Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
dollval

Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed

Post by dollval »

Hi- I started this post then stopped when once again I didn't know how to post pics. But Cheryl has posted the bid history so please take a look at it and tell me if I am wrong. I am happy to admit it if I am. I have been on ebay since 2001 have 1276 feedback so I thought I understood how bidding worked. Whatever amount you bid, ebay only raises your bid the amount needed to beat the last bidder. Am I right? So, according to Cheryl's post the bidder prior to me bid GBP 760.00 approx $1065. The last bidder, whose bid was retracted; raised it to 1345 GBP or $1886. A jump of about $800. The only reason my bid went in so high was because of the bid above me, right? If the top bidder had not bid, I would only have had to be a small percentage above 760 GBP to win. If this is not right let me know. But no other bidders appear to have caused my bid to be raised except the one that was retracted. I mean if I and the bidder who retracted hadn't bid the doll would have sold for 760 GBP/$1065. So why should I pay $1800?
Since this is how I understand bidding to work, I thought it unfair for Cheryl to expect me to pay my highest bid which was raised $800 over the last bid by a retracted bid.
Now of course it is Cheryl's choice to re-list if she prefers but I didn't think it was fair to tell me the doll was mine if I wanted her, at a price roughly $800 above the last bid, and then re-list her before we had even discussed a price. I was willing to work out a fair price but price was never discussed, and I felt the retraction of the highest bid made my next highest bid invalid. Am I wrong? Maybe there is a non-retracted bid that caused my bid to rise but I don't see it- usually they show when something like that happens. As far as I can see the only thing that caused my bid to rise so much above the last was the one above me, which was retracted.
I have three of Cheryl's dolls the prototype Rainer Strydom , Bronwyn Strydom, who was returned to Cheryl, although she doesn't take returns, and Wilma Wegerich; a Christmas baby whose sale fell through and I got her as a second chance in mid-Jan. After this experience, my enjoyment of them has been diminished.
Last edited by dollval on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
Nellerina

Re: Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed

Post by Nellerina »

I'm not sure what is unfair other than the fact that the other bidder cancelled their bid. I'm not sure why/how Ebay allows that. If you wanted the doll and now you can buy it, wouldn't you want to?
chezababy1

Post by chezababy1 »

WOW Val - this is going to be EPIC
I will post a screen shot of the bidding on my HEDI - the highest bidder messaged me immediately after the auction finish to say CANCEL MY BID !!!
I sent her a message to say how can you do that - she clearly can and is allowed to get away with this as E-Bay have no penalty for this behaviour.
My next highest bid was VAL - E-Bay showed that Val's bid was £1,325.00 and I offered her to Val ......HOWEVER, the highest bid that Val had placed according to Val was £790.00 !!!! Not sure how that works.....
Please wait for my screen shot - I look forward to all your input on this matter.......
chezababy1

Post by chezababy1 »

Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

So sorry this happened. eBay is so unfair in circumstances like this. Best of luck this time around.
dollval

Re: Problem with Chezababy- is this fair? opinions needed post completed

Post by dollval »

Ebay didn't do anything wrong. A bidder retracted their bid, and given that I was unsure what my high bid would then have been since the bid below me was so much lower. None of this is ebay's fault. I was just curious as to how removal of the top bid would affect the amount of my bid.
Becca

Post by Becca »

If you really want the doll I would just bid again on the new auction. She might go for less this time and you might end up paying an even cheaper price :) I feel for both of you, and am not trying to pick a side.
:foryou:
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Well this is a tricky one. The explanation of the bidding process as you stated Val, is the way that I also understand it. The bidder retraction is what throws a monkey wrench into the process. I guess the artist feels since you were prepared to pay the 1,325 that is what she is charging you. Not totally sure what the correct process is when a bid retraction occurs. Hopefully another artist that has had a similar experience can come on here and give their opinion.
Hugs,
Nadia

cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I personally agree that if the top bid has been retracted even after the end of the auction that the auction should go back to where ever it was BEFORE that bid was originally made --- making that retracted bid a part of the auction is not reasonable. But I am not eBay or the seller. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
dollval

Post by dollval »

Thank you Ruth- that is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say, and you put it so succinctly. Yes, and if the bid had been retracted while the auction was still going on, of course it would have gone back to where it was prior to that bid. Should be no different in this situation.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

This is a tough one. I understand your point, Val, but can also understand Cheryl's, as well as those that have left input. Whose to say, though, that if that bid had been retracted during live auction, that the person under you would not have bid again. I think the offer to you is reasonable, as you were willing to pay that amount during the auction and I have sent second chance without ever thinking about looking at the bids to determine the "what ifs" based on the highest bidder. If you are not willing to accept the second chance offer and Cheryl doesn't want to offer it to the next in line at that price(it's always been at the discretion of the seller), then the doll should be relisted to allow all a second chance.
MissyDoll

Post by MissyDoll »

I dont know why people bid and then change their mind. Its not Cheryls fault though. Things happen, and if you dont want to pay that price, then don't and she can relist the doll. When a seller has a non paying bidder, the next best thing is to offer the doll to the next highest bidder, so she didnt do anything wrong imo. I do understand what you are saying though, just unfortunate it happened that way.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

But if you are "offering it to the next highest bidder" that bid should not be influenced by the retracted bid. I also seriously do not think it is ethical to post the information on the other bidders. That is private information for the seller NOT to be put out. If I were a bidder I would seriously object to this invasion of my privacy. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

cookielover wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:43 pm I personally agree that if the top bid has been retracted even after the end of the auction that the auction should go back to where ever it was BEFORE that bid was originally made --- making that retracted bid a part of the auction is not reasonable. But I am not eBay or the seller. Ruth
This is the way I would think it should work too.
dollval

Post by dollval »

Yes, Ruth, I agree with you again about posting the other bidders identities. I was going to post the bid history but from my view it says private bidders except for my own ID. But I just can't keep up with how to post pics here- I can get them into my dollfan album but not into a post.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

[quote=chezababy1 post_id=3382238 time=1522619039 user_id=5679]
WOW Val - this is going to be EPIC
I will post a screen shot of the bidding on my HEDI - the highest bidder messaged me immediately after the auction finish to say CANCEL MY BID !!!
I sent her a message to say how can you do that - she clearly can and is allowed to get away with this as E-Bay have no penalty for this behaviour.

It seems to me that if the bidder WON the auction -- she in fact did win it. As eBay states it is a contract. Therefore she is a non paying bidder and should be treated as such. I would contact eBay and see if they agree that one can cancel a bid AFTER winning an auction.

IF that is true -- that brings up an interesting questions: If seller A has an item up for auction and his friend (or anyone for that matter) bids a high amount and WINS only to say CANCEL MY BID! after the fact of winning. 1. Who decides that the bid is actually cancelled???? -- eBay or the seller....is the bid actually cancelled ....and 2. This could open a door to someone just bidding for the "fun" of disrupting the auction or 3. Raising the final price. I AM NOT SAYING IT HAPPENED IN THIS CASE AS A PURPOSEFUL ACT -- BUT IF THIS IS EBAY POLICY -- IT COULD EASILY HAPPEN. JMO Ruth
dollval

Post by dollval »

Wow Ruth- you seem to read my mind. This is exactly what happened- at the last minute someone swoops in, raises the price $800 then cancels their bid or order as it were. They are off the hook and the price remains $800 higher. And yes, she is of course a non-paying bidder. Yet Cheryl describes her in the new auction as a "time-waster".
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

chezababy1 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:49 pm Image
Looks to me like Val placed that high bid before the person who retracted placed their high bid from the times it is showing of the bid history. The person under Val placed a bid seconds after Val's highest bid OR am I seeing things.

I don't think Chezababy1 should be thrown under the bus with all due respect Val.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
dollval

Post by dollval »

Well, this is why I am asking, and not throwing under the bus. If the person under me placed a bid after me that raised mine shouldn't their raised bid be shown?
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I don't think anyone is trying to throw any one under any bus -- I think we are trying to understand how eBay works.

You are correct that dollval did bid at 7:00.03 with a bid of 1325 pounds.... and at that point a......e had a bid of 760 pounds which dollval actually wanted to outbid. And would have outbid except...

At 7:00:05 B...2112_0 bid 1,345 and WON. That is the important word: WON She now needs to pay the seller since she has bid under an eBay contract. If she doesn't pay she is a non paying bidder. In reality we do not know B...2112_0's bid --- it is only an increment above dollval. B...2112_0 could have bid much, much higher just to do whatever her reason was to WIN the auction. I think many of us probably bid much higher than we expect to pay in order to win the increment above the underbidder..... and we probably don't pay our top bid. That would have been the case here --- without B...2112_0's bid.... doll van would have gotten it at 780 pounds (assuming the increment is 10).

Instead, she retracts her bid AFTER her win. Who decided this?????

Thus her bid should have also been retracted and we are back to the 760 pound bid.

If this were allowed to happen through eBay it opens all kinds of problems. I have altered the bidders names since I feel it is an invasion of their privacy. Ruth