A doll show where your personal doll is prohibited?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Susan Cornelius

A doll show where your personal doll is prohibited?

Post by Susan Cornelius »

Would you be interested in going to a Doll show where there is a rule that you could not take your personal doll into the show?
I've heard some talk of it on FB for an upcoming show - and I think it simply takes all the fun out of it for collectors. I can't think of another place I have ever felt comfortable pushing or carrying around my doll to get accessories for him/her, or sharing him/her with other collectors. The most fun I've had with my dolls is taking them to a show.
So my answer is NO.. I would not. I would not attend this type of show with a rule that your personal doll must stay outside the show. I would not support it in any way.
How do others feel?
deborahsdarlings

Re: A doll show where your personal doll is prohibited?

Post by deborahsdarlings »

The only thing I heard was you cannot sell your dolls on the show floor if you are not a vendor. As a vendor who has paid to sell on the floor, I would be upset if someone came in and was selling their dolls on the show floor if they haven't paid to rent a spot. I am a vendor for IDTS. Personal dolls have always been allowed on the floor. You just cannot sell them on the show floor as respect to the vendors who have paid to rent the facility to have the right to do so.
Susan Cornelius

Post by Susan Cornelius »

If I can find the post on FB - I will link it. It clearly stated that the show staff is "considering" not allowing collectors to bring their personal dolls. The selling issue was in the same paragraph. As if the one issue has anything to do with the other. GRRRR..
deborahsdarlings

The reason they posted that was because someone had posted on Facebook that they were going to go to the show even though they did not have a table or booth and they were going to sell their personal dolls on the show floor. The post has since been removed from Facebook. However, some of the vendors screenshotted the post and have proof that it was posted. They then sent the screenshot to the show owners.

The only purpose of that possibly happening is to protect the vendors. As long as people don't come to the show and get caught selling their dolls on the show floor it won't be a problem And they won't have to resort to not allowing doll to be brought in. They don't want to have to do that and its sad that they should even have to consider it because of someone else's wrongdoing.

Personally, I appreciate that they are looking out for their vendors. As a vendor, it's very frustrating to spend that kind of money and have someone come in and think they can come in and sell their dolls for free when everyone else has had to pay.

I have done the show since the beginning and it is one of the best shows I have ever done and I have done a lot of shows. The ladies that run the show treat their vendors very well and look out for their well-being.

As an artist, I wish the best for all shows. If I could afford it I would do them all. When the shows are successful we are all successful.

Here is what Stacey Haskins -Cowner of IDTS posted:

"Problems like this will lead to collectors not being able to bring their babies to the shows. We are already strongly leaning towards not allowing collectors to bring their babies to the EXPO center. Private rooms only. It's a shame a few bad apples have to ruin it for everyone. But as show owners, we will do anything necessary to protect the integrity of the show that we spend ALL YEAR working on to make sure our exhibitors/collectors have a great weekend."

It was in response to someone saying they would sell on the show floor even though they did not pay for a vendor spot.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I did read the post & I understood it the same way you did, Deborah. Personal dolls are still allowed at ID&TS. It was stated as being "considered" because there was someone "advertising/publicizing" that she was bringing dolls to sell on the show floor without paying to be a vendor....even after she was offered a table to sell her dolls. I saw the comment as more of a statement that it would be sad if it had to come to no one being allowed to bring personal dolls on the show floor. I know I would be deeply saddened by something like that happening.
michelleh

Post by michelleh »

Susan, Deborah is correct. That consideration was in direct response to someone advertising dolls that they were creating to bring to the show to sell, not being signed up as a vendor. It's actions like this that would make them have to consider not allowing personal dolls on the show floor. Instead of being mad at the owners, who are looking out for the vendors, we need to educate others that this can't be done or stop it when we see it. And no, it wasn't being considered for this years show, the statement was more or less in reference to future shows if this practice of selling on the show floor without being a vendor isn't stopped.

When people try to do this it just isn't fair to anyone else. It has a ripple effect on others.

And I agree with you, these shows should be the one place that we can bring our dolls and have fun.

Hope this helps some.
Michelle

Open custom rooting spaces available

http://sweetpunkinsreborns.weebly.com/

anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

Not to repeat everything Deborah has said, I just wanted to confirm that I know for a fact that she is correct. This is all the result of someone advertising on her FB page that she was making 2 dolls to take to sell at ID&TS. Then when she was told she could not do so, she said she had entered 2 dolls in a show contest in 2013 and they were sold after the contest when people asked to buy them. As a result she said she was not aware this would not be allowed and she is saying the rules must have changed. I don't know that ANY show has ever allowed selling of dolls on the show floor by attendees. All I can say is that to be advertising on your FB page that you are making 2 dolls to take to a show and sell when you have not paid your dues as a vendor is wrong. It isn't like she just showed up with some dolls and had people asking/offering to buy them which she is claiming happened with her contest babies in 2013. She was using the show name and dates as a vehicle to advertise she would be bringing them specifically to sell. It is my understanding that she may have also later mentioned the possibility of just bringing some of her personal collection dolls to set up/show off in the lobby. Given her previous actions, this comment about her perosnal dolls probably sounded suspect to the show owners which is why they even had to make the above statement in the first place.
DMKreiser

Post by DMKreiser »

Just poking my nose in to agree with Deborah, Tracy, Michelle, and Angie ... amazing how one person can start so much drama <not meaning you, Susan lol>
LynnW

Post by LynnW »

I'm a newbie to doll shows (going to Rose for the first time this year) and am a collector (and beginning artist), but one of the things I was really looking forward to was being able to bring a doll from my collection to share and carry around the show. I've never taken my dolls out in public and think one of the fun things about these shows is not only seeing all the beautiful dolls from the vendors but also getting to see dolls from ladies' personal collections as well.

With contest babies, are artists allowed to sell them after the contest (if they are for sale)? Not sure what the rules are here.

So with the example someone gave, if an artist brought a couple dolls they created and walked around the show floor but didn't sell at the show but sold a doll (not necessarily one they brought to the show) to someone after the show, would there be an issue with that?
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/
deborahsdarlings

I don't think what you do outside the show floor is an issue, but I would just ask the ROSE folks what their rules are.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I can understand the shows' positions on the matter. Selling a doll at a doll show without a table is extremely tacky and disrespectful. Taking one of your keeper babies is acceptable, but using the show as a means to sell an available baby is completely immoral. Please don't do it and spoil it for all those that have respect for the community.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

I think it's rude to bring dolls to the show and sell them without renting a table or booth... I would not buy from one of these sellers... I bought a doll before the show from a lady..and she delivered it to me at the baby shower and I paid her the balance owing on my doll... I was hoping that people weren't thinking I was buying a doll from a non paying vendor at the show... but I knew the doll was bought on layaway way before the show..but still felt funny about what others might be thinking... it's hard to know what is going on at these shows...but it would be such a shame if we couldn't bring our babies from our collections to the show...not everyone is able to afford a new baby from the show...and it would be so sad to not have a baby there with you...just my thoughts
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

I don't think you'll have to worry about that being an issue this year. People have already made their plans to go. If something major like that happens, it might be incorporated in years to come.
Perhaps they can do some kind of numbered tag system where you have to leave with the same baby you came in with. Not sure how complicated that could be.
These kind of things have happened at all doll shows. Like someone said above, it's tacky and selfish. It's also a good way for someone to ruin their reputation as an honest artist and seller. Just my 2 cents.
I do really hope this won't deter you, Susan! I also would be upset if I couldn't bring my personal babies. I am a vender there but I'm also bringing one of my personal collection babies with me. :heart:
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

This has been a Problem since the beginning of the Doll shows . It is NOT fair for the Artist!!!who work all year to create babies and to pay booth fees and travel cost to have someone , who had not rented a booth sell there Doll right in front of your paid for booth!! it Has happened to me a couple of times.

If you want to sell your personal Doll do it in the Lobby or at the baby shower.

Lets bring fun and respect back to the Doll Collecting community!! PLease!!!!

Maybe plan a sell and swap night! That could be fun!
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

when I went to a show a few years ago I brought a baby one of my keepers that I painted and then someone asked me if they could buy her... I sold her.. However I was helping a friend with her booth so I guess I could say I did have a booth too... however I can understand totally how this is.. At a doll show I did locally someone was out in front of the building selling dolls... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Also one last thing.. The one person I know of in question here did not realize she couldn't do this ( :dunno: ) and publically apologized on FB saying she felt really stupid and she was sorry. So I don't think anyone has to worry about someone selling dolls without a booth at the show.. and you know.. there is some kind of tag system you could use at a show... put a small tag on a doll and your name and when the doll leaves it should still be in your possession with the same tag..
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Suzanne wrote:when I went to a show a few years ago I brought a baby one of my keepers that I painted and then someone asked me if they could buy her... I sold her.. However I was helping a friend with her booth so I guess I could say I did have a booth too... however I can understand totally how this is.. At a doll show I did locally someone was out in front of the building selling dolls... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Also one last thing.. The one person I know of in question here did not realize she couldn't do this ( :dunno: ) and publically apologized on FB saying she felt really stupid and she was sorry. So I don't think anyone has to worry about someone selling dolls without a booth at the show.. and you know.. there is some kind of tag system you could use at a show... put a small tag on a doll and your name and when the doll leaves it should still be in your possession with the same tag..
I am just going to add a little to what Suzanne said! Yes...it is in fact true about what took place in 2013 about the selling of 2 dolls. The person in question did not come to DEDS (the name of the doll show then) with the intentions of selling them. She entered them in the contest and numerous ladies were interested in adopting them. She did end up selling them Sunday after the doll show was over. She roomed with me so I know exactly what happened. I remember the ladies who wanted to purchase the dolls and the person in question said she had absolutely nothing to go with them because she had no intentions of selling them. If my memory serves me right she had to send the extras after returning home to Ohio. I also remember her mentioning that she could take the dolls home with her and ship them from there, but the ladies understandably so were both wanting to be able to take the babies home from the show as 95% of us would have wanted.

The person in question has apologized over and over again for her actions. She posted it on Facebook apologizing to the owners and everyone that she offended. She went as far as going live on her Youtube channel and apologized. I watched it, but she has since deleted it because she was crying in it.

Her reasons for going to the doll show this year was not to sell her dolls, but to see everyone and have a good time, buy supplies, kits, clothing and she told me she was in hopes of bringing home a new baby! Not to mention she is newly married and her new husband is super excited to attend. He is a very supportive husband when it comes to the babies. I do not have a dog in this fight, but I know that their was never any malicious intentions on her part.

We all make mistakes and do stupid things! No one is free of those what in the hell was I thinking moments! Call it stupidity, call it whatever, but I have known this person for several years and I do not think she would do anything intentional to any other doll artist!
deborahsdarlings

I know nothing about prior shows. I do know there is a screen shot of babies and it says "will be available for adoption at the IDTS show in NC". I also know an apology was made and it was said the individual was not aware they were not allowed to sell at the show. There is documentation of all of it.

My only purpose for responding was to let people know you can bring your personal dolls to the show and they have not banned that. The mention of the possibility was to say if the attempt to sell on the floor continues, it will leave them no choice.

I have nothing against anyone. I want everyone to come. I want everyone to enjoy. I want all shows to be successful.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

She entered them in the contest and numerous ladies were interested in adopting them. She did end up selling them Sunday after the doll show was over. She roomed with me so I know exactly what happened. I remember the ladies who wanted to purchase the dolls and the person in question said she had absolutely nothing to go with them because she had no intentions of selling them. If my memory serves me right she had to send the extras after returning home to Ohio. I also remember her mentioning that she could take the dolls home with her and ship them from there, but the ladies understandably so were both wanting to be able to take the babies home from the show as 95% of us would have wanted.
I am not really clear as to how this person came to the conclusion that since the above happened at a 2013 DEDS that it would be ok to advertise that she was making 2 reborns to take to ID&TS 2017 where they would be available for sale? However, the 2 situations are vastly different occurrences. In the first case it was a happenstance that people approached her and asked her if they could buy her dolls after they had won a contest
(if my understanding of this is correct.) In this year's case, she was advertising she would have dolls for sale at ID&TS without being an actual vendor.

Regardless of how this misunderstanding on her part came about, she was informed of the rules and that should have been the end of it. There was no need for her to feel embarrassed about it or unwelcomed at the show by anyone. It is the public postings by her, videos of apologies, misinformation being propagated etc. that has made this a way bigger deal than it should have been. No one has ever wished this person any ill will. It is the desire of us all that she attend as planned and have a wonderful time. What we do not like seeing is when the show rules are misrepresented or the show put in a bad light because of the misinformation being spread by others. This is the only reason I made comment as well.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

deborahsdarlings wrote:I know nothing about prior shows. I do know there is a screen shot of babies and it says "will be available for adoption at the IDTS show in NC". I also know an apology was made and it was said the individual was not aware they were not allowed to sell at the show. There is documentation of all of it.

My only purpose for responding was to let people know you can bring your personal dolls to the show and they have not banned that. The mention of the possibility was to say if the attempt to sell on the floor continues, it will leave them no choice.

I have nothing against anyone. I want everyone to come. I want everyone to enjoy. I want all shows to be successful.
You are so sweet! That last line says it all! Everyone lets go and have a great time enjoying what we all love..... Babies!
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

anjsmiles Angie wrote:
She entered them in the contest and numerous ladies were interested in adopting them. She did end up selling them Sunday after the doll show was over. She roomed with me so I know exactly what happened. I remember the ladies who wanted to purchase the dolls and the person in question said she had absolutely nothing to go with them because she had no intentions of selling them. If my memory serves me right she had to send the extras after returning home to Ohio. I also remember her mentioning that she could take the dolls home with her and ship them from there, but the ladies understandably so were both wanting to be able to take the babies home from the show as 95% of us would have wanted.
I am not really clear as to how this person came to the conclusion that since the above happened at a 2013 DEDS that it would be ok to advertise that she was making 2 reborns to take to ID&TS 2017 where they would be available for sale? However, the 2 situations are vastly different occurrences. In the first case it was a happenstance that people approached her and asked her if they could buy her dolls after they had won a contest
(if my understanding of this is correct.) In this year's case, she was advertising she would have dolls for sale at ID&TS without being an actual vendor.

Regardless of how this misunderstanding on her part came about, she was informed of the rules and that should have been the end of it. There was no need for her to feel embarrassed about it or unwelcomed at the show by anyone. It is the public postings by her, videos of apologies, misinformation being propagated etc. that has made this a way bigger deal than it should have been. No one has ever wished this person any ill will. It is the desire of us all that she attend as planned and have a wonderful time. What we do not like seeing is when the show rules are misrepresented or the show put in a bad light because of the misinformation being spread by others. This is the only reason I made comment as well.
Not exactly sure why she went on FB and apologized, maybe she just wanted to let not only the owners of the show know, but also the vendors who paid their money to rent a booth or table that she was also sorry! :dunno:

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.