Overseas adoption question PLEASE

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Jenny5

Overseas adoption question PLEASE

Post by Jenny5 »

Has anyone ever had a doll come from overseas and get held up in US customs requiring forms completed as an "importer"? (Since it was insured for over $2,500).
I adopted a doll from the UK and he's gotten held up in US customs; they've just contacted me wanting these forms completed urgently, or they will return the shipment! Is there a duty fee? I have never experienced this before- was an error made in shipping?
He was sent Royal Mail, tracking through Parcelforce... I'd love any info/experience anyone might have!

Thank you! :foryou:

Jen xx
:D Jen xx
Annette

Re: Overseas adoption question PLEASE

Post by Annette »

I thought you guys didn't pay customs on anything from overseas??
Hopefully someone can help answer your question.
Hugs Annette
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

I didn't think so either, Annette- I haven't before, and I'm not sure what it means to submit a form as an "importer"... but I will likely find out, since the doll will otherwise be shipped back to the UK :( I will let you know; thanks for your response ;)
Annette

Post by Annette »

Jenny5 wrote:I didn't think so either, Annette- I haven't before, and I'm not sure what it means to submit a form as an "importer"... but I will likely find out, since the doll will otherwise be shipped back to the UK :( I will let you know; thanks for your response ;)
Can you phone them and ask them what they mean? Maybe just tell them that you're a collector, not an "importer". Hope you can get it figured out before they send it back to the U.K.! :shock:
Hugs Annette
bean

Post by bean »

Hi Jen, Yes, that has happen to me .. and I had to fill out forms also because of the amount was over the limit coming into the United States from the UK

Hugs~Bean
Delbra

Post by Delbra »

I order from the UK regularly and there is no such thing as custom fees for coming into the US. If they called you about the paperwork then your seller did not fill it out properly. All of my favorite reborn artist are in the U.K. and I have never had a problem in over 10 yrs of collecting. If I purchase a doll from the UK on a Monday it normally arrives at my house no later than Thursday of the same week. Hope you get this resolved quickly.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dolly Hugs,
Delbra
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

Could it be pqrcelforce trying to collect extra? (Brokerage fee)?
Jane105

Post by Jane105 »

Goods worth over $1,600 imported into the US do incur custom fees I believe the rate is 3%. Have a look at the US customs website they have a breakdown of fees. Way cheaper than sending here. 20%!
Jane

Follow us on social media-
Youtube Facebook Instagram
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

Thank you, ladies, for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
My package appears to be making shipping progress again, despite no response via telephone or email of form receipt- so I am relieved that it should arrive this week.
I don't know yet if fees will be collected, but I will post here again once I find out.
I have heard that there is a cap on insurance coverage ($2,500?) and also that there was some indication that there may have been information left off of forms, but I am not entirely sure of what is all required, from that end, for international shipping and the seller was new to the process as well.
Just eager to for the delivery of a pristine doll (and hopefully no additional charges)!
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I paid PLENTY of customs fees on dolls being shipped to my business in the USA - a doll store 1996-2000.
So, in fact it is true that there is such a thing as customs fees paid in the USA. I always supposed it was because I was a business.
However, since I have been a collector I have never been billed for such fees.
I hope you get your baby soon!!!
Jenny5

Re: ADDITIONAL Overseas adoption question

Post by Jenny5 »

Thank you for your support and concern; I hope to report smooth delivery soon (without additional cost ;)
In the meantime- can anyone confirm WHICH CARRIER is used once the package arrives in the US? I thought it was US Postal Service, but the inquiries seem to indicate possibly Fed Ex... ParcelForce tracking from Royal Mail in UK, doesn't show the local carrier (and there appears to be an additional hold up in TX with address confusion :( I am unsure who to contact though.... the tracking # doesn't work with USPS, Fed EX, UPS, DHL not sure how to guide delivery

Thanks again, for any experience or knowledge you can offer!
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

It could be any of those depending on how the seller sent the package. :dunno: Weird that the tracking isn't working though.
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Jenny5 wrote:Thank you for your support and concern; I hope to report smooth delivery soon (without additional cost ;)
In the meantime- can anyone confirm WHICH CARRIER is used once the package arrives in the US? I thought it was US Postal Service, but the inquiries seem to indicate possibly Fed Ex... ParcelForce tracking from Royal Mail in UK, doesn't show the local carrier (and there appears to be an additional hold up in TX with address confusion :( I am unsure who to contact though.... the tracking # doesn't work with USPS, Fed EX, UPS, DHL not sure how to guide delivery

mine just came the other day which originated with Parcelforce and was delivered byFedEX
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

Thank you for the info, Tracy! Wow, Suzanne- that may throw off all that I just determined:
I called Fed Ex and they indicated that packages are generally transferred to USPS for local delivery. So I called our postmaster, even though the number does not track on usps.com. Best guess is that their is an issue holding it up in transfer from airport, so I am hoping that they contact me or the sender to get necessary info to allow delivery. Number is apparently an "expedited" shipping number, but they have delayed it so much that it's taken 2 weeks so far... just hope it arrive soon, safely!
Was yours an EE tracking number, Suzanne? How long did it take to travel from the UK? Glad you received yours!!
Thanks for support, concern and info, while I worry ;)
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Yes mine was and EE number and it took 4 days to get to me... Mine was not near in value that yours is though. I missed the delivery and had to go to Randalls supermarket to retrieve the package from the FEDEX post they have in there.. however I was able to track it all the way until it tried to be delivered and it said there was a problem with my address. but when I got home there was a fed ex note on where to get it...
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

Jenny5 wrote:Thank you for your support and concern; I hope to report smooth delivery soon (without additional cost ;)

Maybe this will help as far as tracking goes

http://www.17track.net/en

Jo in the UK
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

Thank you, Jo- that is helpful!
Thank you too, Suzanne- I will check for evidence of delivery attempts! Did the tracking number ever show up in the Fed Ex tracking system, or only in Parcelforce tracking? I really appreciate every clue, since it has reverted back to "information needed from Sender" (regarding address) once again! :banghead:
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

Despite the information that I received from someone at the Fed Ex distribution center, it would appear that my package is being handled by Fed Ex!
I located a door tag, receipt of attempted delivery- so my special delivery should arrive today :elephant:

I really appreciate the helpful comments, as your suggestions and experiences allowed me to research options that I would have dismissed (with mixed messages I received from postal companies)!

Apparently the tracking alert was to be ignored, as the sender was never actually contacted for more information regarding the address.
The frustration was that the local carrier was never revealed, until delivery, and the tracking number was never entered into their system in order for me to follow local progress and expect delivery a certain way.

Suzanne's recent experience was much the same, so I feel more confident that Fed Ex will deliver my package soon!

I will post a final (successful) update shortly, I hope :wink:
Kim

Post by Kim »

Great news. Hoping you get your package today!
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

Thank you, Kim- but no such luck :(

I spoke with Fed Ex this morning, having located the door tag left during the attempted delivery. They assured me that the package was on the truck and would be delivered today as long as we left the signed door tag... but NO they left another door tag with the old message regarding "information required from sender" :banghead:
Apparently, they will not leave a box insured for a value that high without authorization from the sender... and the closest pick-up location is over and hour away (with delivery and pick-up options only during business hours).

Ugh, I will be sure to have forms reflect USPS delivery in the future- the expedited service with Fed Ex was probably more expensive, and I'd much rather have the option to retrieve the package from the local P.O.

So tomorrow, I hope all ducks are in a row for release/delivery!