Introduction

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
MikeTheEngineer

Introduction

Post by MikeTheEngineer »

Greetings,

I'm new to the doll making scene. First: I'm a guy. Second: I have zero artistic skill. I make up for this with my engineering prowess. I've developed a new method for creating the molds mixing together several fields of engineering, along with software and hardware. ^_^ This will allow me to create different sizes of the same doll, or whole new custom dolls very rapidly. Or even just different 'natural' poses. Or specialty dolls, like the Na'vi, lil' devils, vamps, werewolves, etc. Or 'disabled' (partial amputees). Or non-humanoid creatures like a beholder, or unicorn. I intend on developing my own skeletal and armature system, to allow the creatures to stand on their own and be posed.

I'm nearing completion of my very first silicone doll. Well, at least the mold/silicone casting portion. I still have to learn to paint... and root.

Speaking of which, where can I find quality mohair, and eyes? Is there any downside to using EcoFlex 20? 30 seems too hard for the body, but just right for the arms. Maybe 20 for head/body due to density, and 30 for arms/legs? Finger/toenails... are they just painted silicone, or they 'stick on'? If attached, where do you buy infant sized ones?

For the forums, do I need to censor the 'anatomy' for pics of the dolls?

As for me personally, I started college at 13 with the intention of retiring early to be a stay-at-home father. I retired at 32, but have been unsuccessful in starting a family. I've tried adopting for the last 3 years, unsuccessfully. (It's an unwritten rule to be bigoted against unmarried males within the foster/adoption system.) I was very successfully fostering for two years, but had to bow out due to the danger the foster agency posed towards me. Again... extreme bigotry. Anyway, I can understand the 'maternal' instinct to care for children. Which has led me to my new hobby. ^_^

Any tips/hints on painting/attaching limbs/rooting would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be doing business as "Beautiful and Monstrous Creations" (BAM creations or BAM creatures).
Mike The Engineer
Have fun in all that you do, for this is the Purpose of life!
Tracy Lorraine

Re: Introduction

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

Welcome to DollFan! I look forward to seeing pics of your work. I'm just a collector, so I'm no help with your questions. Lol!
MikeTheEngineer

Proof of concept: First arm I created, designed to fit with a 16 inch doll. The rest is still in the works.
Last edited by MikeTheEngineer on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeTheEngineer

Tracy Lorraine wrote:Welcome to DollFan! I look forward to seeing pics of your work. I'm just a collector, so I'm no help with your questions. Lol!
I see you're in Sunny Florida as well. I'm about 30 minutes north of Tampa. ^_^
Lori JR

Post by Lori JR »

Welcome to the forum Mike! As a collector, I like your ideas! :headspin:
MikeTheEngineer

Lori JR wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike! As a collector, I like your ideas! :headspin:
Thanks! My goal is to meet the custom needs of each customer, in a rapid, high quality manner. ^_^
Jasmin

Post by Jasmin »

Welcome to Doll Fan ! :hi ya:

Can't wait to see your future creations !
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello
MikeTheEngineer

I've been reading that people wait *MONTHS* for custom orders? So... uhh... if I can create 2-5 custom dolls, start to finish, in a week... is that gonna shake things up a bit? ^_^
DMKreiser

Post by DMKreiser »

welcome to DF!!
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

Welcome to Doll-Fan, Mike!!!
Look forward to seeing your projects in the future!!
You have some really innovative ideas!!
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
NanaCarolyn

Post by NanaCarolyn »

:hi ya: Welcome to Doll-fan :hi ya:
Happy Dolly Days,

Hugs,
Carolyn

Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Welcome Mike. We need another guy here - they've been really scarce. It's wonderful that you are figuring out new things to do and it is going to be fun to see what comes from you. But be warned, under no circumstances should you attempt to create a mold of a baby that has been sculpted by another artist without first getting that artist's written permission. Even using a leg or arm to mold another leg or arm can get you in real hot water. You either have to sculpt your own dolls and parts, or connect with a sculptor and be hired or just asked to produce molds for her/his dolls. Best of luck to you.
MikeTheEngineer

Brooke wrote:Welcome Mike. We need another guy here - they've been really scarce. It's wonderful that you are figuring out new things to do and it is going to be fun to see what comes from you. But be warned, under no circumstances should you attempt to create a mold of a baby that has been sculpted by another artist without first getting that artist's written permission. Even using a leg or arm to mold another leg or arm can get you in real hot water. You either have to sculpt your own dolls and parts, or connect with a sculptor and be hired or just asked to produce molds for her/his dolls. Best of luck to you.
That won't be an issue. All of my creations will be my 'sculpt'. Head to toe. ^_^
Annette

Post by Annette »

:hi ya: Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your creations. :)
Hugs Annette
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

It's always nice to see new artist exploring the world of sculpting and molding. Welcome to the world of doll collecting and artistry it's lots of fun.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

MikeTheEngineer wrote:
Tracy Lorraine wrote:Welcome to DollFan! I look forward to seeing pics of your work. I'm just a collector, so I'm no help with your questions. Lol!
I see you're in Sunny Florida as well. I'm about 30 minutes north of Tampa. ^_^
I'm in the beautiful Panhandle. Did you get your Engineering degree in Florida?
MikeTheEngineer

Tracy Lorraine wrote:I'm in the beautiful Panhandle. Did you get your Engineering degree in Florida?
Mississippi. Started out in Aerospace Engineering just 'cause I wanted to be able to tell my kids/grandkids I was a 13 yr old rocket scientist. ^_^
Eventually switched to Computer Engineering.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

MikeTheEngineer wrote:
Tracy Lorraine wrote:I'm in the beautiful Panhandle. Did you get your Engineering degree in Florida?
Mississippi. Started out in Aerospace Engineering just 'cause I wanted to be able to tell my kids/grandkids I was a 13 yr old rocket scientist. ^_^
Eventually switched to Computer Engineering.

:toast: Gotcha! I have 2 children that are engineers. One electrical & nuclear, the other biological. Both UF grads. I was hoping you were on the same "team". :lol:
MikeTheEngineer

Here's the hand sculpt for my next doll.
Constructive feedback welcome.
Mikki

Post by Mikki »

Welcome. I look forward to seeing your creations
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W