How are people handling the very defective mouth on the Penny kits?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Ginny W

How are people handling the very defective mouth on the Penny kits?

Post by Ginny W »

Facebook has a very hot topic going on right now over the Penny Blick kits coming in with the mouth a really bad mess not looking anything like Natali first showed Penny to look. Natali is now proclaiming that ridge in front is Penny's tongue yet in the first pictures it looks like gums sticking up behind her lips. Natali is claiming it is supposed to be that way but the clay sculpts say other wise and many dealers have contacted Natali over it and she is not once again not standing behind her defective kits. If you think it was done that way and have the kits, then reach in and press the mouth forward once and then tell me with very distinct lines that that isn't a piece of clay that had to of broken out and was missed. I am saddened that once again a flaw was shown to Natali and she make excuses that it was made way. I was just updated .... Natali posted saying she planned it that way. Um so why did she not reveal it that she changed the original sculpt she posted pictures of? Why would you leave the sharp edges and not smooth everything off inside? She is now claiming she made that a tongue and you can put a pacifier modified in her mouth. Okay if that is so then someone explain to me why that missing piece in front is off to the side and not centered. :bash: :banghead: :dunno: Below are the pictures of the very first released pictures of Penny with cropped mouths and the close up of the mouth she arrived with. Then the two of her face is the originals that Natali herself posted to get people interested in her. I want someone to show me where any of teh previous pictures shows that huge broken out gap in front. That gap has very distinct ridges that were not smoothed down at all like itr was claimed to be planned. Then if planned why would you leave it all sharp edged then?

Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Visit all her photo album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3
Shannon

Re: How are people handling the very defective mouth on the Penny kits?

Post by Shannon »

In the black and white pics, it looks like a piece was used to fill in that area because it doesn't look in line with the rest of the area.
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

Shannon wrote:In the black and white pics, it looks like a piece was used to fill in that area because it doesn't look in line with the rest of the area.

If that is so then maybe that piece is what fell out. But if you push forward her mouth area from inside., there is a huge hole behind that broken out ridge and it has a line like a break out line all the way around that piece missing in front and also then into the deep hole behind that front ridge. A solid ridged line at that.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
gabbys_babes

Post by gabbys_babes »

Wow! It looks like that was meant to be her bottom gum. From the vinyl it looks like it was cut out from the clay.
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

gabbys_babes wrote:Wow! It looks like that was meant to be her bottom gum. From the vinyl it looks like it was cut out from the clay.
It is really bad inside this mouth people are supposed to paint. Rough bad vinyl badly grabs the Genesis paints and makes it about impossible to make a nice paint job in something like that.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Oh great!! I have 2 on the way to me. Not looking forward to her if this is the case....What are we supposed to do with that????
That is NOT ok. These kits are too expensive to come with flaws
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

chelle77 wrote:Oh great!! I have 2 on the way to me. Not looking forward to her if this is the case....What are we supposed to do with that????
That is NOT ok. These kits are too expensive to come with flaws
Wait until you see inside her mouth! I can't believe Natali or anyone else for that matter would say this is okay. When you get your kits reach inside and push the bottom of the mouth at you so you get to look at what you are trying to deal with. I guess prototype people must ignore the flaws now
days they see.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
rdodd75

Post by rdodd75 »

Oh no :(
I pre ordered this kit but no longer want it. We should be able to cancel and get a refund :(
Becca

Post by Becca »

This is really awful. I cannot believe she is not standing behind her work. I wonder what happened to the kit :dunno: she was so gorgeous. I feel very sorry for all the collectors who bought her. I really wanted one and regretted not purchasing her but now it looks like it was a good thing I didn't. I hope something will be done to make this situation right.
:foryou:
CatW

Post by CatW »

How sad is it you still don't do research before tearing a kit and the sculptor down? It amazes me the bs that still goes on with certain people in the Reborn Community. :bash:

chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

I just read Natali's reply to all of it on FB and it says she meant to have the tongue this way .... The thing for me is this is not the way the clay sculpt looked -- it was modified after showing the sculpt so it's not the same product, imo. I loved that the little gum line showed on the clay sculpt and now it's gone...??
Not happy about this :/
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

blui wrote:How sad is it you still don't do research before tearing a kit and the sculptor down? It amazes me the bs that still goes on with certain people in the Reborn Community. :bash:

Well next time I'll get out my magnifying glass.
We shouldn't HAVE to look that deeply. The Clay sculpt clearly showed a different mouth.
If that's the BS you are speaking of then I agree
At 100 plus per kit we should get what is shown. Not a modified version
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Natali is an amazing artist! I have reborned several of her kits and love all the details she puts into her work. She certainly strives to make her kits unique and desirable to the reborn world. I hate dealing with eyes, but her kits can be so irresistible that I am willing to do the battle.
I can see where some perceived that area as a bottom gum instead of a tongue. It could be that the angle of the camera when the pics of the clay were taken was at such that it appeared to be a solid area. Most prototypes are created AFTER preorders, though. So, getting really good peeks before a preorder can be hard. It's normally based on only 1 or 2 shots with most artists. :(
Penny is truly adorable. I reborn for the market, though. So, I can understand the concern about the roughness of the mouth and the sharp edges of that indent, as that area is often the most difficult to paint. I was told(through the forums) that one of the prototype artists softened the area. If I do decide to reborn it, I will likely soften that area, too. Another concern is how will that indentation go over with a collector? As a seller(if I decide to keep the kit), I will feel compelled to address that area in my listing with a small note and pics so that there isn't a misunderstanding once the reborn is received by my buyer.
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

Just seen a post on Facebook from Natalie that states it is not a defect and that she sculpted it this way so baby can take a full paci. I haven't see the kit in person so can't make a judgement call on it tbf!!

Jo in the UK
Last edited by safcfootienut_Jo on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Shannon wrote:Natali is an amazing artist! I have reborned several of her kits and love all the details she puts into her work. She certainly strives to make her kits unique and desirable to the reborn world. I hate dealing with eyes, but her kits can be so irresistible that I am willing to do the battle.
I can see where some perceived that area as a bottom gum instead of a tongue. It could be that the angle of the camera when the pics of the clay were taken was at such that it appeared to be a solid area. Most prototypes are created AFTER preorders, though. So, getting really good peeks before a preorder can be hard. It's normally based on only 1 or 2 shots with most artists. :(
Penny is truly adorable. I reborn for the market, though. So, I can understand the concern about the roughness of the mouth and the sharp edges of that indent, as that area is often the most difficult to paint. I was told(through the forums) that one of the prototype artists softened the area. If I do decide to reborn it, I will likely soften that area, too. Another concern is how will that indentation go over with a collector? As a seller(if I decide to keep the kit), I will feel compelled to address that area in my listing with a small note and pics so that there isn't a misunderstanding once the reborn is received by my buyer.
This is exactly what I am afraid of. Having to explain a sculpt's perceived imperfection annoys me greatly.
I bought 2 kits based on the clay sculpt and it is my right to have an opinion on the fact that it may be a headache to try and sell the painted product.
IF there was a side note about the changes then I could have made an informed choice. That is what upsets me.

**Not directed at you at all Shannon~~the poster that complained about certain people in the reborn community is who I am directing the statement toward.
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

blui wrote:How sad is it you still don't do research before tearing a kit and the sculptor down? It amazes me the bs that still goes on with certain people in the Reborn Community. :bash:

First of all I really don't have to justify anything. If you believe this was on purpose that is fine to. If done on purpose it was left a total mess. I would like someone to explain to me then why Natali on purpose left such a mess inside this mouth knowing she usually does better work than this. I do buy most of her releases too and this is not like her to leave something like this on purpose. How about you push the inside of the mouth out ward and take a good look first? If this was so planned then why is there a rough ridge all inside of this mouth in a shape like a whole piece was broken out and left a deep thin hole in the bottom behind this open ridge? Why is it off center also if for a pacifier? We don't put a pacifier to the side the last I knew. ? That mouth if planned then is a total mess. You show the original sculpt and the final comes back not looking at all like what you THOUGHT you were paying for. Not one proto artist revealed to anyone the what the inside of this mouth was. Mine has her upper lip like someone just took a knife and cut out pieces. This will be an extremely hard mouth to paint . I know I will have to see if it can be somehow fixed enough to not show when it is painted because it is very rough and lumpy and has ridges as well that are sticking out. The inside of the mouth has a very prominent ridge around that missing piece in front. So Natali needs to explain if so planned why she just cut that out then and left it unfinished and off to one side. I refuse to kiss butt just because she is a big known artist. I failed that class. I won't pat anyone on the back for what is done to the inside of this mouth period on purpose or not.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

Don't know what you all have inside of your Penny kits mouth but this is what most of us have that we are upset about. Why would anyone plan something to be left like this?

Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

So if we , as reborners , sold a finished doll then changed something on it after the purchase would that be ok???? No. It wouldn't
People have a right to see what they are buying and the right to receive what was in the photo
I don't have to justify my opinion either. I spent the money on 2 kits based on pics that don't portray the sculpt
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

chelle77 wrote:So if we , as reborners , sold a finished doll then changed something on it after the purchase would that be ok???? No. It wouldn't
People have a right to see what they are buying and the right to receive what was in the photo
I don't have to justify my opinion either. I spent the money on 2 kits based on pics that don't portray the sculpt
People are saying we just can't handle ultra realism is all. I want everyone that thinks that to prove that ultra realism looks like that on a human because after all that is what these dolls are patterned after. If I have a real baby with a mouth like that, I would be having a huge medical bill to have the tongue repaired for some God awful birth defect if the child even survived.
Chelle I agree with you and this is my point, If you are going to make a huge change that looks like this, then it should be announced and let people decide for themselves if they want to try to do something with all those ridges and mess inside.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Ginny W wrote:
chelle77 wrote:So if we , as reborners , sold a finished doll then changed something on it after the purchase would that be ok???? No. It wouldn't
People are saying we just can't handle ultra realism is all. I want everyone that thinks that to prove that ultra realism looks like that on a human because after all that is what these dolls are patterned after. If I have a real baby with a mouth like that, I would be having a huge medical bill to have the tongue repaired for some God awful birth defect if the child even survived.
Chelle I agree with you and this is my point, If you are going to make a huge change that looks like this, then it should be announced and let people decide for themselves if they want to try to do something with all those ridges and mess inside.
Exactly Ginny :toast: