat and I have kept her in it well supported ever since I got her. I cover her with a soft blanket most of the time in case the kitten gets to running around in my bedroom. I would cringe Sally if a guest came in and picked her up without my permission, but she is in my bedroom so I surely hope no one waltzes in there without my knowing about it.
I agree with what Kris says about our silicone dolls. They are not playthings and I would not bathe mine just for the sake of giving it a bath. She doesn't get dirty and since she is covered, she doesn't get dusty. I look at her when I want to see her, other than that, no one is here to see her anyhow, so it is wise to keep her covered and keep her safe.
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

I forgot to say that I DO handle my babies and redress them some too.
I keep most of them covered up to keep the dust off but some are right out there all the time and they seem fine too.

Silicone is so tough. It truly is. It's really hard to wreck or destroy it. Ask Melissa McCrory. She has purposely tried to wreck hers to see what it takes. She says it take a whole lot! As I recall, she even tried to burn some silicone and it didn't burn well. LOL

Enjoy your babies in whatever fashion makes you happy/comfortable. I play with mine by posing them for pictures and take them on walks sometimes. Others would be aghast at that. LOL

Mandy, I was moving my dolls from one room to another and my guest "helped" me. Sigh. It blew my mind that she didn't let me know what had happened to the doll's arm. I just discovered it the next time I moved the doll. It happened because I have tons of dolls and wanted to make room for the guests quickly. I just didn't see what happened and should have given more specific instructions. Now, using hind-sight, I do all my own moving of dolls well in advance of company arriving.
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

I don't get a lot of paint peeling off mine. I never bathe any of them. I do dress them quite a bit but am very careful so I get very little peeling. I think the only one I have that has really peeled is Andy, and he has only peeled a little and it was the blush on his cheeks.
HUGS, LAINEY
[image]11057[/image]
footprintsbabiesMay

Post by footprintsbabiesMay »

I just love silicones. None of my babies have peeled or torn that I purchased directly from the artist.
I have, however, purchased second hand babies that have had a few issues.
DollycrazyLiz

Post by DollycrazyLiz »

I only have one silicone at present with another on the way :elephant: so i don't have very much experience, i'm unsure if he came as he was but he was very very pale, I bought him second hand so don't know his history. He has been repainted by the lovely Tracey :D his silicone is absolutely beautiful with no rips or tears at all that I can see. I just love the silicones and I hope that I don't have to keep on getting any I have repainted but it won't stop me buying them :lol: I would be more unhappy about rips and tears occurring that would worry me :? But again so far I don't think anything will stop me buying them :roll:

Marita is really good that you are putting all this research in, thank you :hug:
Last edited by DollycrazyLiz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I am curious to know what is the typical charge one can expect to pay to have a silicone doll repainted?
Joz_Follee

Post by Joz_Follee »

I had one silicone with paint problems on the lips, but she was used. I think the first mom forced a paci or left it in the mouth and the paint rubbed off. I did not expect anyone to repair the baby for free. I also had a solid silicone that was constantly "tearing", through no fault of my own. I purchased her new, and yes… I would have been very happy if the artist had sent a warranty with the doll that I could return her for repairs for at least one year after purchase. I will never buy another doll from that artist, no matter how cute the sculpt! Therefore, I think at least a one year warranty would be nice. Having said that, I looked at two resin dolls at The Doll House. The reason I chose one artist over the other was the fact that the artist stood behind her work even if the doll was bought from someone used! My thoughts were and are that if she is so confident in her work that I will probably never have to return the doll for repairs or repaint! I am starting to feel the same way when I buy a reborn. I recently purchased a new, fairly inexpensive reborn on eBay because I loved the sculpt, the painting looked very nice, and the artist had a 14 day return policy. What swayed me to bid was the return policy. Based on my past experiences, I was very worried about the doll and was extremely anxious awaiting its arrival. I'm happy to say that I was blown away when I got the baby! His painting is very well done and exquisite; therefore, this baby will be staying. I'm terrified these days of buying a doll for fear it will be poorly done or have problems. When I spend money on a new doll, I want the quality to be there! If I get a doll used and it's fairly cheap, I'm not quite as particular. Therefore, I think some sort of a warranty and/or return policy would be nice. I never back out of any deal over buyer's remorse, but I will back out if I think it's vaporware, which is why I prefer to buy from a doll store and not direct from an artist. Also, these days I will not enter into any deal for a new doll where I do not have some protection once I get the doll and I go, "I paid that for this!", before a year is even up!!!
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

I don't own a silicone simply because of he issues I have seen on this board alone with silicones. My expectationswould be for the kind of money they cost they should be without faults. Face it dolls are made to live so they are going to be held to a certain degree holding them or changing them should not compromise the paint or the silicone in any way.
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Just realized I should have put a category in my poll that said "I have never owned a silicone" so that people who have not owned one could see the poll without having to give a false answer. I am afraid the answers are skewed a bit because you have to answer something to see the results. Sorry about that. I am so glad to get your feedback though. It has been very informative and helpful to me. Thank you all!!
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

I would also like to know how much it costs to have a silicone repainted.

If an artist does an edition, how long do you think they should be guaranteed? What is a fair time for her to say "no more free repairs and free re-painting". Do they have to be guaranteed for the life of the doll? I think in some cases, the artist would be so busy repairing and repainting that they would get nothing else done. I know at least one artist whose ooaks sell for a lot of money, but she repairs for free, for life. However, she does it as she can get to it, and that may take a year or more of waiting.
dollhntrjudy

Post by dollhntrjudy »

I had two very early silicone and found (except for Eva Helland's Nikita) that the silicone was sticky. Then, I didn't buy silicones for quite some time. I bought the 1st full body soft silicone that I was aware of from an American artist. I have severe dry eye syndrome, and for some reason, that doll made my eyes tear up and burn although she was a joy to hold. I am quite sensitive to some silicone unless sealed well. Then I bought two dolls by Claire Taylor. Zoe in the regular "dragon skin" platinum silicone and full body soft silicone Janika. She painted and matte sealed both to perfection. I have dressed them both frequently (but carefully too) just like you would treat a real infant. (I'm not big into baths for dolls so Janika has had one clear water bath and was patted dry. I also don't push bottles into the mouths.) The silicone is still great, the paint has not peeled at all, and I don't think any hair at all has come out of their heads. I am back to being a big fan of silicone! I would love to get a Romie silicone some day. Right now, I am waiting for a full body silicone from an American artist. I think silicones have to be treated with care but I love the medium now if it is painted and totally matte sealed!!!! P.S. Always, spray the hair before gently brushing it with a baby brush or it will come out since no glue is inside the head to withstand rough treatment.
:hi ya:
Last edited by dollhntrjudy on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SherylA

Post by SherylA »

Adrie and Romie's babies do not peel! It seems as though the paint is NOT layered on top of the doll's skin/silicone. They both have fabulous techniques making it seem as though the baby is really blushing from underneath the surface. This really adds to their realism.
Dion

Post by Dion »

Marita Winters wrote:I would also like to know how much it costs to have a silicone repainted.

If an artist does an edition, how long do you think they should be guaranteed? What is a fair time for her to say "no more free repairs and free re-painting". Do they have to be guaranteed for the life of the doll? I think in some cases, the artist would be so busy repairing and repainting that they would get nothing else done. I know at least one artist whose ooaks sell for a lot of money, but she repairs for free, for life. However, she does it as she can get to it, and that may take a year or more of waiting.
I should have added that besides Eva Helland and Adrie Stoete, I haven't ever had Claire Taylor's Dolls or Donna Lee's dolls peel either.

As far as how long they should be guaranteed, that would be hard to determine, as some people really use their dolls like they are real babies and their dolls might still be under warranty, so you would have to fix them even though it wasn't your fault that it was damaged. The dolls that I have needed to have fixed were mostly done for free by the artist, except for one, even though some of them were added to my collection through the secondary market and were quite old. I thought that was very awesome and generous of the artists. Only one artist charged me money and it was a very nominal fee, I think that it was $50.00.

I would love to see a silicone baby by you, Marita. That would be awesome! Hugs, Dion

Edited to add: I haven't ever owned a Romie silicone baby, but I am sure that her silicone babies wouldn't peel either. Thank you for reminding me of her, Sheryl!!
Lori_Ivanovic

Post by Lori_Ivanovic »

The mold release used in the mold is like vaseline. To ensure that you get it all the way off, it has to go through several different cleaning methods. We use a respirator with a VERy nasty chemical that gets the mold release off. I know that many just wash the doll in soap or use alcohol which just isn't enough. SOme think if they just hit it with sand paper that it will be enough to make the paint stick. THat is only one step in the many to prepare the surface for silicone paint. It is a pain in the butt, but it is very necessary. My dolls don't peel, but i do believe that it is because of all the steps we take to make sure the paint adheres.
*FULL BODY SCULPT SOLID SILICONE* CHEYENNE * taking reservations
ImageImage

http://www.silverspoonnursery.com
dianareed

Post by dianareed »

I'm not a doll artist, I'm a collector. I would like to know what I can do, myself, to repair a slight peel on my silicone baby.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I have several Helland silicones as well as an Adrie baby and a Romie baby. None of them have any issues with paint peeling, silicone rips or anything for that matter. They have all been handled and redressed. I would love to see Adrie do a full bodied silicone baby. Whatever you decide Marita, I bet your baby will be gorgeous and sell out quickly.
Hugs,
Nadia

Delbra

Please delete

Post by Delbra »

:)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dolly Hugs,
Delbra
Mrs.B

Post by Mrs.B »

I have two Ebbeling silicones...Amore and Levi. I got Amore around 2008 or 2009 and Levi I got in 2010. I have never had any issues with sticky silicone, tears or the like. They are as beautiful as the day I received them and Vikki is wonderful to work with. She is one artist who definitely stands behind her work.