Help! How do I remove stains from vinyl?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Princessdollcollector6417

Help! How do I remove stains from vinyl?

Post by Princessdollcollector6417 »

Hi there everybody! I found a Libby kit and purchased her. The seller gave me a great deal on her. But she mentioned Libby had some smudges that was why I got the great deal on her. She said she didn’t know where the stains came from as she has had her in a shipping box most of the time. How do I get out the stain? I’ve heard of using oxy 10. But I don’t have any. What else can I use? I attached a picture. It’s just her head. Her limbs are fine.
Thanks,
Julie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadelinesNursery

Re: Help! How do I remove stains from vinyl?

Post by MadelinesNursery »

I have no idea. If no one on here can help you ( which I doubt that will happen), you could have the artist ( or if you plan on painting her ) turn them into birth marks or veins. Just a thought. I hope you can get them out !
LovinIt_Crystal

Post by LovinIt_Crystal »

It used to be OXY cream but last time I looked it is now called Zapzyt. Its an acne cream..just cover it and let it sit for a long time. I heard in the sun is best. I would do that for about a week...same cream on, just resting it in a sunny spot and most of the time it amazingly works!
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Any type of blemish cream such as Oxy-10 should at the least lighter the stains. I have used it myself. I put it on the stain, covering it well and let it sit out in the Sun, I have had to do it more than once to remove the stain. Then wash it well in hot water. That happens when the ink of a plastic bag leaches onto the vinyl. Even the printing on th inside of priority mail boxes has ink inside that will transfer onto the vinyl staining it.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland

Would acne cream with 5% work? I have some true pore-fection from Avon. It says one of the ingredients is 0.5% Salicylic acid. Would that work?
Nikki H

Post by Nikki H »

I don’t know what percent oxy has, but it couldn’t hurt to try it if you have it on hand! I have used oxy as well, I wrapped it with Saran Wrap, to stop it from drying out, and then set it out in the sun, takes a while but I have had good results. I reapplied each day. It is an ordeal, and I haven’t had to do it in a long time thankfully!! Best of luck!
avigrace96

Post by avigrace96 »

The stains could be from the inside of the shipping box. I have had this happen, BIG dark stains just like the ones in the photo! They came right off with Winsor & Newton brush cleaner. Give it a try!

avigrace96 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:04 pm The stains could be from the inside of the shipping box. I have had this happen, BIG dark stains just like the ones in the photo! They came right off with Winsor & Newton brush cleaner. Give it a try!
Thanks I just ordered some from Amazon! Did the stains come out right away or did you have to keep reapplying it?
Annette

Post by Annette »

I use Oxy10 that a friend bought for me in the U.K. because we only have Oxy5 here. But I'm sure the 5 will still work. It will just take a little longer to work.
As Georgeanne says, leave it in the sun once you've put it on the vinyl, and keep doing it until the mark fades. :) Hope something works for you.
Hugs Annette

Thanks ladies! I'm going to give the Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner a try and go from there.

Update: I tried the Windsor and Newton but the stains haven't come off :(
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I tried the Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and it didn't work at all for me. But the blemish cream and leaving it out in the Sun has worked more than once on kits to remove stains.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

I hate to be a downer but those stains aren't going to come off in my opinion. I thought Libby kits were still offered by dealers. Smudges as a description are not the same as what the photo is showing. That is not a smudge, its a stain. I feel sad for you and hope that perhaps some of these products will help out or if not that you can find another Libby. I have one - she was my first reborn! Precious sculpt. Mine has a repaired cleft lip.

Susan Cornelius wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:58 pm I hate to be a downer but those stains aren't going to come off in my opinion. I thought Libby kits were still offered by dealers. Smudges as a description are not the same as what the photo is showing. That is not a smudge, its a stain. I feel sad for you and hope that perhaps some of these products will help out or if not that you can find another Libby. I have one - she was my first reborn! Precious sculpt. Mine has a repaired cleft lip.
Bountiful Baby still sells her. They were just out of stock. Her limbs are fine it’s just those stupid stains on her head. If nothing else works, I may just have to find her another head. :(
Threads

Post by Threads »

I live in the UK and obtained my little tube of Oxy from Amazon, I had similar and it took three attempts before I could get the stain out, but it does work. You need to leave it outside in the sunshine or on a window ledge that has lots of sun.
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

Oxy works great .
CatW

Post by CatW »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 pm Update: I tried the Windsor and Newton but the stains haven't come off :(
If you have Oxy 5 go for it or if nothing else, Acetone. I really, really hate to recommend that product, for it to be put to a vinyl doll, however if the acne cream is unobtainable for you, a swift wipe of acetone and a quick rinse under water along with soap will help neutralize the effects of the Acetone. I am fairly sure it is ink and at this stage, I am afraid only two things will remove it. Best of luck, keep us updated, please.
hugs xo, Cat

blui wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:37 am
Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 pm Update: I tried the Windsor and Newton but the stains haven't come off :(
If you have Oxy 5 go for it or if nothing else, Acetone. I really, really hate to recommend that product, for it to be put to a vinyl doll, however if the acne cream is unobtainable for you, a swift wipe of acetone and a quick rinse under water along with soap will help neutralize the effects of the Acetone. I am fairly sure it is ink and at this stage, I am afraid only two things will remove it. Best of luck, keep us updated,
please.
By acetone, do you mean nail polish remover? I have nailpolish remover. I will try to keep you guys updated.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 am
If you have Oxy 5 go for it or if nothing else, Acetone. I really, really hate to recommend that product, for it to be put to a vinyl doll, however if the acne cream is unobtainable for you, a swift wipe of acetone and a quick rinse under water along with soap will help neutralize the effects of the Acetone. I am fairly sure it is ink and at this stage, I am afraid only two things will remove it. Best of luck, keep us updated,
please.
By acetone, do you mean nail polish remover? I have nailpolish remover. I will try to keep you guys updated.
Before you use the Acetone, please try the Oxy first. Use the Acetone only as a last resort.

georgeanne wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 am
Princessdollcollector6417 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 am
please.
Before you use the Acetone, please try the Oxy first. Use the Acetone only as a last resort.
Ok I will try and get some of the oxy. What does acetone do to vinyl?