MOONIES IN POLYMER CLAY HELP

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CLAY TO WORK WITH?

PROSCULPT
55%
SUPER SCULPEY
5%
CERNIT
18%
MIX OF ABOVE
23%

Total votes: 22

snugglebeebynoni

MOONIES IN POLYMER CLAY HELP

Post by snugglebeebynoni » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:17 pm

I KNOW I'VE ASKED THIS MANY TIMES BUT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW. :? OK NOW SUPER SCULPEY GETS TONS OF THESE STUPID WHITE MARKS THAT MAR POOR BABIES FLESH. APPARENTLY THEY CAN'T BE REMOVED. SO I ORDERED PROSCULPT. BUT IN READING THESE POSTS SOME ONE SAID THAT THEY GOT MOONIES IN THE PROSCULPT TOO. IS THIS TRUE!! :shock: DOES PROSCULPT GET MOONIES TOO, AS BAD AS SUPER SCULPEY??? :shock: HELP :oops: PLEASE. HOW CAN YOU AVOID GETTING THEM? I'VE TRIED SUPERSCUPEY/CERNIT MIX. IT DIDN'T GET AS MANY BUT STILL THEY WERE THERE.. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAUSES THEM??? AND WHAT KIND OF CLAY DOESN'T GET THEM BECAUSE I'M SICK OF HAVING A REALLY GOOD LOOKING BABY AND THEN AFTER IT'S BAKED I HAVE TO DEAL WITH TRYING TO GET RID OF UGLY WHITE MARKS. :twisted:
I'VE RESORTED TO CALLING THEM "BIRTHMARKS" :)

vegirobin

Post by vegirobin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:24 pm

My experience is that the moonies are much less in prosculpt. If you go lightly over the moonies with acetone then cover the area with a light liquid makeup, it will usually fill in the moonies. You can seal the face with matte sealer and blush as usual.

Deniseyf

Post by Deniseyf » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:30 pm

Ohhh the dreaded Moonie :(
Im afraid it seems to just be a trait of polymer clay!
I think of all the clays Cernit and Modelene seems to have less
c. cracks /moonies than the ones you listed
I use prosculpt and sometimes a 50/50 mix of super sculpey and cernit
I must admit i seem to be getting fewer adn fewer moonies in my sculpts
I think the main cause is air getting in the clay
I really try not to drag the clay when sculpting and look out for any tiny white spots that is air in the clay, or any lumps and bumps that are difficult to smooth thats usualy caused by air too i poke mine with a pin then smooth.
I think the longer you sculpt and the better you get the less moonies youll get. I still struggle a bit with doing full legs so the clay gets played with a lot before they are finished! :?
and always have more moonies than say a head.
I seldom get them on my sculpted heads now. but its so annoying when they do happen :x and its always seems to be on a head you really like :cry:

snugglebeebynoni

Post by snugglebeebynoni » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:42 pm

I TRIED THE ACETONE BUT NOT WITH THE LIQUID MAKUP. THE ACETONE WORKED ON LITTLE SCRATCHES AND SURFACE MARKS BUT SOME OF THOSE MOONIES :moon: ARE AWFULLY DEEP. I'VE HEARD OF CUTTING THEM OUT AND REFILLING WITH CLAY AND BAKING AGAIN BUT I'M TOO CHICKEN TO TRY IT. THANKS FOR THE REPLY...

ElizabethRW

Post by ElizabethRW » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:58 pm

I agree with Denise--it seems to be trapped air in the clay, sometimes. Also, they can be caused by baking too long. I get far fewer in Prosculpt than I did when I was using Supersculpey.

Deniseyf

Post by Deniseyf » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 pm

I forgot to add
I ALWAYS leave my sculpted piece to COMPLETLY cool in the oven
I always bake before going to bed turn off the oven and dont peek before the morning
I dont know if its been prooved or not but its been suggested the sudden change in temperature can cause cracks and moonies
I wont take the chance :?
so never remove a warm peice from the oven

snugglebeebynoni

Post by snugglebeebynoni » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:31 pm

YOU KNOW :noidea: THE KEEP IT IN THE OVEN TILL IT'S COOL MAKES SENSE. I WILL TRY THAT WITH THE NEXT BABY. I HAD ONE REALY GOOD BABY I MADE SO HE COULD BE DRESSED..(2" IN LENGTH) AND HIS ARM AND BOTH LEGS JUST SNAPPED OFF LIKE THEY WERE TOOTHPICKS :shock:
IT HAPPENED WHILE I WAS SANDING A FEW ROUGH SPOTS. I WAS SO SAD :( BECAUSE HIS FACE WAS SOO GOOD. I PUT THE DETACHED PARTS BACK ON WITH CLAY AND REBAKED BUT TYOU CAN SEE THE SEAMS. BOOHOO ANY SUGGGESTIONS TO COVER THOSE UP. AND DOES SUPER SCUPLEY USUALLY BREAK THAT EASY?? HUGS

amydough

Post by amydough » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 am

I remember reading somewhere that SS is one of the weakest of the clays and cernit is the strongest.

Do you have a pasta machine? Or maybe a rolling pin where you can roll out a REALLY REALLY thin sheet of clay. I've had to repair one of my dolls once and you could see the seam. So I rolled out a REALLY thin sheet and covered the seam area. That completely masked the line. You can also strategically paint the area if the seam isnt overly noticeable. :)

Becky'spreemies

Post by Becky'spreemies » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:24 am

experience....maybe is the best thing to stop blemishes. When I first started scuplting, I started with Fimo....I don't remember getting any moons, but then I went for bigger projects and used straight SS....the moons were terrible at times, and other times not a mark. It depends on a lot of things ie. the weather, the blend of SS (you never know what you are going to get from a shop), your oven, etc. Then I tried mixing SS with premo, fimo or cernit.....it was better. I tried ProSculpt and that was pretty good too....but over time I was getting more aware of what I was working with and tried to make sure there weren't and air bubbles trapped under the surface....now I mostly mix my clays, because I like the skin tone and depth it prduces....but I can even work with SS and not get many blemishes (depending on the blend of SS....the summer blend "Firm" is MUCH better).
Becky

Terry Q-ABCDollsCo

Post by Terry Q-ABCDollsCo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:03 am

well SS is terrible and so was Premo for me.

However I have learned that heat plays a big part. I bake my babies at 170 degrees for 10 to 20 minutes first to get it to start curing before it hits a higher heat. Then I have an oven thermometer and keep my oven temp on no more then 265, as it heats up hotter then that on that temp. Using 275 right away, puts a really hot, possibley too hot heat on virgin clay. Just my opinion and not that of the manufacturer. :lol:
I rarely get moons now, but I use Prosculpt and Cernit mixed and low heat to start.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:26 pm

Deniseyf wrote:I forgot to add
I ALWAYS leave my sculpted piece to COMPLETLY cool in the oven
I always bake before going to bed turn off the oven and dont peek before the morning
I dont know if its been prooved or not but its been suggested the sudden change in temperature can cause cracks and moonies
I wont take the chance :?
so never remove a warm peice from the oven
Denisey,
that is what I've been doing as well, and I don't get these cracks nor moonies with mine.
Another thing I found and I don't know if its helped or not.... I use baby oil to smooth out and mix my clay up with. When I did this, I didn't get the dreaded moonies or cracks either. Like I said, I'm not sure which it is,... the letting the piece cool completely before opening the oven, or adding the baby oil into the clay. :)

Dottie

Post by Dottie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:18 pm

When adding fresh clay to some already baked; (Usually when repairing
Moomies or cracks..) I would oil the part.. I was told it would act like a
glue.. I found out after a lot of trial and error, that the oil would cook and
cause steam and actually make bigger and greater moonies.. Ouch.. So,
after my nervous break down, (I'm better now.. :rofl:) I don't add the
oil, and I have noticed that it bakes harder and more firm without the oil..
My goodness, what was that all about.. I went around the barn to get to
the house.. :roll:

Laura Tuzio-Ross

Post by Laura Tuzio-Ross » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:08 pm

FROM ALOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR WITH PROSCULPT HERE ARE MY CONCLUSIONS TO ADD TO EVERYONE ELSES:

If you use fresh, new, soft prosculpt there will not be any moonies. The harder the prosculpt, the more moons. Moons are air pockets in the clay, I have cut down, cut out, refilled etc., so I definetly know they are air pockets. THis might happen alot when the clay is OLDER and Harder because you have to use more force to push the clay around and create these small air pockets. With the fresh, soft prosculpt it smooths almost effortlessly, therefore, no airpockets.

Another tip that I find works terrific, is BUY AN OVEN THERMOMETER!!!!
I was setting my oven at 275°F and here my oven was really at 325!!!!!!
I was burning every sculpt!!!! No wonder I had moons.
I spoke with Jack Johnson in person and he looked at my mini babies and said 275 for no more than 15 minutes. I have done this and NO MOONS from this point on. NO MORE ONE HOUR at 200°F for me.

COver your sculpt with tin foil. DOn't ever take it out when it is still hot or warm. Leave in the oven.

NEVER SAND while it is even remotely warm or it will break.
It must be completley cooled first.

JMO!!!
Laura
ETA July 10. Eleanor is available for pre-order!!!
http://www.myworldofbabies.com/avinyl-kits-eleanor.html