What attracts you to a doll?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Annette

What attracts you to a doll?

Post by Annette »

I was just thinking about all the different dolls available these days, and the different preferences of the collectors, and wondered what it is, about a doll, that attracts you and makes you buy them?

For me, I love the sleepers, and if that sleeper looks calm and content, I like it even more. :) Relaxed hands, but not totally open, are my preference, and nice baby feet, not what I call “ Fred Flintstone” feet. :lol: Of course, price has a lot to do with it too. ;) Hair is nice if it’s not too thick, and some painted hair looks great too. I think it’s mostly the facial features that I concentrate on, when looking for a new baby. :)

So what do you look for? :)
Hugs Annette
tysonsnan

Re: What attracts you to a doll?

Post by tysonsnan »

I love sleepers and MUST have hair
rooted or painted.I would not consider a bald baby,they look unfinished.
Annette

Post by Annette »

tysonsnan wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:47 am I love sleepers and MUST have hair
rooted or painted.I would not consider a bald baby,they look unfinished.

I agree. There has to be some hair, even the hint of “peach fuzz”, or it doesn’t look finished. :)
Hugs Annette
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I like both kinds, but lately I have leaned more toward sleepers.
JMHO, I do not like bald babies!
I have equally painted & rooted dolls in my collection & like both.
I think the dolls expression is the most important to me. I, too, like the serene sleepers.
I like the babies to have at least one partially opened hand.
And, of course, price is the final decider!
Since retirement, my buying has slowed down a lot!! LOL!!
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
tammiedolz4u

Post by tammiedolz4u »

Initially, it’s the face. I like character and expression in the face but not too much. I have to find them cute. The sculpt must have realism with limbs that are well proportioned and they must have full limbs. Pricing is very important! I like babies with well rooted hair. I don’t want sculpts with both hands closed. I prefer opened eyes but I will collect the right closed eye sculpt. I prefer newborn to twelve months. If it’s a silicone, armatures and a drink & wet system aren’t necessary but are nice. They can have jointed or fused necks and can be either boy or girl.
hjungel

Post by hjungel »

As a fairly new “reborn” collector, I found there are a few things I have leaned toward:

I like either sleepers or awake babies.
Sleepers must look asleep as in alive.
Awake ones- glass eyes. I would rather pay more for glass eyes.

Hair- I do like a good mohair, but if painted- it has to look like hair.

Skin- I like the matte varnish. The texture not only keeps down redness (IMO) but also I feel like it is truly varnished. As someone who is legally blind with some residual vision the feel is just as important.

Along that line- I find myself in the middle road when it comes to weight. Not too heavy, not too light- around the 5-6 pound mark for a 0-3 month size. Some movement for the times I hold one. They sit on shelves, display most of the time- I find those weights allow me to pose them on those shelves/display.

Size: I like a variety of size of infants not so much child size. I also think the hair should be reference to the size of the doll. For example, my own preference is that I am not a fan of long hair on dolls that are 24inch dolls.

What I do not like-
I may be the odd ball, but belly/tummy plates give me the heebie jeebies. When on the doll not so much- it is when they are off. Oye ve!

Vinyl - I loved the LouLou silicone, but I could not justify the maintenance - if she was vinyl and much, much cheaper, different story.

Those are just MY preferences and what I look for in a reborn doll… Picky? Sure.
-Heidi
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Oh boy, that is a good question. I love so many different types of dolls for different reasons which are too numerous to list.

Okay here are a few things:

Cuteness
Prettiness
Funny faces
Smiling faces
Sleeping faces
Serene faces
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Dion

Post by Dion »

:D The face is what attracts me first. It doesn't have to be pretty, but it has to be realistic and interesting. As a retired labor and delivery RN, I LOVE the look of a baby being born and just born. Declan Breedveld is a baby that has a very realistic newly born look. Scrunched face and definitely not happy, but so precious and so full of promise and potential. I love sleepers the best and they can have a serene look, too.

Pretty rooted hair is important, too. It can be sparse as long as it has some and it's well done. I like my dolls heavier feeling, too, but my shoulders aren't liking that too much these days. :(

:foryou: Hugs, Dion
Annette

Post by Annette »

Thankyou for posting your likes and dislikes too. :) It sure would be boring if we all liked the same things.

I also tend to go for the dark haired babies. Probably because both my boys had dark hair when they were born. :) They still do, kinda.....getting a bit grey now. :lol: But I digress....sorry. :)

If I see a doll that makes me go “awww”, and all “gooey” as my hubby calls it, then that’s one I’d buy if it’s in my budget range. :)
I gave my sister one of Donna RuBert’s first silicones, and she kissed it so much that the paint wore off!! :lol:
Hugs Annette
JESSICA

Post by JESSICA »

a cute facial expression,smiley, open eyes and chubby limbs
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I like open eyed boy dolls with darling feet and hands. Like dolls below 16 inches -- especially 9 inch all silicones. I do have larger dolls but they are getting heavy for me. Doesn't matter too much what material is. I just know "my baby" when I see him or her Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

The face and eyes are what I first look at...…………..the moment my heart melts I know she is meant to be with me...………..Hugs.Kathy
Desiree1115

Post by Desiree1115 »

I'm partial to a sucky lip baby. Which is why I love my Levi & Freya. Newborn size preferably.
suebabygirl

Post by suebabygirl »

I love realism, preemies, hair and delicate features!!! I love the very newborn babies and the preemies best. Great thread Annette.
susan2015

Post by susan2015 »

I agree you pick such great topics to discuss Annette :D
I have a mix of different babies with very different faces & features. But I love cute legs & feet, I rarely put socks on my silicones, I like to see their little toes :lol:
Hugs Susan xx :hug:
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

I first like to be attracted to their faces...hair... limbs and then how they are painted...how nicely their hair is rooted... and cuddle factor...how they feel when I pick them up... I love for themto be as close to life like as possible...

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.